Talentless Celebrities...

Chit-chat, current events
Moraldo Rubini

Metamorphosis

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

bradtexasranger wrote:I like your idea, but I really don't think it would do much to diminish her celebrity.
It'll diminish her celebrity here anyway, thus making the Oasis live up to its name.

Or perhaps I just feel uncomfortable with the negative tone of a thread dedicated to the "talentless". The Pollyanna in me wants to see the bright side, and I think that behind every "talentless" person is someone (or many) with plenty of talent to spare. The wooden actor who is made to look good by the talented director, for instance. The magic of Hollywood was seen everyday on the silver screen, as their army of magicians transformed the boys and girls next door into gods and goddesses. Now there's an interesting thread idea... who held that midas touch to turn the rough into gold. VonSternberg for Dietrich? Mauritz Stiller for Garbo? Roger Edens for Judy Garland?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

IMHO the least talented celebrity is George Bush. :roll:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Yes Marco, I think you're right - this is a rather negative idea for a thread and perhaps we should kill it before it erupts into a slug-fest.
It was not my intention to be negative but I cannot deny that it is......

Actually Ken, I had to laugh yesterday when I watched the news and some reporter asked George W. if he spoke French and Bush answered, "No, I barely speak English!", which kind of endeared him to me...... Well, for a moment anyway!!

Larry
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Hello Larry,
I thought that Bush's answer was quite good and true ! :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Larry & Nancy:

My 16 year old daughter has Tiny Tim on her ipod. And it's not "Tip Toe..." I would have bet she didn't know who he was.

Paris Hilton gets my vote for no talent celebrity. Some of the others I don't care for either but at least they're making a living acting.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'd vote for the "one-day" celebrities created by the MTV show "Sweet Sixteen", the most vulgar, incredibly shallow, bad taste, with all the worst characteristics of the "nouveau riche" people I have ever, ever seen. When I have seen it by chance (as a sociological document from my point of view) I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing... The epitome of stupidity.

What worries me the most is that some naive kids and teenagers may be seeing this extremely bad example mixture of window shopping, dress choosing, extravagant parties and gifts, etc. as something cool and desirable, when it's only pure garbage.

Sorry for the rant friends, but this show really angers me, especially for the deformation of reality and ethics aimed at kids.
vallo

Post by vallo »

Could not agree more Feaito, My son watches all this "Crap" on MTV. There is a show called Scar, that reenacts how people got some nasty scars from Roller Blading, BMX biking,Skate Boarding, Sking etc... It's horrible. But that who our kids adore. Jackass started a BAD trend the kids love it. And don't even get me started on the So-Called American Idols. They know them all. But the sad thing is, ask them who Clark Gable is, and they are quite puzzled.

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Moraldo Rubini

Sour Sixteen

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:I'd vote for the "one-day" celebrities created by the MTV show "Sweet Sixteen", the most vulgar, incredibly shallow, bad taste, with all the worst characteristics of the "nouveau riche" people I have ever, ever seen. When I have seen it by chance (as a sociological document from my point of view) I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing... The epitome of stupidity. ...
Fernando, I would never have guessed that this show airs in Chile. I felt ashamed when I read your post, as I assumed this was only shown in the United States. I hate that other countries are seeing this terrible show and it's reflection of our society.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Vallo and Moraldo, not only that, "Sweet Sixteen" has ben exported to MTV Latin and there are episodes made with girls from Argentina, Venezuela, Mexico et al. And let's not speak of "Dismissed", "Next", etc.

The American TV Shows have always been copied in Central and South American countries, ever since the times of the Johnny Carson TV Show, through American Idol, the Jerry Springers, Montell Jordans et al.

And don't worry, there are plenty of Chilean TV Shows to be ashamed of too :wink: