Patch of Blue (1965)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Patch of Blue (1965)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Comes on tomorrow morning. One of the great films of the 60's. Poitier has spoken about how much he enjoyed doing this one because he felt all of the actors and crew were completely in tune with one another and everyone was giving 100 percent.

How Shelly Winters was the only Oscar winner has always baffled me to no end. This film also showed the great promise of Elizabeth Hartman and she deserved a far better fate than leaping to her death from a high rise. Discussion anyone?
inglis

Post by inglis »

I loved Patch of Blue when I first saw it with my Mom years ago .My daughter watched it with me a few months ago and she loved it as well .I think it was one of his best roles ..Raisen In The Sun is another Poitier film that really grabs ya.Some one on tcm said that they thought Winters was so brawney in Patch of Blue and I have to agree with that word in describing the role that she played . I also Like Ivan Dixon as the brother and in Hogan's Heroes television series.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I definitely agree with all the sentiments. I also love the score to this John, and have noticed it used on other things recently (most notably on some of A&E's Biography shows).

I also think that this along with Raisin in the Sun is probably his best work dealing with race. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner gets a lot of notice, but I never thought that film ever worked as a whole. It just comes off as some preachy propaganda. I have similar feelings about The Defiant Ones and Heat of the Night. Whereas those productions are very grandstanding, POB seems more earnest and real. Poitier and Hartman do actually kiss as well and show much more concern and affection for each other than the characters in GWCD.

It's a shame that Poitier caught so much flack from black power groups who felt his characters were too submissive to whites. Sidney always played dignified characters, but you always felt the power in his performance (and the fact that he could turn on a dime and start cleaning up the floor with you! 8) ). Probably the first film I ever saw him in as a kid was a TV showing of Duel at Diablo (1966). In that one film he instantly became a hero of mine "You oughta play cards Grange--you got natural luck." :P
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I never understood why Poitier caught flack from people about the characters he played. I read his autobiography recently and I admired him for his choices. He stated that he only accepted roles where the characters had integrity.

Sandy K
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Just a note for Poitier fans. TCM has been showing that little bio on him with several clips from Brother John (1970) which is a great film. Lots of people on the TCM website were complaining about it never being shown on TCM.

If you're interested in the movie, Nina's Discount Oldies is blowing out the DVD for $5.95 right now. They also have lots of other great stuff for chump change (Black Angel which has been discussed in the noir section is $6.98 ). Take a gander if the mood strikes.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

And let's not forget two of Mr. Poitier's best early roles: the young doctor in NO WAY OUT (1950) forced to contend with a homicidal, raging bigot played by Richard Widmark and the troubled high school student in THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955). He's positively magnetic in JUNGLE, holding his own with the likes of Glenn Ford and Vic Morrow. Man, he's great in that!

And a tip of the Hatlo Hat to you Mr. Arkadin for the tip about Nina's Discount Oldies; I'm headin' over there right now!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »