I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Allhallowsday

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Allhallowsday »

Lorna wrote: April 9th, 2024, 8:42 am so, I seem to be ping-ponging between DARKNESS AND LIGHT when it comes to my viewing habits...

WARNING: This is ANOTHER review that is about a film whose subject matter is not for everyone, although it is AMERICAN, not ITALIAN and there are NO NAZIS.

I saw HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1986) on TUBI- ...
In watching it, I made up my mind 2/3 in that I wasn't going to post a review, because it is a VILE MOVIE...
Overall, it's loathsome, but as you couldn't help but notice, it is well made. Something like I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE is vile to me. Comparably appealing, I have seen HENRY more than once. Truly vile, I won't look at the other again.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

With a hot dog yet!!!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 8th, 2024, 1:22 pm
dianedebuda wrote: April 8th, 2024, 10:09 am I've never seen an episode of MSW and I do like Angela. 😆
I also have never seen a complete episode of MURDER, SHE WROTE.

I hope LHF and Hibi don't stone me . . .
We'll take in under consideration...
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speaking of Murder, She Wrote, I saw the Snow White, Blood Red episode yesterday. One of my favorites with a great twist at the end! Jessica snowed in at a ski lodge with a killer on the loose!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0653616/

And it turned out to be an unedited version. Apparently when I saw it on other stations they cut most of the blood out on the second killing. I'd forgotten how grisly it originally was.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Well Hibi, maybe other edits were made.
With all the ads on Hallmark Mystery or Great American Family, a 47 minute show probably gets some reductions.
As for Holden and Diane, there are numerous big name shows I either haven't seen or don't like.
I barely know Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory.
Okay, The Simpsons too.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

jimimac71 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:18 pmAs for Holden and Diane, there are numerous big name shows I either haven't seen or don't like. I barely know Seinfeld or Big Bang Theory. Okay, The Simpsons too.
Another trifecta for me! Haven't seen any of those 3 either. :smiley_shades: Probably 'cause I mostly don't like sitcoms or animated stuff. 😁
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Me with the Dateline: Secrets Uncovered episodes!
Husband decides to treat wifey to a reconciliation picnic (they've been talking divorce throughout their long marriage but now she's serious about it) atop a cliff. They celebrate with wine, cheese and crackers. She stands up then falls over the edge to her death. Police later look into the picnic basket and find a hammer among the crumbs.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on April 10th, 2024, 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

When it comes to talking TV shows, I can divide my personal experience into three camps. If it is not listed in the three groups, then I don't feel sure enough to discuss it.

The first group here are shows that I have seen most to all of the episodes:
Peyton Place
The Waltons
Knots Landing
Dynasty
Cagney and Lacey
Remington Steele
St. Elsewhere
Scarecrow and Mrs. King
Murder, She Wrote
Moonlighting
The Golden Girls
L.A. Law
thirtysomething
China Beach
Twin Peaks
Cop Rock
Homefront
Brooklyn Bridge
My So-Called life
Providence
Desperate Housewives
Pushing Daisies
Downton Abbey
The Gilded Age

The second group are shows that I have watched the equivalent of at least a season of (and sometimes more, as in the ones with italics):
That Girl
The Mary Tyler Moore Show (I haven't seen too much of the seasons after Rhoda left)
The Bob Newhart Show
The Rockford Files
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
Family
Laverne and Shirley
The Muppet Show
Three's Company
Lou Grant
Taxi
Dallas
Falcon Crest
Newhart
Designing Women
Matlock

The Wonder Years
Roseanne
Murphy Brown
Father Dowling Mysteries
Poirot

The Simpsons
Road to Avonlea
Northern Exposure
Sisters
Picket Fences
Frasier
NYPD Blue
The Nanny

ER
Murder One
The Practice
Ally McBeal

Gilmore Girls
Boston Legal
Ugly Betty
Castle
Body of Proof
Call the Midwife
Feud

The third group is the ones that I watched enough to know the lay of the land:
I Love Lucy
The Donna Reed Show
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Bewitched
Green Acres
Mission: Impossible
The Carol Burnett Show
Julia
The Streets of San Francisco
Little House on the Prairie
Ellery Queen Mysteries
Charlie's Angels
The Love Boat
Hart to Hart
Hill Street Blues
Cheers
Family Ties
Dynasty II: The Colbys
Spencer: For Hire
Evening Shade
Berverly Hills 90210
Touched by an Angel
Alias
The Middle
Big Sky
Abbott Elementary
Last edited by CinemaInternational on April 11th, 2024, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CinemaInternational

jimimac71 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:18 pm Well Hibi, maybe other edits were made.
With all the ads on Hallmark Mystery or Great American Family, a 47 minute show probably gets some reductions.
As for Holden and Diane, there are numerous big name shows I either haven't seen or don't like.
Okay, The Simpsons too.
I've never even seen an episode of The big Bang Theory. I did see a handful of Seinfelds, but not many although I liked two of them: one with Bette Midler and one involving a character's visceral hatred for The English Patient (which I thought was a wonderful film, but I liked the episode because I know what it is like to hate a film that others are praising to the nines).
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:06 am Speaking of Murder, She Wrote, I saw the Snow White, Blood Red episode yesterday. One of my favorites with a great twist at the end! Jessica snowed in at a ski lodge with a killer on the loose!

And it turned out to be an unedited version. Apparently when I saw it on other stations they cut most of the blood out on the second killing. I'd forgotten how grisly it originally was.
It's definitely the bluntest episode of the whole run of the show when it comes to violence. I am shocked in a way that the network actually allowed them to air it. (The other network showing Murder She Wrote last night was showing a later episode, The Dying Game, that had a nasty death scene though as well: death by crossbow with them actually showing the big arrow making the moment of impact in the victim's chest. :smiley_acold: )
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:29 pm
Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 9:06 am Speaking of Murder, She Wrote, I saw the Snow White, Blood Red episode yesterday. One of my favorites with a great twist at the end! Jessica snowed in at a ski lodge with a killer on the loose!

It's definitely the bluntest episode of the whole run of the show when it comes to violence. I am shocked in a way that the network actually allowed them to air it. (The other network showing Murder She Wrote last night was showing a later episode, The Dying Game, that had a nasty death scene though as well: death by crossbow with them actually showing the big arrow making the moment of impact in the victim's chest. :smiley_acold: )
Yeah, I hadn't realized I'd been seeing the edited version all these years until I watched it yesterday. They cut about 5 or so seconds of the blood dripping down. A lot more gore than the usual MSW murder where you didn't even see any blood most of the time.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Was that the one set in the department store??
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:33 pm

That's the one. With Kate Mulgrew playing an ambitious executive, but for once on the show, not guilty of murder.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:18 pm Well Hibi, maybe other edits were made.
Okay, The Simpsons too.
That's true. But I thought it was telling they edited out the most gruesome scene. (They left the scene in but cut the last part of it. Why edit out 5 seconds???)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:35 pm
Hibi wrote: April 10th, 2024, 4:33 pm

That's the one. With Kate Mulgrew playing an ambitious executive, but for once on the show, not guilty of murder.
Yeah, I think that was the only episode she was in that she wasn't the killer! :D