Chuck Conners 5 tv westerns

stuart.uk

Chuck Conners 5 tv westerns

Post by stuart.uk »

I was wondering the other day if any actor/actress surpassed Tim Matheson's 3 tv western shows The Virginian, Bonanza and The Quest. Then I thought of Chuck Conners. Chuck did the popular Rifleman, which maybe his most famous serious. I'm not familiar with Branded, but I'm not sure it was a success. As a kid I used to love Cowboy In Africa, (tv version of Texas Africa Style) a modern day western set in Africa which also starred Tom Nardin and Leslie Howard's son Ronald.

Chuck then played bad guys in 2 western series. He was slave owner Tom Moore, who raped Kissy and as a result became the father of Chicken George. Then in another modern day western The Yellow Rose, he was a nasty rival cattle baron to good guys David Soul, Cybil Shepherd, Sam Elliott, Eddie Albert Jnr and Noah Beery Jnr. Chuck's ex wife in the show was played by Jane Russell
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Chuck Conners 5 tv westerns

Post by movieman1957 »

If you are going based on the number of episodes he was in I wouldn't agree about Matheson's success. He was in 'The Virginian" for 24 episodes and 15 or less for the others. Now, going over his list (imdb) he must be considered very successful as he has quite a list.

For Connors "Branded" ran 48 episodes and "Cowboy In Africa" only 26. "Roots" was wildly successful here but there was a huge cast. Certainly just being involved gives him grounds for discussion for both of them.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."