Pet Peeves

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Pet Peeves

Post by movieman1957 »

Ok. Let's see what brings us together with things that really annoy us.

1.This morning I am watching ESPN and during an interview they show the same 10 sec clip 7 or 8 times. But they all do it. FOX, CNN, MSNBC all of them feel like we can't just see the commentators.

2.People who drive through parking lots everywhere except where they are supposed to. I drive down the lane and people cut through the actual parking spaces. I'm good because I've dodged every one of them.

3. Movies/TV shows that are geographically challenged.

So, what are yours? Things at the grocery store? Cell phone use? EBS tests come on during your TCM movie?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
patful

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by patful »

I got a million of 'em, as Durante would say. But your note about people driving through parking spaces brings a good one to mind. Speed bumps used to be little raised lumps of concrete, you slowed down to go over them and your car was none the worse for wear. Now, even when you stop completely, they feel like you're running over a curb. The car feels damaged, my water shoots out of the glass, and I'm reminded that I have a bad back. So I'm one of those that drive around the parking lot if I know there's a speed bump. But I drive verrrrrry slowly and stop to see if anyone's coming down the lane before I cross the parking spaces. :-)

We've already discussed one of my other pet peeves, really wrong hair in period movies, i.e. "Victor/Victoria", "M*A*S*H", and just about any war movie made from 1960-1980.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I wince at the newest stupid words every time I hear them:

1. "Meet up" for meet -- when we were kids we used to yell at each other "wait up!" but we grew out of it.

2. "Reach out" for contact -- Did you reach out to the client about a meeting on Tuesday? "Reach out" makes it sound like you are doing charitable work.

3. Using spaces between a forward slash and the words it separates. Ugh - it looks so foolish: and / or. Why don't people think about what they're doing? The slash indicates that either word can be used - they are treated as one word. Where did this thing start? In a minute and a half, everyone's doing it.

4. And I've already ranted long and hard about the use of "I know" as an indication of agreement:
-- Hey Sam, I really hate a rainy day.
-- I know.
What do you mean? Do you mean you know that I hate rainy days? Do you mean that you hate rainy days as well? At least say "I know - they're awful, aren't they?"

4. "You guys" - I got the creepie-crawlies over the last 8 years hearing the President of the United States refer to anyone and everyone, casually and diplomatically, as "folks," but the currently ubiquitous "you guys" is far worse. If schools were teaching English grammar at all, people would know that the word "you" can be singular or plural, it doesn't need any intensifiers. I hear people in of the highest echelons using "you guys." I prefer "you all" to "you guys." "Guys" is so inappropriately colloquial, and certainly inappropriate for half of the population of any place, who aren't actually "guys." Makes me think of The Bowery Boys.

5. I can't even write this -- everyone, everywhere is saying "file away," for file. I hate this more than anything (since filing is a very large part of my job). This one had to have started in the military, which also gave us "continue on" and "separate out." Now I'm getting filing with Post-Its on it saying "F / A." What does that mean? Football Association? Sweet Fanny Adams? When you file something, it's understood that it's going to be put away; you don't need the "away;" the verb is simply "to file." AARRRGGGHHH - I hate that. Please, friends, be kind to me -- just say "file."

I thank you.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

jdb1 wrote: 4. And I've already ranted long and hard about the use of "I know" as an indication of agreement:
-- Hey Sam, I really hate a rainy day.
-- I know.
What do you mean? Do you mean you know that I hate rainy days? Do you mean that you hate rainy days as well? At least say "I know - they're awful, aren't they?"
:D

[youtube][/youtube]

(Forward to the 00:45 mark)
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

movieman1957 wrote:EBS tests come on during your TCM movie?
This is a contender. I can't count the number of times I've DVD-Red a film and it's been interrupted by one of these infernal tests. I wish they could wait until closer to the hour to run these blasted things. That way, the likelihood is greater that many stations will either be running an advertisement or a commercial.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

3. Using spaces between a forward slash and the words it separates. Ugh - it looks so foolish: and / or. Why don't people think about what they're doing? The slash indicates that either word can be used - they are treated as one word. Where did this thing start? In a minute and a half, everyone's doing it.
Thank you, Judith. But I go even further. I have been on a one person (or, in my case, one guy) campaign for over 30 years to eliminate that construction, with and/or* without spaces. It's not "and/or"; it's either "and" or "or". It's use is lazy and/or* ugly. Boneheaded attorneys!

May we assume that in Brooklyn "youse guys" is acceptable?

* "and" would be appropriate in the first and/or** second instance

** "and" would be appropriate
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
patful

Post by patful »

jdb1 wrote:I can't even write this -- everyone, everywhere is saying "file away," for file.
I used to enjoy The Food Network. Now we're bombarded by each host's catch phrases, "Absolutely fantastic!", "Check this out!", "How easy is that?", "How good is that?", "It's sssoooo good!", "Bam!", "Boom!", "Pat's always takin' my sugar!", "Off the hook!", "Winner-winner-chicken-dinner!", "Cocktail time!", aaaaauuuuugggggghhhhhh!

