This and that and your opinions

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ChiO

Re: This and that and your opinions

Post by ChiO »

I see a new branch of the franchise sprouting:
Law & Order: Chicago, starring ChiO as judge, jury and prosecuting attorney! But never again a victim.
Maybe that's why I had a new found empathy for Richard Basehart's character last night as I watched REIGN OF TERROR.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

ChiO wrote:
I see a new branch of the franchise sprouting:
Law & Order: Chicago, starring ChiO as judge, jury and prosecuting attorney! But never again a victim.
Maybe that's why I had a new found empathy for Richard Basehart's character last night as I watched REIGN OF TERROR.
Yeah, that's the ticket, ChiO. Look around for those sunny role models like Maximilian Robespierre! Look how sweet his ride through life was. :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Whoops, I forgot: Don't call me "Max"!
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

When the previous episode ended in October 2010...
The last episode of our story ended on Oct. 2 with:

Excuse me -- break in action -- the detective just called to set up a time to pick someone out. He's confident he's found him.

On October 6, I looked at six photographs. I pointed out two that I recognized. The detective then informed me that one lived at the address that corresponded with the phone number called three times from my stolen cell phone and that a vehicle matching the one I had described had been seen parked in front of that address (Suspect #1). The other young man was a known associate (Suspect #2). The police now had probable cause to bring them in.

Yesterday, October 12, around noon, I was asked to come into the station to identify a vehicle.

Officer: Is this it?
ChiO: If it's not, then it's just like it.

I was then informed that it would be impounded and that it was registered to the father of Suspect #1, who was now in custody.

Last night, I went in for a lineup -- five young men.

Detective: Recognize any one?
ChiO: Him (pointing to one of them).
Detective: Sure?
ChiO: Yes.

We walk back into the detectives' area where the graveyard shift detectives are standing and talking. They look at us. The detective flashes a thumbs up and there are smiles. He then informed me that I had identified Suspect #1 and that he had confessed to the robbery and assault, but claimed that Suspect #2 had used the deadly weapon (the bottle). I was then interviewed by the on-duty Assistant State's Attorney. Apparently, this is the first felony that Suspect #1 will be charged with.

The search continues for Suspect #2.

Court appearance: October 19.
As I recall, Suspect #1 (the belter of my face) had his bond set at $250,000. He couldn't post bail. Then, on Halloween night 2010, I was called to Area Headquarters to see if I could identify Suspect #2 (the holder of my arms). Walked into a room with the detective and muttering to him that this may be tough since the guy was behind me during most of the assault. Lights out, curtain opens. Five guys. Number 3, sez I. Curtain closed, lights on. We got him, sez the detective. His bond -- $350,000. He, unlike Suspect #1, had prior felony convictions and was out on probation. He, too, could not meet bail.

(Jump cut.) July 2011. Both gentlemen are still residents of Cook County Jail (trust me, prison would be nicer). Ass't State's Attorney calls. #1 wants to plead to 4 years, and #2 wants to plead to 6 years. I ask if the 6 years is reasonable, and he says it is. I say that if that is reasonable, then I want 5 years for #1 who performed most of the violence. He said he'd throw it out there.

(Jump cut.) Early October 2011. Receive a letter. Suspect #1, approximately one year after having been taken into custody, pled "Guilty" and was sentenced to 5 years. Swell, but what about Suspect #2? I was willing to accept his proposed plea, but he wasn't sentenced? What went wrong? I call the Ass't State's Attorney, who informs me that, upon reflection, his office thought that if I was insisting on 5 years for Suspect #1, then Suspect #2 should get 7 years.

On Halloween 2011, exactly one year after his apprehension, Suspect #2 pled "Guilty" and was sentenced to 7 years.

It was a good show...but no sequel is planned.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

How interesting they sought your opinion.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I believe that's required -- if not by law, then by decent PR. They, of course, don't have to follow it, but victims are allowed input.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ChiO, you have been such a trooper through all of this. I honestly thank the Lord that these stinkers are going away for a good long time to ponder their sins....I would imagine that prison must be hell on earth. I am truly sorry for these guys, what a terrible way to have to live. I am, however, so proud of you for pursuing the matter and being brave enough to hang in there.

This is a good day, and no, a sequel is not desired.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm so glad that these guys were caught and dealt with ChiO and may nothing like this ever happen to you again. Congratulations on your powers of recall that you were able to identify them so well. I hope you and your folks can completely put this behind you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm glad too, I had a sinking feeling seeing your post at first, I was afraid it would turn out badly. I am very glad that they will be put away for a long time. I think it's great they asked you what you thought, and that you were so level headed about it. I don't know if I could be reasonable about their sentencing in the same situation.