Pick Your Tarzan

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
cmvgor

Pick Your Tarzan

Post by cmvgor »

The first time I saw a Tarzan movie, the star was Lex Barker, and he became the difinitive Tarzan as far as I was concerned. Johnny Weissmuller had already become Jungle Jim, doing pretty much the same
stuff, only wearing khakis and a pith helmet. Jock Mahoney was 'The Range Rider' on TV, and he had yet to get past 'Yancy Derringer' before
he would become Tarzan. Gordon Scott took over the role in 1955, and I accepted it as destinguished it from liking it. I was in my mid-
teens, and watching Saturday morning TV, before I saw a Weismuller performance in that role. He was still Jungle Jim to me.

I've developed a theory that you can guess a person's (or movie fan's)
age pretty accurately by finding out who was their "first" Tarzan, and whom they consider to be the "right" one. Any other posters with thoughts
on this subject? On meeting someone who starts with Ron Ely, I find we haven't much in common.

Oh. -- One more question: In Greystoke: The Legend Of Tarzan, Lord
Of The Apes
, did anyone in the cast ever say the word "Tarzan"?
"Faint heart never filled inside straight"
--Bret & Bart's Pappy
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Lex Barker was Tarzan when I first started watching movies too. But, then he stopped when he married Lana Turner (I was at their wedding in Turin, Italy)...
Then, they started showing Johnny Weismuller's Tarzan on TV and he became the definitive Tarzan for me.
Probably because I've never seen Johnny in real life and have seen Lex in suit & tie, etc. so Lex ruined it for me.

I've never really taken to any other Tarzans......

Larry