Fort Bowie

pvitari

Re: Fort Bowie

Post by pvitari »

This is it, the very last batch of screencaps! ;)

"Hmmm... do I want to help Thompson or perhaps let him be killed by Victorio?"

Chanzana shows up and sometime between her deciding to go the fort and the end of the battle she was slightly wounded. Whatever happened to her -- we do not see it.

Lt. Maywood and his wife are reunited too. I love that actress who plays the wife -- she's got a great smile. Her name is Barbara Parry. There's no bio information for her on the IMDB and her filmography only has three titles, including an uncredited role in War Drums.

OK, here are a few pics I'm sure some of you have been waiting for. :) Nothing like a pitched battle and death all around to stimulate romance!

Final comment: Ben doesn't take his hat off ONCE in this entire movie, despite any number of action and hand to hand fight scenes -- or other kinds of scenes. :)

The end. :)

P.S. The Self-Styled Siren has an interesting blog post up about racism in the movies -- both off the screen (Jim Crow laws which also regulated movie theaters) and on the screen (where racial mixing was forbidden). The post was inspired by her reading of Isabel Wilkerson's book about the Great Migration of African Americans to the North in the early part of the 20th century and one interviewee's discussion of youth as a movie-goer in a segregated city, and his watching of The Rains Came, about the romance between Tyrone Power, playing an Indian (from India) doctor and married Englishwoman Myrna Loy. Pretty heady stuff for 1939! I was thinking about this watching the end of Fort Bowie, and the coming together of cavalry officer Thompson and Mexican-Apache Chanzana -- because the actress playing Chanzana was of both Dutch and Ceylonese (now Sri Lankan) heritage, so you had what was technically miscenigetion (sp?) both in the actors themselves and with the movie's characters. (Of course Ben himself had some Native American ancestry.) Perhaps by 1958 this wasn't so shocking. The Civil Rights movement was well under way by 1958 and kids were beginning to realize something was coming that their parents had never experienced. (See Hairspray for a joyous musical depiction of how rock and roll was affecting civil rights and young people's attitudes.) Well, I'm blathering... hubby is waiting so I am just going to post this without thinking further on it, or trying to figure out if what I wrote makes any sense. ;)

http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awwww..shucks. that last kiss is so sweet.

This cap just made me laugh...it made me think of Batman.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

*SNORT*

That's hilarious!

I have no idea how you put those ovals with the "blam" and "pow" onto a picture but you should do more of them! ;)