Web Browsers - what are you using and why?

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good evening Pat,

I followed the link you enclosed in your post and (after downloading Firefox again) created a new profile. When I fired it up, sure enough, the web page looked exactly like it should, with all the graphics appearing and the drop down menus appearing as they're supposed to as well. Now all I need to do is teach myself how to create tabs again and figure out how (if possible) to import the bookmarks I had compiled while using Firefox previously. But at least I'm on my way toward having things back the way I used to and being able to ignore IE entirely. Even if I'm still using Windows, using Firefox is my way of thumbing my nose at ol' Mr Gates! Thanks for all your help, I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. I'm very indebted to you. Have a terrific weekend and hoist a cold one for me!

As always,

Hollis

p.s. And when I logged in to SSO? I was able to do so on the first try and not the 2nd or 3rd as had been the case with IE!
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hollis, you can restore all of your old bookmarks, as long as you didn't delete your old profile yet. Hit "Bookmarks", then "Organize Bookmarks", then "File", then "Import", and click "From File". Migrate to C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.default. The default profile folder has a bunch of random numbers and letters. Your old Bookmarks file should be inside that folder. Select it and they should be restored. Glad I could help, however minimally.

Pat
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Pat,

Far more than minimally my friend! Quite literally, I would have been lost without your help. I'm in the process of selecting add ons now and so far, so good. One more question if I might? Given that Firefox has the tabs available, what purpose does the bar directly above it (and below the url/search bar) serve? It seems that once I have all my tabs selected, I could make the available screen size that much bigger if that bar weren't there. Any advice? Thanks again!

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hollis, the bar beneath the Navigation Toolbar is for any Bookmarks that you want to access without hitting "Bookmarks". Really just a shortcut. You can hide it by hitting "View", "Toolbars", and clicking beside "Bookmarks Toolbar". Also, you can customize most of the appearance of the Navigation Toolbar by choosing "Customize Toolbar" directly below the "Bookmarks Toolbar" option. Choosing smaller icons or icons with no text will also increase your viewing area. And you can choose which search engines you want to keep in the Google search box by hitting "Manage Search Engines" at the bottom of its drop-down box. You can even search for new ones to add. Have fun!

Pat
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey Pat,

Stupid me! After I posted the message I realized that it was the navigation (bookmarks) toolbar. Just a senior moment! I hope you don't mind the occasional question, it's been a Godsend to have you here to help to this point. Two questions, really. First, after installing different themes to change the appearance there should be three icons at the top of the box, add ons, themes and installation. when choosing the installation icon, there's normally a button at the bottom that says restart firefox, which allows the selected theme to be used. Periodically (unless I'm doing something wrong, which wouldn't surprise me) I lose the installation icon and the restart button and have to start from scratch. Any fixes? Hope I'm making myself clear. Second, do you know of a way to establish permanent tabs that appear each time you boot the PC and open the browser? Three (sorry, I can't count either) Is there any way to have your browser open automatically when you boot up the PC and bypass the desktop entirely?

Thanks a million. I mean that with all sincerity.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hollis, I can't help you with the Themes issue. I've never changed mine. I've added and removed Toolbar icons, etc., but never downloaded a theme. Sorry!

I can help with the multiple tabs on startup. Just load all the webpages that you want to load on startup in separate tabs in the order that you prefer. Then hit "Tools", "Options", and "Main". Under "Startup" and "Home Page", hit "Use Current Pages". All there is to it. If you want to keep some unfinished tabs from your last session, you can also change "Show my home page" to "Show my windows and tabs from last time". Just be sure to remember to change it back to "Show my home page" to get back to just your favorites.

If you want Firefox to start at boot, create a shortcut to Firefox on your desktop if there's not one already, then drag the shortcut to your "Start" button, "All Programs", and drop it in your "Startup" folder there. If you didn't already have a desktop shortcut and don't want one, it's now OK to delete the one you just created.

Again, glad I could help!

Pat
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Pat,

Well, I think I have things (finally) back to the way they were. I was able (with your help, of course) to get the system to start both Firefox abd IE at startup, bypassing the desktop view entirely and saving that much time. I was also able to create permanent (for as long as I want them) tabs in both browsers, and resolved the theme issue. All it takes is to select a new theme from the add on menu (where extensions are shown) and then restart the browser. The only thing I wasn't able to do was to import the bookmarks from one Firefox browser (the default) to the new user version. I was able, however, to simply import them from IE instead. Same result. It's funny how different browsers work differently at different websites. Adblock (plus) works so well in fact that entire banners and other types of ads are done away with and certain sites look almost naked in their absence. I particularly enjoy the "PicLens" extension but can't seem to launch it in IE. There's just no icon presenting itself to use. Again, not a big deal. I can't begin to thank you enough for the help you've given me and the time you've spent in doing so. Like I had said, it's more than appreciated. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

:D