But the worst for me? All say "cook up", "cook down", "reduce it down", "deconstructed".

I miss Sara Moulton, who actually cooked.
klondike

Post by klondike »

patful wrote:
I used to enjoy The Food Network. Now we're bombarded by each host's catch phrases, "Absolutely fantastic!", "Check this out!", "How easy is that?", "How good is that?", "It's sssoooo good!", "Bam!", "Boom!", "Pat's always takin' my sugar!", "Off the hook!", "Winner-winner-chicken-dinner!", "Cocktail time!", aaaaauuuuugggggghhhhhh!

But the worst for me? All say "cook up", "cook down", "reduce it down", "deconstructed".

I miss Sara Moulton, who actually cooked.
Right off the top of my head, I'd guess you could trace at least half of the new Food Network jargon back to that Debutante-Duchess of Multi-Media Gustatory Spin, the irrepressible Rachael Ray, whom Mrs. K has come to despise with a magenta-eyed passion.
I, too, used to groove on the spectrum of fun & learning & variety that was Food Network . . now, I find I have a growing renewal of respect & admiration for those quieter, smarter PBS kitchen educators, like Rick Bayless, Lidia Bastianich, and the ever-venerable Jacques Pepin.
patful

Post by patful »

klondike wrote:I find I have a growing renewal of respect & admiration for those quieter, smarter PBS kitchen educators, like Rick Bayless, Lidia Bastianich, and the ever-venerable Jacques Pepin.
I used to love those too. Unfortunately, my PBS station is too far away to pick up a decent signal with rabbit ears, and my hearing and eyesight are too lousy to get past all the static and blurry images anymore. One of these days I'll have to upgrade my DISH to include locals.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Another beaten-to-death catchphrase I hear used especially frequently on the Food Network is "go ahead."

"I'm going to go ahead and mix this." "I'm going to go ahead and add these ingredients." You can "go ahead" and do prep work, which would be before the actual putting together of the recipe, so you are in fact "going ahead." I really don't understand the use of this phrase -- "I'm adding these ingredients now (or next)" makes more sense to me.

I'm getting used to "plating," meaning putting food on the plate, but what about the use of "gifting" to mean giving something. It sounds so snooty to me. I half-expect the word "graciously" to be put in front of the "gifting" -- "Out of the goodness of my mighty heart, I am graciously gifting you with a pack of chewing gum." Phooey.

Add to this meaningless phrases like "weather events" to mean weather. And what the heck is a "price point?" It seems to mean merely "price." What's with the "point?" To me, this all constitutes a weakening of the English language; putting everything into the indirect and passive mood, rather than describing direct actions and things.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

Weather events seems to be what they call something when they haven't a clue what it is going to be. In Baltimore this is a frequent occurrence.

I hate the term "going forward." There may not be a better word or term but I think I have heard it so much that it must be time to find something else.

*I don't care what anyone says commercials are louder than the programs.
*Floating ads for upcoming programs over the current program.
*Radio stations that play the same OLD songs. I have heard enough of Gloria Estefan's "Conga" (or whatever it is) that if I live to be 100 I won't miss it.
*Me
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Along the lines of the loud commercials, Chris, have you noticed that everyone on TV now seems to shout? Even on voice-over narrations, the presenters talk at top volume. Why? Didn't he/she have a microphone?

Rachael Ray was the first one I noticed talking much too loud, even when she was the only one in the room, but she comes from sales, and they have to talk loud to get attention. She still does it -- on her cooking show and on her talk show -- no wonder she has throat problems. But now they all do it, and some of the worse offenders are the 8x10 glossies on the "entertainment news." Much as I'm tickled by Neicy Nash on occasion, she really tests my patience with that stentorian delivery (she screams on her "Clean House" show as well). Sheesh, kids, take it down a notch.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I hate the term "going forward."
Good one, Chris. Especially when preceded by "on a" and followed by "basis": e.g., "This is what we are going to do on a going forward basis." Ack! You mean "from now on", "in the future" or -- heaven forbid -- "This is what we are going to do." (as opposed to "This is what we are going to do in the past.")?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hate the fact that commercials are broadcast much louder than regular TV. It's so jarring.

I hate people who block aisles in supermarkets and it only takes one, usually a man of a certain age standing waiting for his wife to make up her mind but standing in such a way that everyone has to squeeze past and still he stands the oblivious.

I hate the fact supermarkets put sweeties at hand level for small children, especially the pick and mix, they deserve to loose some sweeties.

The weather, news and opinions nearly always concentrate on London. Small nation we might be but Northerners are very different from Londoners.

I hate competitive parents.

I'm sure there's loads more were these came from.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

srowley75 wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:EBS tests come on during your TCM movie?
I can't count the number of times I've DVD-Red a film
Mine is nouns used as verbs. :)