Criterion Clarification

News and Upcoming Releases
Moraldo Rubini

Criterion Clarification

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I just noticed that Criterion is having a sale on their "Essential" collection. I used to haunt the Criterion Collection bins at the local Tower stores and kept up with their stock, but now seem to have gotten lost among all their subdivisions. Can someone explain their divisions? For instance, I know they now have an "Eclipse" collection. I own the Lubitsch musicals set. No extras, just a collection of films that I'd long waited seeing on DVD. They also have their "Essentials" line. I own Criterion Collection's release of The Tales of Hoffmann, but now I see the Essentials division is also selling The Tales of Hoffmann. What's the difference? Bergman's Wild Strawberries is available on Essentials at a great value (under $12.00). How would this differ from the "full Criterion Collection"'s version. Is it just a question of available supplemental material?
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Criterion Clarification

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Moraldo Rubini wrote: Is it just a question of available supplemental material?
From what I can tell, yes.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

From the Criterion site:

The terrific Eclipse series features two or more movies that are "lost, forgotten, or overshadowed classics in simple, affordable editions." (Don't miss the Eclipse Series 17, Nikkatsu Noir, which features 5 terrific crime thrillers from post-War Japan.)

Essential Art House are "movie-only editions of the films you need to know...". Basically you get the great Criterion transfers at budget prices.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

MichiganJ wrote:From the Criterion site:

The terrific Eclipse series features two or more movies that are "lost, forgotten, or overshadowed classics in simple, affordable editions." (Don't miss the Eclipse Series 17, Nikkatsu Noir, which features 5 terrific crime thrillers from post-War Japan.)

Essential Art House are "movie-only editions of the films you need to know...". Basically you get the great Criterion transfers at budget prices.
So as a Supplemental Material Junkie, I'll want to avoid Essentials. Since the price of Criterion packages is so high, I guess it's nice they're making the films available at a lower cost, especially if the transfers are still glorious. And I assume the high price of Criterion is because of the restoration cost they incur? Do they actually do their own restorations? Why do their transfers look better than many other brands? Thanks, you guys, for shedding light.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
So as a Supplemental Material Junkie, I'll want to avoid Essentials.
If you are a supplemental movie junkie (like me), than yes, avoid the Essential discs.
And I assume the high price of Criterion is because of the restoration cost they incur? Do they actually do their own restorations? Why do their transfers look better than many other brands?
Since laserdisc days, Criterion has been the pinnacle of high quality transfers of the world's best movies. They pride themselves on that, and have every right to. Each film they release has a producer who oversees the entire production including restoration and supplements.

I have to chuckle about the "high" costs of their DVDs, though. In the days of laserdisc, a single Criterion movie, with all the trimmings of course, would set you back $125. If you settled for the low frills, movie-only (maybe a commentary), the single movie would cost $50. That's if the film were under 2-hours and could fit on one disc! I don't want to tell you how much I paid for the Brazil 5-laserdisc set (and I certainly don't want to tell my wife).

Now, of course, amazing Criterion box sets are available for less than $100, and most single films retail for $40 or less, and are often discounted at many on-line sites. Criterion is even pricing their Blu-rays at $40, which is a bargain.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS