Howard Hawks

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Howard Hawks

Post by ken123 »

Was Mr. Hawks the second greatest motion picture director, in the classic era 1930 - 1960, after John Ford. ? How would you rank him ? :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I really enjoy almost all of his films, in so many genres. Even Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a real gem because it's a musical even those who don't like musicals can't help but enjoy.

I can't say I rank him with Ford, Hitch and Lubitsch, but I put him right after them.
dfordoom

Re: Howard Hawks

Post by dfordoom »

ken123 wrote:Was Mr. Hawks the second greatest motion picture director, in the classic era 1930 - 1960, after John Ford. ? How would you rank him ? :wink:
John who?

For me the greats of that era, in Hollywood, were: Hitchcock, Fritz Lang and Josef von Sternberg. I'd also rate Preminger, Wilder, Jacques Tourneur, Welles and Jules Dassin above both Ford and Hawks.

Hawks was a competent tradesman, but I wouldn't consider him a great director. Although I did love His Girl Friday. And the first half of Ball of Fire (the second half was almost unwatchable).
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I like Hawks and Ford, but I much prefer Dryer, Welles, and Renoir.

Dryer only produced a handful of films, but every one of them is a gem. Welles made great films despite cuts and edits to all his work save Kane. Renoir is the master of French cinema (and some would say all cinema). Lang adapted at least 4 of his (Renoir's) films in the US.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Much as I enjoy Hawks' films, there are at least a dozen or so directors from the period I would rank higher; Lang, Welles, Tourneur, Hitchcock, and Wilder among them.