State Fair

mrsl

State Fair

Post by mrsl »

I've been channel surfing so much lately, I can't remember if I saw this on TCM or on FOX, but in any case, this is the one I preferred, from 1945 with Jeanne Crain and Dana Andrews and it's not only because of the music. The 1933 version with (who else?), Janet Gaynor was good but before Rogers and Hammerstein took it in tow. 1933 does have good old Will Rogers to offer as the Dad though, which gives the whole movie points in its favor. It's been years and years since I saw 1933 and to be honest, I cannot remember Lew Ayres as Pat, the big New York reporter. Ayres just does not seem to fill the part for me. Dana Andrews is so much more roguish and smooth. I cannot imagine another remake where they could get an actress to wear the dresses that Jeanne Crain wore, with the puffed sleeves, little bows all over, and cutesy pinafores; especially when the other girl comes around wearing her slinky evening gowns and spiffy 1940's suits with matching hats. But the music is the thing that grabs you including the very beginning with the theme song - Our State fair is a great state fair, etc... It's a grand night for singing, with the whole cast in various scenarios, and many others. The whole film is a light hearted, joyful exhibition and one I recommend to rent on netflix if you've never seen it. Also, you have to be really a curmudgeon if you don't get a few giggles out of the mince-meat situation, from home to competing for first place.

Of course I haven't mentioned the 1962 version which you would really expect me to prefer since the soundtrack is the same, and Pat Boone and Ann Margret are the lead characters. It also offers Bobby Darin as Pat, nearly as smooth and roguish as Dana but with a little too much of both added, and teaming him with Pamela Tiffen makes him look like a young dirty old man, with her soft little voice and childish giggle. It's an okay version (a little more adult than 1945), but much of the charm is gone because of that. Additionally, in 1945 the singer doesn't realize what she is doing to the brother, but in 1962, lovely as she is, Ann Margret seems to be purposefully taking advantage of old Pat Boone.

It might be a good thing to watch the '62 first, then the '45 to help you to appreciate the '45.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: State Fair

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I LOVE State Fair (1945)!

The funny thing is, You can't remember Vivian Blaine as the other girl, but you most certainly remember Jeanne Crain in all her bows and ribbons - she is so drop dead gorgeous at the height of her looks. I bet they sold hundreds of puffy sleeved dresses with dirndle skirts that year, it never occurred to me that it wasn't the height of fashion, just passed off by Hollywood as hicksville. It's the most beautiful film with the most beautiful girl, with the most beautiful songs and Dana Andrews, what could be better? And there's also Fay Bainter and Charles Winninger. I dream of living inside that musical, in that perfect farmhouse and looking just like Jeanne.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

That is a happy little dream! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Isn't it? I don't ask for much.... nice clothes; hair, face and figure like Jeanne Crain; and Dana Andrews as my boyfriend. That's all. :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Dana Andrews as my boyfriend. That's all. :D
GASP! Don't let Ben hear you say that...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

oooh. what a faux-pas.... :shock:

hmmm. Now there's a love triangle I could get into dreaming about tonight.

That's if I can get Victor Mature off my mind.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

JackFavell wrote:Isn't it? I don't ask for much.... nice clothes; hair, face and figure like Jeanne Crain; and Dana Andrews as my boyfriend. That's all. :D
Jeanne Crain did have a great face and figure. She certainly was not your typical mother of seven. Dana Andrews as your boyfriend? Why is it that women seem to gravitate to men who are heavy drinkers. I wonder if I should take it up. But then I could not really afford it, and I don`t look like Dana Andrews.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This musical is on TCM tonight. I hope that everyone who has been shivering recently enjoys this sunny little musical (the only one that Rodgers & Hammerstein ever wrote directly for the screen together). Here's a sample:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

For several reasons--you know, real life--I only got to see the end. What a lovely, simple film. Loved what I saw of Charles Winninger and Fay Bainter as a couple (with Donald Meek as a third wheel). The good news is that State Fair (1945) is being broadcast again on Mar 27th at 12:00PM and May 24, at 9:30AM ET.

How was Vivian Blaine's role?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Vivian plays the bad girl, sort of, and as such she doesn't really wow me... but she's very good for what she has to do. Unfortunately, she seems like a band singer to me more than an actress. She has that beautiful warm voice, but her personality in this movie doesn't do much for me. I like listening to her so much in Guys and Dolls, I would love to have seen her onstage in a more interesting role. It would have been better to go with a really glamourous more experienced star in the role opposite Haymes who was a bit wooden and needed someone more oomph-y to bring him out. Or use a different, more experienced actor with her. The two together are the weak links acting-wise (certainly not musically) for me here.

The best thing in that section of the movie is my boyfriend Frank McHugh who is just MARVELOUS as one of Viv's entourage, who gives Haymes the straight dope on Ms. Blaine, and gets him drunk... there is such nuance in his performance, he's a joy to watch, never grandstanding. You see such a deep, flawed character there, but he remains in the background, as a casual observer. Like Bainter and Winninger, he's a pro, without ever drawing attention to himself. It's nice to see these three and Donald Meek get some time on screen for themselves.

I only caught the end - Jeanne Crain in the peasant sleeved green dress with the green velvet bustier and red velvet ribbon belt! To die for! And Dana, without even much of a role to speak of, just wows you with charisma - I was happy to get to see him really delve in The Best Years of Our Liv es afterwards. he's as good in that movie as an actor can be - I wonder why he didn't get a nomination? Too much competition for Fredric March I guess. I hope he knew how good he was in it.

Fay and Charles (and Donald) were just wonderful, adding so much under the surface of these two simple Iowa people, the looks exchanged between them were sweet and drew you to watch them even closer, they really were a tour de force - just when I was sitting there thinking how hokey the part was where Blue Boy won, I saw tears in Winninger's eyes, and I started bawling. I am such a sucker, or Winninger was just a truly great actor who could pull tears from a stone.