A question for Red River Fans

mrsl

A question for Red River Fans

Post by mrsl »

I have a question that may have been answered somewhere, but I've never seen it, and it just came to me while watching Red River the other day.

At the end of the movie, when they finally kiss and make up, Duke (Dunson) traces the brand in the dirt - the D (for Dunson), and the two wavy lines for the river and then an M (for Matt, I presume). Why would he use his own last name initial, but Monty's first name initial on the brand, instead of a G for Garth?

I know it's a silly question that may have been answered unwittingly earlier in the movie, but I don't recall seeing or hearing any reference to the brand except early on before Matt came to mean so much to Dunson.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: A question for Red River Fans

Post by movieman1957 »

At the very beginning when Dunsun is branding the cows Matt asks him about an "M." He says "My name is Matthew." Apparently he never gave any indication of putting a "G" (Garth) on it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Tom Dunson wore a Red River D brand on his belt buckle. Once Matt comes under his wing, he sees Matt as the son he never had. They, of course, go through the growing pains that fathers and sons inevitably go through and, in the end, they come back together as a family. Seems only natural to Dunson that the Red River D should include the M for Matt's name, as he once again considers Matt his son.

FYI, John Wayne wears the belt buckle as part of his outfit in Rio Bravo and the song that Dean Martin sings, Purple Eyes in the Canyon is the slower version of the Red River theme.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I understand what you're both saying. I caught the line from Monty about some day his M would be on the brand too. I just thought it kind of strange to honor one family name and not the other. Since he never took Dunsons' name, you would think he would want his family to be recognized.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************