Tallulah Bankhead

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Professional Tourist

Re: Tallulah Bankhead

Post by Professional Tourist »

I haven't seen Main Street to Broadway, don't know much about that film, but here are a couple of promotional photos of the two "heads" together :wink:

Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Main Street to Broadway. I've never seen it myself... but then I have to say I am not getting TCM so chances are small anyway. Her part couldn't have been that big, but it would be very interesting to see.
[color=#400080][i]Perhaps I am mad. How should I know? I think I am normal.[/i]
~Tallulah Bankhead[/color]

I made myself a signature, but found out I can not use it.... world is cruel. :(
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/leaudlunique/avatars%20and%20banners/tallulah.png
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

"M to B" is about a small town girl who comes to NY to 'be on Broadway' - don't they all???
See meets our two ladies and also Ethel Barrymore along the way.

Tallulah plays herself and is in a play about the American housewife and hams it up to make it more interesting!
She does voice the great line after reading the play - "Wasn't Daisy Drudge available, darling!!".... I've used this line myself over the years....
You're right, she wasn't in it very long, but hers was the best part in it...

Larry
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

Vecchiolarry wrote: Tallulah plays herself and is in a play about the American housewife and hams it up to make it more interesting!
She does voice the great line after reading the play - "Wasn't Daisy Drudge available, darling!!".... I've used this line myself over the years....
You're right, she wasn't in it very long, but hers was the best part in it...
I have seen pics of her doing the "American housewife".. it looks, um, unusual. But interesting. I hope, to see it one day, as it's for sure worth because of her... and if the rest isn't I can still fast forward to her scenes. :oops: :wink:

I made myself a signature, but found out I can not use it.... world is cruel. :(
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/leaudlunique/avatars%20and%20banners/tallulah.png
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm just looking at my library catalogue for books on Tallulah, are there any you'd recommend?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Libertine

Post by Libertine »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm just looking at my library catalogue for books on Tallulah, are there any you'd recommend?
Ok, the best book is definitely "Tallulah - The Life and Times of a Leading Lady" by Joel Lobenthal. The book by Lee Israel is also good, easier to read than the former one. Definitely avoid the books by David Bret and Bryony Lavery. Others by Kieran Tunney or Dennis Brian are nice reads, but something you could keep for later.

charliechaplinfan

Thank you, i'm going to rent the book you recommended. I don't mind reading in depth books.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I saw Tallulah in Lifeboat, her character is how I'd imagine her to be in real life. I've got the Tallulah book you recommended from the library, Libertine to see how close she is to Connie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love her in Lifeboat, especially how the whole thing with the bracelet works out.
charliechaplinfan

Yes, she sheds her belongings and with every belonging she learns a little more about life and what is important.