Our Man in Havana (1960)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

Our Man in Havana (1960)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great film. Why is this not out on DVD?! A pity they had to show it so late.

Any other fans of this one? It will re-air in Nov. if anyone wants to catch it again.
Moraldo Rubini

Dim Recollections

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Alec Guinness, right? I've never seen it. Just remember -- peripherally -- seeing stills from it or something. The picture that comes to my mind's eye is Alec Guiness in a linen suit. Yes?
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Basically Guinness is a mild mannered vacum salesman who is recruited by the British secret service to work as an agent down in Cuba.

Guinness takes the money for his daughter, but doesn't want to get involved so he just starts faking reports and drawing pictures of huge vacum cleaners as developing weapons of destruction! On of the head agent is looking at the picture saying "this could turn the A-bomb into just a conventional weapon!"

Soon enough though he has to actually deal with enemy agents that are out to get him. In one of the best scenes he plays checkers with the crooked police chief with small airplane liquor bottles for checker pieces. The rules of this game differ in that when you jump another persons bottle you have to drink it!

A wonderful film. As I said, it shows again in November so don't worry if you didn't catch this showing.