Glenda Jackson MP

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Glenda Jackson MP

Post by stuart.uk »

I have to laugh recalling Glenda Jackson's second appearence on The Morcambe And Wise Show when Ernie Wise called her Dame Glenda, to which she replied it's just plain Glenda. Eric Morcambe told her 'These days we only work with titled people like Sir Michael Redgrave and his jazz band.' then he asked her if she had any titles at all like Leading Stoker.' If the boys were still alive now she could reply Member Of Parliment Lol. however, on the show she did a really good song and dance Fred and Ginger type dance routine with the boys

Glenda has the image of a somewhat plain looking MP, but in her acting days when the role called for it, she could be very sexy, like as Elizabeth The 1st in both the tv series and Mary Queen Of Scots, where i think she out acts Venessa Redgrave's Mary. her other sexy roles included two with Walter Matthou, medical comedy Housecalls and the brilliant spy comedy Hopscotch.

She was also brilliant as the gutsy actress Patricia Neal in The Patrica Neal story with Dirk Bogarde as her husband, who helps her recover from a series of devestating strokes

Getting back to Morcambe And Wise and her first appearence on the show, where she did a musical sketch with the boys about Anthony And Cleopatra. a Hollywood producer saw the sketch and on the strength of it offered her the female lead in the romantic comedy A Touch Of Class with George Segal. the result was an Oscar.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like Glenda Jackson. I have "Hopscotch" on tape, and she is a fine foil for Walter Matthau in that, although, because of the plot, she spends much of the film separated from him.

What ever happened to "House Calls" the first Matthau-Jackson team up? I remember it was pretty successful in the late Seventies, but it never seems to turn up on TV or on tape.