What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
mrsl

Re: What are you reading?

Post by mrsl »

Even though it has men and music, the story is still a remake of The Women. Of course I'm talking about The Opposite Sex and the casting is pretty much on the mark with this one. June Allyson as Mary is quiet, serene and lady like as is Norma Shearer, No mother is in TOS, but her part and Miriam Aarons is a composite in Ann Sheridan as Mary's friend and advisor, Mary Boland and Agnes Moorhead are both fine Countesses, and Dolores Grey's nasty Ms Fowler is almost as nasty as Roz Russells, Joan Crawford and Joan Collins are equal - a,hem (that's me clearing my throat), Crystals, and although I prefer Marjorie Main, Charlotte Greenwood is equally fierce as Lucy out at the dude ranch. Paulette Goddard is the friend who tries to help Mary at the ranch, but the character has been written out of the latter film.

I'm sorry, about hijacking this thread, I was reading about The Stage and The Women and totally forgot this is about reading. I could talk about The Women all day and never get tired I think. I'll slink off quietly now.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000FF]JACK[/color][/u] [u][color=#0000FF]FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Oy, I need mental white out too.

One other thing Stage Door has going for it which the article hinted at but didn't come right out and say. In the film there are women of all types, but not one is really stupid. They make fun of each other alright, but each is a highly defined individual with flaws and foibles of her own, and of no less real importance in the scheme of things than any of the others. That is the genius part, these are real women, based perhaps on the real life actresses, with dynamics within the group that feel right. You could bring the camera in obliquely from any angle, view it from any of the character's points of view and see an interesting story.... it would still work the same way, a sort of theatre in the round of the mind.
You're right Wendy. There is one actress who is on the innocent side ( do they tease her about: "Lets go up to Westchester"? Can't remember. ) But you've hit it on the head about how fully-fleshed out these characters are. It's a great movie. Women, and their lives.

In the process of watching "FEMALE ON THE BEACH" and women don't bode well in 1950's movies...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Stage Door and I still haven't watched The Women although I have a copy. What were they thinking remaking it?

I'm reading Of Human Bondage, I love the Leslie Howard/Bette Davis movie but so far this book bears no resemblance although I'm a quarter of the way through, it's about young man's life journey, he has a club foot and the way he is treated because of this and the way he deals with it is who he becomes, at the moment he's 20, I'm wondering how old he was when he met Mildred, as Leslie Howard was comfortably in his 30s.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I really loved the book when I was young. I have no idea how I would like it today. I had a real love affair going with Maugham's books at one time.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Charlie Chaplin Fan:

This is an order!!! If you have nothing else to do tonight, (which will be my tomorrow), sit yourself down and watch that copy of The Women that you have. You have no idea how much pleasure you are denying yourself. Except for cell phones of today, that movie could have been released yesterday. As for the last remake by Meg Ryan ppphhhfffftttt, it is written on the wind - another gem best forgotten. And I'll make a deal with you, while you're watching that, I'll watch Stage Door for the umpteenth time. I love the whole movie and the whole cast with Ginger, Kate, Lucy, etc., etc. I even like that nasty Adolph Menjou.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm afraid I must support MRS L's suggestion. It doesn't have to be today. The weekend will do. But THE WOMEN is just about as biting and acerbic as Hollywood gets! The cast has rarely been equaled.
charliechaplinfan

I'll make you a promise, I'll watch it next week when the kids are at school, weekend is a bad time for movie watching but I'll set time aside and watch. I know it has everything to recommend itself to me, I think I was saving it for the right day but it never turned up, so I'll make it next week :)

I'm just past half way in Of Human Bondage, Mildred has turned up and the pace has quickened, I don't like to put it down. Somerset Maugham, Chris remembers me watching The Razor's Edge and Herbert Marshall kept appearing and announcing he was Somerset Maugham, I can't remember it that way but Chris swears it was the case.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Alison, when you do get a chance to watch "STAGEDOOR" I look forward to reading your review of it. There's a lot going on in that speed-talking movie and in that ensemble cast, I think you'll find everyone shines, from the leads to the supporting players.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I just finished Christie's THE MIRROR CRACKED, my favorite Miss Marple story so far. Exceptionally well written on all levels. If you've seen the fine movie from the 1980's, you know whodunit. If you haven't seen it, this book will set your head spinning. In fact, having seen the film didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book. I sought it because I was impressed with the plotting. This dazzling story goes down like a delicious meal. I want more. Now!

On a similar note, I caught the second half of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE last night on PBS. That has to be my favorite sophisticated mystery film. American crime fiction is elegant in its own right. But let's put that in a different category. For well mannered lords and ladies, this "Old Dark House" story beats them all. It's not the plot that so fascinates. It's the atmosphere. Black and white, crashing waves, lights going out at just the worst times!

The perfect cast almost pulls off the perfect murder. Walter Huston, Barry Fitzgerald, Judith Anderson. Yet it's the young romantics who carry the story. Roguish Louis Hayward and innocent June Duprez manage to stay afloat in what might have been thankless roles. Not in these talented hands.

I had a nice day, thanks in large part to Dame Agatha Christie.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Perfect timing, Red, since Ten Little Indians and Murder by Death are on TCM tonight....
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

TEN LITTLE INDIANS is good too. I like the older film better, but both are entertaining. It's hard to screw up a great story!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've never seen the newer one. Fabian? I just don't see him in Agatha Christie, but I'll keep an open mind.
charliechaplinfan

I've never read Agatha Christie, there's plenty avaialble for Kindle. I'm going to have to get there one day. I'm loving Of Human Bondage although I think he took a long time to get the narrative moving, it does drift but his prose is enough to just go with it, it's a long book but I'm addicted, I could hardly watch Downton for it last night :roll:

I watched The Men today, I'll watch The Women tomorrow and follow it with Stage Door :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I never thought of pairing The Men with The Women. :D

I haven't seen it in a number of years but I remember The Men as being a very moving and worthwhile movie.

Some authors are just a pleasure to read, no matter if they take their time or what their subject matter is. I find Fitzgerald, Maugham and Dorothy L. Sayers to be the types who write so beautifully that just the way the words are put together is a pleasure.

Have you ever read Milan Kundera? I just love the way he writes, even through the translation.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've never seen the newer one. Fabian?

His hair could have been the murder weapon!