Eve Golden on Jean Harlow, Theda Bara, The Castles & More

Past chats with our guests.
egolden

Post by egolden »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:Ms Golden,

Thank you for joining us at the Oasis.

Do you see any glimmer of hope that one day someone will find footage of Theda Bara's Cleopatra?

Are there existing recordings of Ms. Bara's radio appearances from the late 1930's? Have you heard them?
That is so frustrating. When I started that book, I wrote to all the film repositories in the world and asked them if they had any reels that might be Bara: most of them said, "possibly--but we have no money or staff to go through all our orphaned reels, let alone restore them. You want to come here?"

Somewhere, at least a reel or two of Theda's films exist. I hope it's one of the good ones, like Under Two Flags, The She-Devil, or Salome--so many people have been hunting for Cleopatra that I think the few seconds we have are all that's left.

I have heard a radio show Theda did in the '30s, and she had a lovely voice, with a tint of her husband's British accent.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Guest Author

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Dear Eve,

I have to admit that it may be 2008, but I'm a sassy "say" girl.

I've written reviews and features off and on through the years, and I'm always interested in the opinions of biographers on subjects they interview.

... Say, who was your most difficult interview? Your most rewarding?
Your most enjoyable?

Thanks for visiting us here at the SSO!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Truman Capote said that, what a wit :lol: At least I can laugh I have read both.

I've seen The Wildcat with Pola directed by Lubitsch. I thought it was very good. There's so much humour there and it's a style all of it's own, it's available on Kino DVD.

Eve if you have to constantly correct people, what hope is there for the rest of us :roll:

It's funny you should mention Ginger Rogers book, I keep looking at it on Amazon.

I've not read your book on Jean Harlow but I'm a big fan of hers. Do you have a favorite Harlow film from all the ones you viewed? Do you have a favorite costar? It seems to me she just went so well with Gable, Tracy, Powell, Beery and that's just the men. Do you think she could have found happiness with William Powell?

You'll be relieved Eve to know that I'm going to bed soon. I'll let someone else have a turn :)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Dear Eve,

You mentioned in the announcements thread that you would like to do a book on Mae Murray. One of our best posters has written quite a bit about her, and as a a result, made her much more well known to all of us. Any chance a book may happen about Mae?

Thanks so much for being here

Nancy
egolden

Re: Guest Author

Post by egolden »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:... Say, who was your most difficult interview? Your most rewarding?
Your most enjoyable?
Say, whaddaya tryin' ta do, get me in dutch?

Hmm. Anita Page was a delight, and we became good friends. John Waters, Sylvia Sidney, Sharon Stone, Adam Sandler--all "gave good quote," were friendly and professional and made the interview easy and interesting.

Sean Young was, shall we say, "trying." I got into an argument with John Landis, and Lina Basquette was, ummm, "opinionated."

Funny Sylvia Sidney story: everyone warned me what a b**** she would be, but she was a delight, even told me the infamous condom story. Then I ran into her at Lillian Gish's memorial a year or two later. "Miss Sidney, you probably don't remember me--I interviewed you for Movieline." "Oh, was I a b****?" "No, you were very nice." "That's funny, I'm usually a b****!"
egolden

Post by egolden »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've not read your book on Jean Harlow but I'm a big fan of hers. Do you have a favorite Harlow film from all the ones you viewed? Do you have a favorite costar? It seems to me she just went so well with Gable, Tracy, Powell, Beery and that's just the men. Do you think she could have found happiness with William Powell?
Well, I love Bombshell, Dinner at Eight, Red-Headed Woman, Red Dust--the only post-Code film I really love of Harlow's is Wife vs. Secretary, as I think it's her only really good dramatic performance.

She was great with snappy, wisecracking guys: Lee Tracy, Gable, Robert Williams (poor Robert Williams!). Also, she was terrific alongside such "say" girls as Una Merkel, Patsy Kelly, Marie Prevost.

I really don't think William Powell was ever going to marry her. After the book came out (of course!) Anita Page told me she ran into Jean at a ladies' room in San Simeon, crying her eyes out. "Did you ever waste three years of your life on a man?" she asked Anita, who answered, "say, I wouldn't waste three weeks!"
egolden

Post by egolden »

knitwit45 wrote:Dear Eve,

You mentioned in the announcements thread that you would like to do a book on Mae Murray. One of our best posters has written quite a bit about her, and as a a result, made her much more well known to all of us. Any chance a book may happen about Mae?

Thanks so much for being here

Nancy
Hmmm. I tried and tried, but was unable to get much information on Mae pre-1915. She really covered her tracks! Census records were unable to pin her down, as I couldn't find her parents' names. And there is very little on her career pre-movies. Whoever is researching her, I wish them better luck than I had!

I had similar troubles with Nora Bayes. Love to do a book on her, but the primary-source material is scanty.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Eve made mention of film vaults saying, "No staff, no time, no money! Wanna come here and work?"

Now THIS is what a national service draft could do! Oh lordy, please please - draft ME into being a film archivist! Could you imagine? In the '30s, the WPA, etc. helped launch the American Infrastructure that we enjoy today. I'd love to see a mass "archeological" initiative that would locate and restore Film History wherever possible.

Oh please pick MY birthday first!!

Actually, this sounds like something film-schools and universities with film-degrees and engineering degrees should collectively tackle, assigning reels as 'class projects' or homework.

