Busy Folks

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

Busy Folks

Post by mrsl »

Another boring weekend at old SSO. Everybody must have been busy with th nice weather, or just not commenting because this was a total repeat past week and weekend.

I kept coming on, but nobody was commenting. I did go over to TCM, but I just don't like those people anymore, and when I do attempt to join in on a discussion, I read something that just turns me off right away.

So being a not-outdoorsy person, who hates the sun, I guess I'll just whittle my fingers until the Fall when you guys return.

In the meantime, if anyone out there wants to discuss The Ox-Bow Incident, I would appreciate to hear from you. I finally saw it, when my name came up as next on the list at the local video store.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Every American schoolchild should see " Ox - Bow Incident ", " Broken Arrow ", " Fort Apache " " The Searchers ", and " Cheyenne Autumn ". At least these films will make them think. :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

What did you think of "The Ox-Bow Incident"? I've always thought it to be a very powerful film. Fine performaces all around. The scene with Fonda reading Andrews letter to his wife is quite touching (and I think damning.)

The fact that it was done in about 70 minutes shows good things can come is "short" packages.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

I think it would make a great lead feature on a double-bill with Twelve Angry Men.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Or Fritz Lang's FURY.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I was asked to write on films at friends site on the Dephi forums, so I although I am checking in everyday, I haven't had much time to write here.

I am getting some cool sigs though:

So what did you think of Oxbow Anne?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Although decades old, the Ox-Bow Incident could, and does happen all the time today. I found it frightening and spellbinding. How dumb could those townspeople be that twice they listened to Mr. Davis, and one line from that bully and they were off and running again. Besides that, it was just male ego that kept them on the one side instead of siding with Mr. Davis - they didn't want to be called 'chicken'. As if it's 'chicken' to be right about something just because everyone else wants blood.

Also, when I see a movie like this, I can't help wondering how often it happens in real life. Maybe not so far as hanging, or the death penalty, but how many innocent men are or have been found guilty on circumstantial evidence? or the other way around, and a criminal is let go because his 'civil rights' have been violated?

This is a good. but stripped down version of to Kill a Mockingbird. The accused is voted guilty simply because of town predjudice. Nothing makes me more angry than stupidity and this movie had me boiling at the end. I knew there was something in that letter of course, because Mr. Davis made such a thing of it, and Henry did a great job of reading it. His voice and inflections vibrated perfectly at all the right times.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Image
Just curious - did you make this yourself?

I wish we could use sig banners here...I have made a couple that I'd like to use...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Pktrekgirl,

No, I didn't make it. My wife is a greeter at The Enchanted Signature Collection in the Delphi forums.

They make these kinds of things all the time for people. Since I started working at another forum in the Delphi section (Mckenna's Hideaway) the nice folks there have made me a bunch of sigs. Here's another one:

Signing up for Delphi is free. there are all kinds of forums there. Most of these are only availible for a short time and you grab them while you can.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

mrsl wrote:Although decades old, the Ox-Bow Incident could, and does happen all the time today. I found it frightening and spellbinding. How dumb could those townspeople be that twice they listened to Mr. Davis, and one line from that bully and they were off and running again. Besides that, it was just male ego that kept them on the one side instead of siding with Mr. Davis - they didn't want to be called 'chicken'. As if it's 'chicken' to be right about something just because everyone else wants blood.

Also, when I see a movie like this, I can't help wondering how often it happens in real life. Maybe not so far as hanging, or the death penalty, but how many innocent men are or have been found guilty on circumstantial evidence? or the other way around, and a criminal is let go because his 'civil rights' have been violated?

This is a good. but stripped down version of to Kill a Mockingbird. The accused is voted guilty simply because of town predjudice. Nothing makes me more angry than stupidity and this movie had me boiling at the end. I knew there was something in that letter of course, because Mr. Davis made such a thing of it, and Henry did a great job of reading it. His voice and inflections vibrated perfectly at all the right times.

Anne
Anne, so you enjoyed it? I think it's possibly Dana Anderews best role.

Also of note is the picture that hangs over the bar of a rather nasty looking fellow reaching to grab a young woman from behind. Fonda's comment: "She could do better!" is ironic. As we watch this picture we realize there are no "better" men here. Society itself is shown to be corrupt--gorging on the defenseless like the man and woman in the picture.