Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: The Unjustly Neglected

Post by JackFavell »

Ha!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I have to mention one of my favorite actors in British movies, Herbert Lom. He's a performer with infinite variety, whether it be playing comedy in The Lady Killers or playing a straight laced police chief in Chase a Crooked Shadow. I can never understand why he wasn't given more of a chance at a starring roles himself.

My favorite comedy

[youtube][/youtube]
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Herbert Lom is overlooked a lot as an actor! He was always cast as gangsters, but seemed rather too expressive to be cast that way all the time. He was able to convey something different inside each one. I like him in Night and the City as well as The LadyKillers. He was the original KIng in the London version of The King and I, which seems like inspired casting. He also wrote two historical novels. A good looking man whom I fear will always be remembered in the U.S. anyway, as Chief Inspector Dreyfus, with no nose.

The rare smile.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't watched the Panther films since I was very little so I have little recollection of Herbert Lom in these. He was handsome, it's not apparent in The Ladykillers but he was the gangster I was rooting for. After posting the link to The Ladykillers I had to fight the urge to watch the movie again.

Thanks for the pictures, you're a veritable library of images.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like to post pictures. It keeps me from having to think up something to say. :D

Many times, the pictures say more than I could ever come up with. I hope it's not irritating.... I can never make up my mind which ones to post so I often post too many, I think.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

JackFavell wrote:I like to post pictures. It keeps me from having to think up something to say. :D

Many times, the pictures say more than I could ever come up with. I hope it's not irritating.... I can never make up my mind which ones to post so I often post too many, I think.

Are you KIDDING????? :shock: :shock: :shock: I can count on you and Joe to come up with breathtaking pictures, and one of the main reasons I hang around :oops: :oops: . I don't always comment on your pictures, but believe me, I'm smiling!!!!!

thanks guys!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks knitty! I never know if my good intentions are actually driving people nuts.:D :D :oops: :oops:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

No, Punkin, post away!!!!!!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Let me add a rousing second to knit wit's posts. Love your photos Jack!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Herbert Lom is one of my favorites too. The Pink Panther Series, The Ladykillers, King Solomon's Mines, The Lady Vanishes, and many more movies too numerous to mention here. He's so good in everything that he does and I wished he gotten more recognition during his acting career.

From Many Scenes in the Pink Panther Series

As Napoleon in War and Peace 1956

This movie (War and Peace) came out a year after The Ladykillers and he did an excellent portrayal of Napoleon; I was surprised how well he did in this movie. This is another prime example of how Unjustly Neglected in his career.
charliechaplinfan

Post away, I love your pictures, they brighten up my day.

I never knew Herbert Lom played Napoleon, that I must watch.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

For some reason, George Furth cracks me up every time I see him, and he doesn't even have to say or do anything. I imagine I'll always remember him most for a performance on TV, as Reverend Standfast (who did anything but) on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
CineMaven

FRANCES GIFFORD: UNJUSTLY NEGLECTED

Post by CineMaven »

I checked out tonite's schedule to see what there might be to watch on good ol' TCM. I see there's a cruise theme going, probably in honor of TCM's upcoming Cruise Festival. "Romance on the High Seas" will air at 8:00pm, marking the screen debut of Doris Day. Gosh she's so pretty and vivacious in this movie. She looks like cotton candy and boy, can she put over a ballad like nobody's business and has such poise in the part. She's kind of a hepcat in this and falls for old reliable Jack Carson. I also see a listing for "LUXURY LINER" and my heart durn near skipped a beat when I saw one of the stars of this M-G-M fluff piece would be Frances Gifford.

Yipppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :lol:

You see, just recently I saw the most amazing scene played out and performed by the unjustly neglected FRANCES GIFFORD when I watched "MARRIAGE IS A PRIVATE AFFAIR." I've been a fan of hers for a good little while now...at least NOW that I know who she actually is. She's recently surfaced in my consciousness in the last two-three years or so. One of our illustrious Message Board writers suggested giving "THE ARNELO AFFAIR" a looksee.

I did.

And from the very moment I saw her, I've been a Gifford Groupie ever since.

Check out "LUXURY LINER" tonite and then you'll know what I'm talking about when I submit my post about FRANCES GIFFORD for your perusal in the next day or two. Ooooooh goodie. I can't wait for tonite. Won't you check her out?

:D
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll definitely check out Frances tonight! Thanks for the heads up, and I look forward to your next post about her.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Theresa,

Frances Gifford was a friend of Lana Turner and I think they made a movie at one time (??)...
Apparently, Frances suffered head injuries and ended up in a mental hospital. Very sad end to a career.

Larry