(I can't believe Eve Golden's been duped into being here for TWO weekends! Wow. Did someone slip her a mickey or did we really get THIS lucky so early in the year?!!)
egolden

Post by egolden »

Ollie wrote:(I can't believe Eve Golden's been duped into being here for TWO weekends! Wow. Did someone slip her a mickey or did we really get THIS lucky so early in the year?!!)
You seem to mistake me for someone with a life. Oh, back in my sleek Ina Claire days, I lived in nightclubs and at cocktail parties, but now that I am a Stately Dowager, a hot night is a cup of tea and an Olive Higgins Prouty novel.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Well, it is OUR benefit - and specifically MINE - that is living out here, and I sincerely thank you for your time.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Miss Golden,

I'd also like to say thanks for being here. Regarding Anita Page, I believe Ms. Page is still alive, is it possible that a book on her might be in your future.

She is wonderful in "Broadway Melody of 1929" and seems to have worked off and on up until a few years ago.

Also regarding Pola Negri, we had a poster here, Larry, from Canada who knew Ms. Negri and is featured in the older of the docs that Moira wrote about.

Lastly, I share your frustration at the lack of money for film archives and collections. It is a shame that not only so much of our own but internationally as well is being lost to history due to lack of funds.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

egolden

Post by egolden »

Lzcutter wrote:Miss Golden,

I'd also like to say thanks for being here. Regarding Anita Page, I believe Ms. Page is still alive, is it possible that a book on her might be in your future.
Anita is still alive, but in very frail health (she'll be 98 this August). Thank goodness, she is comfortable and being well looked-after, but she is no longer well enough to talk on the phone or correspond. She was working on her memoirs, but she is a nice Catholic-school girl from Queens, and refused to say anything bad about anyone--so no one will publish her, of course.
egolden

Post by egolden »

P.S. You must try to catch Anita in Night Court (1932, with Phillips Holmes and Walter Huston). She plays a bride jailed on trumped-up prostitution charges, and she gives a terrific dramatic performance!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Dear Miss Golden,

:D Thank you so much for gracing this board with your presence here! As you have written a book on Pola Negri I am quite sure that unlike the vast majority of us, you have seen Ernst Lubitsch FORBIDDEN PARADISE (1924). What can you tell us about the film, and also I would like to know if possible just how much of the film still exists? Is it pretty complete, or is a fair amount of the picture missing? I have been very frustrated by the lack of information available, not to mention the film itself!

:D I was very impressed with the restoration of THE WILDCAT (1921), on the Kino DVD, and I was wondering if any print's of Lubitsch MADAME DAUBERY (1919), still exist in this good of a condition, or if this film has been restored at all?

:roll: One of my favorite Silent's is Rowland V. Lee's BARBED WIRE (1927), which was the First Pola Negri film that I saw! I was so taken with her heartfelt performance! To me this is one of the great largely unknown films of the late 1920's. How Pola is willing to sacrifice on Principle for love of Oscar is so intensely moving. Despite the public outcry! And when He long lost Brother returns, it really put's thing in perspective, even for the naysayer's that cursed her Union with the German Oscar (Played by Clive Brook).

:o There is a deeper meaning to the film that makes us question the senselessness of War, and the Message is quite profound! And it also emphasizes how underneath, we are all Brothers and Sister's and that in the end petty hatreds' and jalousies, religious and ethnic prejudices are futile and misguided! Oh, if society would only embrace that message, and reflect upon it!

:? Ultimately, in the years since the First World War ended Man seems humanity seems to have learned very little, about what's really important! Unity, and understanding! Well, and truly frustrating that Paramount continues to suppress such great films as this one from the a World that could surly need such inspiration!

:shock: HOTEL IMPERIAL is another Classic that merit's a proper restoration and an official DVD release. If no other reason than it is one of Muritz Stiller's few surviving American films! Pola and James Hall are also quite wonderful in this movie! I have a copy of WOMAN OF THE WORLD (1925), but I mist confess that I have not watched it yet.

:wink: I was also wondering among Pola's films that you have seen, do you have a personal favorite, that you could share with us? In addition, might you have any information concerning any recent Silent film discovers, and or restorations project's such as Colleen Moore's LILAC TIME (1928), with Gary Copper, SYNTHETIC SIN (1928), or WHY BE GOOD? (1929), for example?

8) Finally, I am curious if you have ever seen the outstanding Richard Barthelmess feature THE PATENT LEATHER KID (First National; 1927), another very powerful Anti-War drama. Barthelmess received a Academy Nomination as best actor for this picture in the First year of the Awards! Oh, how I wish Warner's would do something with this remarkable film!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Golden:

As I stated before, I am not much of a non-fiction reader, nor am I well versed in silent movies. I know many names, and some of the bigger stars, but not well, but even with all of that, I have to write and say that you have been one of the most entertaining, funny, and informative guests we have had. All of our guests have been interesting, but you have put an extra giggle into your responses which has made it a pleasure to read whether knowing the subject or not. BTW, our 'hot nights' are very similar except I lean towards instant coffee and a murder mystery.

I know there is an old quote but I can't recall it, nor am I even going to try to paraphrase it, but I will say what it says:

* * * You arrived as a stranger, but left as a friend. * * *

Thank you so much for joining us.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************