TCM Tribute to Nicholas Ray

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: TCM Tribute to Nicholas Ray

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've only seen a handful of his movies, enough to be pretty impressed. In A Lonely Place and Bigger Than Life are enough to elevate him pretty high in the rank of directors for me. He's a director who gets the best out of the actors he uses.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[youtube][/youtube]

My baaaaad. I was referring to John Carradine saying this line, when it was really the croupier who walks towards the camera and says my favorite line (about Vienna) in the entire movie:

"Never seen a woman who was more a man. She thinks like one, acts like one and sometimes makes me feel like I'm not."

ROBERT MITCHUM and SUSAN HAYWARD.

My favorite line in "THE LUSTY MEN" has to be my second favorite line I've heard in films. He's expressed his feelings for the married Susan Hayward. She doesn't return those feelings and they have to part. Mitchum says to Hayward:

"I do think I should kiss you...for all the times I won't."

I've enjoyed the Nicholas Ray films I've seen.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched "55 Days in Peking" on DVD.

It was okay, which is a miracle given what I have read about the filming.

Some scenes were very good. I really liked the opening of the film, with the different national anthems of the foreigners being played at the same time. The subplot with the little Chinese orphan was well handled, and I liked Richard Harris and Paul Lukas in their roles.

While there were some good action scenes, I did not get a sense of the siege as a whole (such as why the Chinese didn't just roll over the legation, since they seemed to come so close to victory on the night of the first day.)

Still, I'm glad I saw this one.