WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Fossy

Re: WHAT MUSICALS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Fossy »

feaito wrote:Yesterday I watched the MGM biopic "Words & Music" (1948), just to enjoy the musical numbers featuring Rodgers & Hart's excellent songs....highlights by Judy Garland, June Allyson, Mickey Rooney, Gene & Vera-Ellan and Lena Horne....the story is inaccurate to say the least....but the same can be said of "Night & Day" (1946), "Till the Clouds Roll By" et al....films mainly enjoyable because of its stars and musical numbers...
I suppose that the film makers have to make films that will sell. It is certainly a formula that works. I have always enjoyed biopics. As they say in the classics, Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love Roberta, if only for the extreme contrast between the two couples.... Astaire and Rogers are SOOOOO relaxed and fun to watch, it's like they are on an entirely different planet than Scott and Dunne. They are way more modern and are just having a great time with each other. It's wonderful to see them emerge as stars and steal the show.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Some of Gene's roles are a little corny or a little abrasive, I'm sure he knew it too but when the man danced, you could forgive him anything. An American in Paris is one of my favorite movies but even I have to admit that outside the musical numbers, of which there are many, thank goodness, the film lags a little. The ballet is one of the best 15 minutes ever commited to film, when I watch the whole film I have to watch the ending at least three times and I love the dance by the Seine.

I do like him teamed with Judy, I think she is the perfect foil for his sometimes abrasive, sometimes cocky character, she has a fresh ingenuinity that seems to prick his ego. Leslie Caron compliments him, being the opposite, so does Debbie Reynolds but there is fire underneath. When not dancing I'm not sure there was much chemistry between Gene and Rita, she dances better with Astaire and Kelly has better chemistry with Phil Silvers, it's a film I watch for Gene although Rita is always lovely to look at.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with you 100% Fossy, but I'd like to have on DVD "Lovely to Look At" (1952), especially because of Ann Miller's rendition of "I'll Be Hard to Handle"....
markfp

Post by markfp »

I didn't search to see if anybody was mentioned this before, but last night I was watching STORMY WEATHER for the umpteeth time and no matter how many times I've watched it I'm always amazed the dancing skill of The Nicholas Brothers. How they can do jumps landing in a split then spring back up and continue dancing is beyond me. Just one mistake and they could...never mind, I don't even want to imagine the pain.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

feaito wrote:I agree with you 100% Fossy, but I'd like to have on DVD "Lovely to Look At" (1952), especially because of Ann Miller's rendition of "I'll Be Hard to Handle"....
send an email to [email protected] and ask for Lovely To Look At (1952). It is listed in his catalogue and will cost you U.S. $8.99 including postage.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the information Fossy, I appreciate it. :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

mark -

The amazing thing is, The Nicholas Brothers were still dancing into their sixties, because I got to see them perform at the 92nd Street Y in NYC. Nothing can ever beat that evening in my memory. Not long after that, Fayard retired due to some extremely painful arthritis problems.

They were wonderful, doing moves you wouldn't expect a forty year old to be able to do - the fact that ANYONE could do them is amazing! They did their splits and jumps, which would kill lesser men or women, and even rose up from the floor from a split position which is just plain impossible. I always feel so lucky that I got to see them and I spoke to Harold and Fayard after the show.

Fayard was the sweetest man, quiet, very smiley. Harold was dapper, enegetic, a GREAT looking man, dressed to the nines in dark suit, tie and camel hair coat - tailored to perfection, and not much taller than me. He looked like he was going to a New Year's Eve party when he came out to greet people. A real star, but not snooty at all. He was a very smart man, he gave the impression that he was fairly outspoken and I wondered if he had been so at a time when it was not done.

He carried a slight chip on his shoulder, I think, judging from what he said when I spoke to him. He was upset that their movies were not broadcast more, asked me exactly where I had seen his movies and which ones. I think it hurt him deeply that he had never had any opportunity to become a leading man like Astaire or Kelly or any of the other white dancers who made it in Hollywood. He said he tried everything, finally pitching ideas and scripts since no one seemed to know what to do with them - no one ever really took him seriously. His hurt was very human, not cruel and I can't say I blame him one bit either - Harold and Fayard had it all - looks, talent and drive - they SHOULD have been household names.

I am a huge fan of theirs, and because of this contact with them, I strive to show them to people who don't now who they are. If I were to pick between Fred, Gene and The Nicholas Brothers as to who were the best screen dancers of all time, well......let me say that would be a very hard choice. They are greats who shine through even with the very little exposure they got. Stormy Weather has my very favorite routine of theirs.

[youtube][/youtube]
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Just yesterday, my work-study student, who is a beautiful African-American young lady majoring in dance, told me she had to write a short paper about an article in this Sunday's New York Times about Fred Astaire and his famous Bojangles of Harlem number from Swing Time. (Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/arts/ ... e.html?amp)

She was in a bit of a panic because she couldn't find it online and didn't have a copy of the paper. I found the article for her, printed it out, and then I looked up the Bojangles number on youtube and we watched it together. I asked her if she'd ever heard of Bill Robinson -- no. She hadn't heard of minstrel shows and knew virtually nothing about the use of blackface. She'd never heard of Al Jolson, so we then watched Al, in blackface, in a minstrel show number from Swanee River. (Isn't it amazing that with computers we can watch, almost instantly, this stuff whenever we want to?)

I asked her if she knew about the usage of speciality numbers featuring black performers in musicals -- numbers which could easily be edited out for theaters in the south. She hadn't heard of that either.

And she'd never heard of the Nicholas Brothers -- so I showed her that exact clip you just linked to, JackFavell.

As you can imagine, she was pretty gobsmacked by the stupendous Brothers and their amazing leaps and splits, and we talked a bit about how they would have been famous leading men in another day and age but were not able to achieve the status they deserved because of racism.

Well, when I was 19 I hadn't heard of most of that history or those people either -- with the exception of Fred Astaire, of course. ;) I'm looking forward to asking her about her paper when she comes in tomorrow and has had time to read the article and digest all this a bit. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

What a wonderful assignment for a teacher to give! I am so glad that your visiting student had you as her personal Virgil to help her put things into their context. And what a great deal of heritage this young lady still has to discover in the future. I almost envy her the experience.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about how great it is that she was able to find you, Paula! How fantastic her teacher must be!

That article was killer... thanks so much for posting it!

It gives me hope for the NY Times, where I have found a few articles about movies lately with large glaring mistakes.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Rose Marie (1936)

What a great show. I think that there has never been a team like Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. I also have in my collection Rose Marie (1954). Again I believe that the original is the better, even though the second version is in colour, and features my favourite actress.

A Night To Remember

I am not talking about one of the several films to bear this name, but the imminent onslaught of Cyclone Yasi, which is due to arrive around 10pm tonight. This will be only the second Category 5 cyclone to hit Australia in recorded history. (The other one was in 1917).

How does this compare with recent cyclones? In 1974 cyclone Tracy destroyed Darwin. It was 100 km wide. In 2006 cyclone Larry destroyed Innisfail. It was about 300 km wide. Cyclone Yasi is about 800 km wide, with wind gusts of 300km/h. Expected rainfall is 700mm. (about 28 inches), down from early estimate of 1000mm). Innisfail, as well as Cairns is in it`s path.

I can expect to lose electricity, so that will mean no film watching. (Just the thought of that is enough to give me withdrawal symptoms).
Now I will go and watch a couple of movies while I await Yasi`s arrival.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Fossy - please take care of yourself!

Rose Marie is a wonderful wonderful movie, and it made me love Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. Oh the longing is palpable! I thought when I first watched it a couple of years ago that they MUST be the greatest actors on the face of the earth, if they really hated one another so much..... which then made me look up their real story which was pretty tragic. You make me want to watch it right now.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stay safe, Fossy!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Fossy, we are praying for your safety. I hope you have a place to hide out of the winds.

I have both the 1936 and the 1954 versions of Rose Marie. I like them both.

I have temporarily shifted to Romatic Comedies and have been watching films such as "Fools For Scandal (1938) Carole Lombard, Ralph Belamy, Fernand Gravet

Hands Across The Table (1935) with Carole Lombard, Fred Macmurray

Her Highness and the Bellboy (1945) Hedy Lamarr, Robert Walker, June Allyson.

I now own 521 films so I have a great library to keep me busy. Believe it or not I have actually watched over 400 movies from my collection and many of them more than twice. I have seen "Meet Me In Las Vegas (1956) over ten times. It stars Cyd Charisse and Dan Dailey.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"