OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
txfilmfan

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by txfilmfan »

scsu1975 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 4:42 pm
jimimac71 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:59 pm
Not sure I’d want to see Lost In Space now.
Watched it some time ago on The Roku Channel and lost interest when season two was in color.
It was like the story line became less important than the color production.
My wife and I were watching episodes on Amazon Prime, but apparently Hulu is now showing it instead. Maybe just as well. Frankly, the story lines were never good. It seems as if every episode featured Dr. Smith doing something incredibly stupid/evil/unhinged which ultimately put everyone's life in danger, and yet, at the end, he was forgiven, and allowed to do the same crap in the next episode. Even as a kid I realized these people were crazy for putting up with this. Any normal group of explorers would have cut him loose, at the very least.
The first few episodes had a serious tone. It quickly changed to be the Will, Dr. Smith & Robot show after a few episodes. Jonathan Harris was billed as a special guest star throughout the run, even though he was in almost every episode.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

The ladies in Lost In Space were dreamy.
Thinking about it, Batman was stupid too.
The Batmobile had all of my attention.
Even as a 10 year old, I found Penny (Penelope) was lovely and she still is.
Batman was all about the guest stars.
Not so much with Lost In Space.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 3:59 pm ...Not sure I’d want to see Lost In Space now...
Watched it some time ago on The Roku Channel and lost interest when season two was in color.
It was like the story line became less important than the color production...
The first season is the only "good" season, and it sure is A. Dated. B. Corny. C. What a hunk of junk the Jupiter 2 is. Though I like a few season 2 episodes, the whole show is a garage sale.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

txfilmfan wrote: October 17th, 2023, 5:07 pm ...The first few episodes had a serious tone. It quickly changed to be the Will, Dr. Smith & Robot show after a few episodes. Jonathan Harris was billed as a special guest star throughout the run, even though he was in almost every episode.
JONATHAN HARRIS came up with that credit himself when he was the last actor to sign up for the show.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jimimac71 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 6:31 pm The ladies in Lost In Space were dreamy.
Thinking about it, Batman was stupid too.
The Batmobile had all of my attention.
Even as a 10 year old, I found Penny (Penelope) was lovely and she still is.
Batman was all about the guest stars.
Not so much with Lost In Space.
However, there were wonderful guest stars on Lost In Space that meant nothing to me decades ago (like MICHAEL RENNIE or ALBERT SALMI or MICHAEL POLLARD or AL LEWIS...)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Michael Rennie was in both Batman and Lost In Space.
While 2 part episodes were normal for Batman, Michael Rennie was in the only 2 part episode of Lost In Space. Season One in glorious black and white.
Gretl from The Sound of Music was in an episode of Lost In Space, Season One.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Masha

Post by Masha »

Richard Moll, Actor Who Played Night Court’s Bull, Dead at 80

https://consequence.net/2023/10/richard ... ourt-dead/
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Donald Shebib, director of landmark Canadian film Goin' Down the Road, dead at 85

Shebib, a film school contemporary of Coppola, returned to make his mark on Canadian film, TV
Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Marysara1 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:59 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1kcaC4 Rosalynn Carter
Jimmy will likely join her soon.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 4:39 pm
Marysara1 wrote: November 19th, 2023, 3:59 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1kcaC4 Rosalynn Carter
Jimmy will likely join her soon.
Well, at 99 and by far the longevity record for ex-Presidents, I'd say that that's probably a pretty good bet here, jimimac! ;)

(...and NOW if only a certain OTHER ex-President's longevity falls short of reaching 99 years and say by 22 years, I'LL die a happy camper!!!) LOL
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm sorry to report that Joss Ackland (1928-2023) has died. I first saw him on stage, as Mitch in a London production of A Streetcar Named Desire, with Claire Bloom as Blanche. A few years later, I saw him as Peron in the original London production of Evita. He was a great actor.

His films include White Mischief, A Zed and Two Naughts, and The Hunt for Red October.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/n ... d-obituary
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

nakanosunplaza wrote: October 14th, 2023, 10:24 pm The excellent Piper Laurie died today the 14th at 91. www.cnn.com/2023/10/14/us/piper-laurie- ... index.html
It's amazing in a way, but I only found out that Piper passed yesterday, about a month after she did. Always a very good actress. Kind of remarkable how quickly she could create a nuanced character. She only had about 7 minutes of screentime in Children of a Lesser God but she did a remarkable job.