The Pagan (1929)

SSO Admins
Administrator

The Pagan (1929)

Post by SSO Admins »

I was pretty impressed with this Ramon Novarro film. A silent movie with unsynchronized sound, it allows him to really comes out (pun not intended) as an actor.

The second of W.S. Van Dyke's South Seas films, it's little known next to the Oscar winning White Shadows in the South Seas, and deservedly so. But Van Dyke takes a very slight story, and with the help of a remarkable cast that includes Renee Adoree, Donald Crisp and the stunningly beautiful Dorothy Janis, turns out a completely entertaining film.

The plot is very basic. Novarro plays Henry, the idle son of a white father and a native mother, who lives as a native. Tito (Janis) is a young half native girl being raised by Slater (Crisp), who is bringing her up as white so that he can jusity a relationship with her.

Henry and Tito fall in love (and honestly, I was in love with both of them -- I can't think of a more beautiful screen couple). Slater plots to drive them apart, keep Tito for himself, and steal Henry's inherited land. Adoree plays a prostitute who is secretly in love with Henry, but works to bring he and Tito together.

Not much of a storyline, but the acting in this movie is fantastic -- not a false note among them. Crisp's barely repressed lechery comes through loud and clear, while Novarro manages to be both indolent and charming. Janis, whose scenes with Novarro are just delightful, makes me wish that she had not chosen to retire at age 20 (she is still living, by the way). Adoree, who unfortunately died far too young, is magnificent.

Not a great film, but a completely charming one.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this film Jon. I have always wanted to see "The Pagan". What about a DVD Set featuring six MGM Exotic-themed films: "The Pagan", "White Shadows in the South Seas", "Never the Twain Shall Meet", "Trader Horn", "West of Zanzibar" and its remake "Kongo". Wouldn't it be great?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

feaito wrote:Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this film Jon. I have always wanted to see "The Pagan". What about a DVD Set featuring six MGM Exotic-themed films: "The Pagan", "White Shadows in the South Seas", "Never the Twain Shall Meet", "Trader Horn", "West of Zanzibar" and its remake "Kongo". Wouldn't it be great?
Actually, I saw The Pagan on a homemade DVD that contained three Van Dyke films. The other two were White Shadows in the South Seas and the talkie Cuban Love Song with Lupe Velez.

I recorded Trader Horn the last time it was on, but we were having a storm and my reception wasn't very good. I'd really like a better one. A West of Zanzibar and Kongo DVD is a great idea.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

jondaris,

:) Hey, I love this Movie! I first saw it a little over a year ago, on TCM. Yes, Dorothy Janis was indeed a stunning beauty! I definitely wish that She had made more films too! The vintage score is wonderful.

I have not watched the movie in awhile, so I will not attempt a detailed description at this time. But I do recall enjoying it pretty much from start to finish!

I have THE PAGAN and WHITE SHADOWS IN THE SOUTH SEAS (1928), back to back, on a DVD-R, I put together last year. I also have "Pagan Love Song" from the film in Windows Media Player.

I love Renee Adoree too. I only have a few of her films though, including her starring role in TIDE OF EMPIRE (1929). The others being THE BIG PARADE (1925), LA BOHEME (1926), and THE SHOW (1927). If anyone has a good copy of Clarence Brown's THE COSSACKS (1928), also starring John Gilbert, and Nils Asther, I would be very interested? I have been looking for this picture for a long time!

The other Ramon Novarro films that I have in my collection include THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1922), SCARAMOUCHE (1923), THE RED LILY (1924), BEN HUR, (1925), and Ernst Lubitsch OLD HEIDELBERG (1927), with Norma Shearer, and Jean Hersholt, which is probably among my favorite films!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:? I knew that I had at least one other film with Renee Adoree, but I just could not recall for some strange reason what it was earlier?

How could I possibly forget? The Movie is James Cruze THE MATING CALL (1928). Renee starrs along side of Thomas Meighan, and Evelyn Brent, in this highly underrated drama.

Recently restored, this picture now airs from time to time on TCM. One of the few Paramount Silent's they seem to be able to show? Adoree must have been loaned out to that studio for this film by MGM? The only time that this happen to the best of my knowledge?

This is probably my favorite among all the films I have Renee in, so I can't understand why I could not figure this out before? Perhaps because she does not show up in the film until about the Mid-way point? Yet her presence is still very memorable.

Again if anyone here has seen or has a nice copy of THE COSSACKS, please let me know? This would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Gagman 66

More Adoree, Novarro

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o Still another Renee Adoree film, in my collection? Of course how could I forget? It's MR. WU (1926), with Lon Chaney, Ralph Forbes, and Louise Dresser! A bizarre tale, with Renee as a Mandarin's daughter.

This one rarely airs on TCM, but it has been shown before. The Maria Newman score could certainly stand to be replaced! It is little short of hideous! Thinking again, the other Ramon Novarro picture that I have is THE FLYING FLEET (1929), with Anita Page.