Surprise, Surprise! It ws good!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Surprise, Surprise! It ws good!

Post by mrsl »

After a great steak dinner, and a rousing game of childrens' scrabble with my daughter and granddaughter, I returned home around 8:30, got comfy, and promply fell asleep at about 9:00, and woke up at 2:00 a.m. just as the Legend of Zorro was starting. Thinking it would bore me and put me back to sleep, I left it on. And Surprise, Surprise! I really enjoyed it.

All the wild leaps, the swordfights, the tumbles into the dirt, and the crazy black stallion who smoked a pipe, and drank whiskey, just made me laugh instead of cringe. With all the explosions, and killing, not a sign of blood was shown to the viewer. You saw all the action, but none of the bloody aftermath that I hate so much. As an adult watching what could easily be described as a kid's movie, I absolutely loved it. I loved the action movies with Arnold, Chuck, and Sly, not to mention the Die Hards, so this one really pleased me.

I'm going to have to revisit The Mark of Zorro to see if it's the same thing. I recall doing something while it was on, so I never noticed the handling of the violence as such. This movie gives you the old 'Oh my gosh" feeling instead of 'Is it over yet, can I uncover my eyes' treatment.

Kids can thrill at the swordfighting, and Zorro flashing his whip to swing away from a calamity, yet the parents will still enjoy the action of the movie.

I'm not saying everyone will like it, but I am saying it's worth giving a look if you like action movies that won't turn your stomach.

The one funny thing that I thought of was that I'm sure Michael Douglas, and Melanie Griffith couldn't have been real happy about the kissing scenes between Catherine and Antonio - WOW. Catherine Zeta-Jones is just as beautiful as can be and, Antonio, not exactly the kind I go for, is still attractive enough to put your heartbeat into a minor overdrive. The little boy who plays their son is a total pleasure, a great little actor as most kids are, but showing such honest seeming fierceness and anger, but also as sweet as an angel when needed, and a little imp in certain parts.

Anne
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Don't laugh, but I wandered into the room where my husband, son and husband's friend were watching "Sean of the Dead." They invited me to stay and I was like, "Uh--no." But I got sucked in and to my surprise, the movie was actually very funny. Go figure.

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The fun Zorro movie that Antonio Banderas appeared in is one of the few times I understood why this guy might be a movie star. It was very well done and the presence of Anthony Hopkins gave the film some added interest for me. Btw, when Michael Douglas first saw Catherine Zeta-Jones in this movie, he'd never met her, and vowed to do so asap after being bowled over by her beauty and spirit in this film. The rest is history.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Another movie which surprised me was "Legally Blonde." My daughter had been trying to get me to watch it for months and I finally did and it was good.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde