David Niven

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

David Niven

Post by stuart.uk »

Unlike many British actors, who did films in their own country before coming to Hollywood, David Niven did it the other way round, finally making his Brit debut in WW2. he actually had an unusual war. many actors made propagnda movies like John Wayne and others like James Stewart and Clark Gable put their acting careers on hold and joined the armed forces. David Niven is the only major star that i know of who did both. he himself said it was a miracle he survived the war, fighting in many battles, but he still had time to star in the army movie The Way Ahead and supported Leslie Howard in his last starring role The First Of The Few, a great film about the invention of The Spitfire.

David in his younger days was pal of Errol Flynn's, sharing a flat with him for about a yr. he supported Errol in The Charge Of The Light Brigade, dying heroically, but in the First World War Air-Core epic he all but stole the film from Errol in the outstanding Dawn Patrol, a film David himself said was important for his career. he was terrific oppisite Ginger Roger's in Batchelor Mother and played Raffles oppisite Olivia De Havilland.

it was then he did many British films post-war begining with the classic A Matter Of Life And Death, but some of his other 40s and early 50s films didn't fare so well. He played Bonnie Prince Charlie with Margaret Leighton, but the reviews were a disaster.

The film that possibly saved his neck was Mike Todd's Around The World In Eighty Days, a star studded Hollywood epic with Shirley Maclaine. he won an Oscar for Seperate Tables with Deborah Kerr for once as a plain Jane.

David also gave Gregory Peck sterling support in The Guns Of Navarone. he was the star of The Pink Panther and as good as he was, the film did more for Peter Sellers

He was also a great story teller and his appearences on The Parkinson Show were always terrific. Parky told the story of how before the show, David would be violently sick before coming on and enchanting the audience

David was also a great pal of Roger Moore and along with Gregory Peck they did the highly underrated The Sea Wolves.

it was sad to see him in the last of The Pink Panther movies when he was ill, but i can understand why Blake Edward's offered him a chance to reprise his original role. he wanted to help out his pal just as he did Robert Wagner after Natalie Wood died.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

David Niven never had meant much to me until I saw A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH for the first time two weeks ago. To say I was stunned, amazed and astounded would be an understatement. It is one of the most beautiful and spiritual films I have ever seen (thank you, Mr. Powell and Mr. Pressburger), and Mr. Niven's performance was a revelation.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I have always been of two minds about David Niven: I rather like his acting style, but I positively cannot stand his face. As you can imagine, this makes it very difficult to sit through any of his performances, pleasant as they may be. It's a conundrum I've never been able to resolve.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've enjoyed Niven but he is not one I seek out his movies. I watched "The Dawn Patrol" recently and he and Flynn were fine together. He's a great interview and David mentioned in his "Desert Island" list he wanted Niven's "The Moon's A Balloon". It's a fun read as is Niven's other book "Bring On The Empty Horses."

I've seen "The Sea Wolves" and that is a fun picture. I guess most know Rich Little dubbed his voice for much of "Trail Of The Pink Panther."

I'm not sure anyone would think of him as a star (in the Flynn since of the word) but he certainly had a fine career.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i always though David Niven took over where Ronald Colman left off. that reminds me of David's delightful supporting performance in Colman's The Prisoner Of Zenda.

i think if Around The World In Eighty Days had been made 20-yrs earlier, then Ronnie Colman would have been the ovious choice of Fogg
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think his performance in "Separate Tables" is stunning and heartwrenching.

And a great quote, when observing a flasher at the Academy Awards, "Isn't it fascinating to think that probably the only laugh that man will ever get in his life is by stripping off and showing his shortcomings?"
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

He's such a pleasant actor and I can only imagine how much more charming and fun he was to know. His books are among my favorites about Hollywood.

I thought he was marvelous in A Matter of Life & Death, Separate Tables, Bonjour, Tristesse and Enchantment as well as The Dawn Patrol. I still have yet to watch my dvd of Four Men and a Prayer.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss G

i was wondering what your thoughs were on The Sweeney Doc i sent you, regarding the great John Thaw.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss G

i was wondering what your thoughts were on The Sweeney Doc i sent you, regarding the great John Thaw.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Darling, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but I saved your email. I've been swamped. I won't forget, though.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i'm hoping you'll find that the series was off i higher standard than the two movie versions you've seen. i should image that the box sets will now be available to you on regional dvd. bought a new dvd myself, but alas it's not regional

it might interest you to know before you watch it that the actress, who slaps John in the mouth, is one time movie star Diana Dors and my fav comedy double act Morcambe And Wise do a funny scene with the boys. what about too John and Dennis doing Frank Sinatra and Jimmy Durante
Last edited by stuart.uk on March 21st, 2008, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

ChiO wrote:David Niven never had meant much to me until I saw A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH for the first time two weeks ago. To say I was stunned, amazed and astounded would be an understatement. It is one of the most beautiful and spiritual films I have ever seen (thank you, Mr. Powell and Mr. Pressburger), and Mr. Niven's performance was a revelation.
It's such a brilliant film isn;t it.

Stuart I know where you're coming from comparing David Niven to Ronald Colman. I'm not sure he was as good as Ronald but he was a fine actor.

He was a master storyteller though. I could read his books time and time again.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin