Doris Day, the greatest female all-rounder

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I find myself taking the middle ground.

No, I don't think she was more talented than Judy Garland. I think Judy had so much more to her. I do think Doris did some good films. Calamity Jane, The Pyjama Game (I believe this is how it is spelt at this side of the pond) and Love Me Or Leave Me. I prefer the original Man Who Knew Too Much.

I'm not as keen on the sixties movies because she is the same in almost everyone. I like That Touch of Mink but then there isn't a Cary Grant movie I don't like.

I find her singing voice fine but there are better singers on film. Judy beats her hands down, in my opinion.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i think Judy was the most gifted female all round entertainer, but so much was wasted. i think MGM should have given her more straight roles and less demanding musicals. i also think her last film I Could Go On Singing showed at 43 she still had great potential, but that's where it went downhill. she'd been down before, but had always come back. in her mid 40s she's just worn her body out

i think Rosemarry Clooney was possibly a better singer than Doris and i think in White Christmas she showed great potential as an actress holding her own with Crosby and Kaye, but no one gave her a role as good again. i just think Doris over a period of nearly 20-years made classic musicals, classic drama musicals and straight forward dramas
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

John M I agree that A Touch of Mink is completely ridiculous and it is Cary who redeems the movie for me. I find two other of his sixties films far more palatable, Charade and Walk Don't Run.

Hands down Judy wins out for me. Judy's life and career is another matter altogether.

Was Doris Day the sunniest woman ever to grace the screen?