John Barrymore

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched "Twentieth Century" last night and thought Barrymore and Lombard were wonderful. Having recently watched "Midnight" again Barrymore seems almost better in comedies than his dramas. I think he really likes to let go.

I enjoyed the movie but I thought the stars were better than the material.
Last edited by movieman1957 on June 14th, 2007, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't seen Twentieth Century in so long I've forgotten most of it, but I do recall feeling the same as you, Chris---that John and Carole really shined but the material didn't do much for me.

I'll have to rent it and see how it strikes me now.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Everyone: Two of Barrymore's best silent movies are coming to dvd! The Sea Beast (1926) co-starring Dolores Costello will be released on Tuesday, September 11th and Beau Brummel (1924) costarring Mary Astor, available on Tuesday, September 25th.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Excellent news MissGoddess! I've made a point of having all the Barrymore Silents I can on DVD. Currently, I already have "The Beloved Rogue", "Eternal Love", "When A Man Loves" and "Tempest".

Now, if only "Don Juan" was relased on DVD, everything would be perfect.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I wanted to mention (although it may not help you where you are) that "Don Juan" with Barrymore is on Oct. 16 at 10:15pm ET. Hopefully you will get to enjoy it soon.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

movieman1957 wrote:I wanted to mention (although it may not help you where you are) that "Don Juan" with Barrymore is on Oct. 16 at 10:15pm ET. Hopefully you will get to enjoy it soon.
Anyway, thanks for the info Movieman.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Fernando---I just saw Tempest last week and was completely mesmerized---it's the best silent movie performance of John's I've yet seen, and one of the greatest of any male performer. I am definitely going to get as many of his films as possible.

I have never seen The Sea Beast, Beau Brummel or Don Juan. The Beloved Rogue is at home, waiting to be viewed and I have seen Eternal Love. I also want to see his version of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

Chris, thank you for that notice about Don Juan---I will be recording!!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes MissGoddess, I agree!! "Tempest" is one of the best Silents I've ever seen and Barrymore's performance is superlative. That film alone made me want to watch every Barrymore Silent I could get. I bought "Eternal Love" afterwards and I had high hopes for it since it also starred Barrymore and Camilla Horn, and besides being directed by Lubitsch... but it disappointed me quite a bit- I want to give it another chance so I'll watch it again soon :wink:

"The Beloved Rogue" is good and amusing, but "Tempest" remains my favorite Silent film of his, up to now. I have yet to watch "When a Man Loves".
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

:o OK, I just found out about THE SEA BEAST (1926) DVD a couple weeks ago. But I knew nothing about BEAU BRUMMEL (1923), until just now! Who is releasing this DVD? Is it the same Mystery company as THE SEA BEAST, and LITTLE CHURCH AROUND THE CORNER (1923)? Has anyone here seen anything before from this outfit called TELEVISTA, before?

:shock: What makes this all the stranger, is that many of you are probably aware that TCM has a brand new version of BEAU BRUMMEL, that will be unveiled in January! As this was the film chosen for the Annual Young Film Composers Competition this time!

:? Incidentally, featio, I think that you will really enjoy WHEN A MAN LOVES (1927), when you get to see it. If you want a very nice copy of DON JUAN (1926), with a big elaborate menu, I can certainly help you there. So please let me know?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Feaito---I too was disappointed by Eternal Love---dont' know what went wrong there with that one.

Gagman---I don't know who is releasing Beau Brummel, but I wonder why they would not wait until the new score was debuted...

You have made me very curious about When A Man Loves, I haven't seen that one either.