Hagel Mulls '08 Run

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Hagel Mulls '08 Run

Post by ken123 »

GOP Senator Chuck Hagel ( Neb ) on today's FACE THE NATION suggested that he is open to an independent run for President in 2008.Hagel is a critic of the Bush Administration War Policies, otherwise he is a down the line conservative. :wink:
Vecchiolarry

Bloomberg

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Ken,

I've also heard that Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City has benn asked or is considering running for President through an Independent Party.
I've only heard good things about him and one of them is that he will only charge $1.00 a year salary. I guess he's got lots of money already.

Is the USA ready for a third party?
Canada has a third and fourth party but they don't seem to do too well.
Like the USA, Canada has only been ruled by Conservative (Republican) or Liberal (Democratic) parties. Both are pretty well useless!!

Larry
ken123

Re: Bloomberg

Post by ken123 »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Ken,

I've also heard that Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City has benn asked or is considering running for President through an Independent Party.
I've only heard good things about him and one of them is that he will only charge $1.00 a year salary. I guess he's got lots of money already.

Is the USA ready for a third party?
Canada has a third and fourth party but they don't seem to do too well.
Like the USA, Canada has only been ruled by Conservative (Republican) or Liberal (Democratic) parties. Both are pretty well useless!!

Larry
I really don't know who Michael Bloomberg would appeal to in a Nation wide election, but that might be just me.
In the years 1979 - '83 Chicago's Mayor was Jane Bryne, who's husband, Jay McMullen,was also her top aide at $ 1.00 a year. He was worth every penny of it.

If I a were a Canadien citizen I would probably vote New Democratic. 8)
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hey Ken,

The New Democrat party has some good policies, especially environmental ones. And, they are responsible for forcing universal medicare in Canada.
But, they've had some real dingbats for leaders lately.
One went nuts in a dentist's chair and said he'd had an 'out-of-life' experience. He's now in a BC nuthouse!! Oh dear, not a good scene for the New Democrats!!

Larry
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hey Ken,

The New Democrat party has some good policies, especially environmental ones. And, they are responsible for forcing universal medicare in Canada.
But, they've had some real dingbats for leaders lately.
One went nuts in a dentist's chair and said he'd had an 'out-of-life' experience. He's now in a BC nuthouse!! Oh dear, not a good scene for the New Democrats!!

Larry
Sounds as if the New Democrats are closer to the GOP than I would have thought. Bush gets " messages " from " God ". :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I think Chuck Hagel is a decent Senator, even though I don't agree with many his viewpoints. I don't think that he has the temperament to run for president successfully. Not a smiler or a gladhander. There are those who feel that his telecommunications industry ties are similar to those held by Bush to the oil industry, (though I certainly couldn't imagine Hagel allowing a creep like Cheney to run the show behind the scenes.).

Those who hope that Mayor Michael Bloomberg will run for president may be underestimating the depth of lingering anti-semitism and anti-New York feeling out in the hinterlands of America, alas. I also don't think that being a billionaire or a big city mayor qualifies one for this office, and running NYC is enough for one lifetime. I'm probably in the minority on this point, but in my experience, I haven't seen business skills translate well into executive policy making in the political arena.

Of the field on both sides at the moment, I like Bill Richardson and, believe it or not, John McCain. One of the main reasons that they appeal to me is that I don't think that either man would require the on-the-job training that have helped lead us to our current dilemma in world relations. Both have enough foreign policy experience to tackle the presidency with some foreknowledge of the task ahead, have already established relations with leaders from around the world, have a sense of moral responsibility for the judicious use of American power, and are both outstanding environmental advocates. Lastly, both have demonstrated some political courage in the past, though they are both required to lie down with dogs to get the nomination.

On a personal level, I think Richardson's Hispanic heritage would be an excellent help in bringing our divisive society together. McCain, while I think that the presidency would probably kill him at his age, would be our first Vietnam veteran president, and he sees the military budget with a realistic & critical eye. I think he's probably one of the few candidates who's telling the truth by pointing out that America's potential withdrawal from the mess in Iraq has geopolitical consequences of enormous proportions. Both Richardson and McCain suffer from a similar slapdash reporting in the national media, who cannot take the time to examine their nuanced approaches to policy carefully. Neither man is willing to tell the American people that everything will be hunky-dory in the future, but both have some ideas and may attract a range of different & imaginative people to their administrations.

Lastly, both Richardson and McCain write and speak English with some grace and share a lively sense of humor. These qualities alone may make them duds as candidates, I fear, since pomposity and platitudes too often win the day in presidential politics.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

IMHO McCain has " JUMPED THE SHARK ". :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ken123 wrote: Sounds as if the New Democrats are closer to the GOP than I would have thought. Bush gets " messages " from " God ". :roll:
Christians often "get messages" from God. This is usually achieved through prayer.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

movieman1957 wrote:
ken123 wrote: Sounds as if the New Democrats are closer to the GOP than I would have thought. Bush gets " messages " from " God ". :roll:
Christians often "get messages" from God. This is usually achieved through prayer.
I was referring to Bush's belief that God has give him a special mission in life, such " conducting a " War on Terror " against a country not involved in terrorism, and certainly not 9 - 11, and not having WMD's. My belief is that politicians who belive that THEY have a direct pipeland to God are very dangerous and delusional. Jesus said " Blessed are the PEACEMAKERS " . :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Blessed are the peacemakers."

Too bad the Islamic fundamentalists don't share that same belief.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."