WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Robert Regan

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Robert Regan »

You got it, Theresa!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Teresa, I'm so glad you enjoyed The Crowd, don't worry about not liking every silent, I feel a bit like that about Westerns but I can appreciate a good one, like you have here, The Crowd is a masterpiece in silent cinema.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Finally got to see this one last night on TCM. There are so many movies that I always intend to watch but, for some reason, never do: since we're talking Silents, THE GENERAL with Keaton is one that I just never seem to catch.

Very impressed with THE CROWD. Actually, a quite brilliant movie. Nothing much I can add to what has already been discussed, other than I really thought James Murray was a fine actor. He gave a wonderful, affecting performance and it stuns me now to realize his career did not go further. Provided he had a good speaking voice, I could see him easily making the transition to talkies. His is truly a tragic Hollywood story.
charliechaplinfan

It is, he was a troubled man. I want to watch The Crowd again, one thing about a silent film is that you have to give them your complete attention, good silents really move me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . And you can keep the volume low to not disturb anyone else in the house and not miss the dialogue. :D
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

...And some of those cheapo DVDs have such terrible and inappropriate scores that I sometimes turn the sound completely off and hear the music in my head.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

...And I love the music in our head.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

A bad score can ruin a movie and a good score can elevate a movie.

Theresa, have you seen The Artist yet? As well as being a good film it's got a great score.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"THE ARTIST"?????!!!!

Niagara Falls...
Slowly I turn.

Step by step.
Inch by inch.....

No...I haven't seen "The Artist." Friends have been telling me...begging me to see it. But it just bugged the heck out of me that they made a silent movie these days as though they discovered something new. I have the DVD, right next to my tv set...but I haven't watched it. Yet.

Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Theresa, everyone did not love The Artist!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I used that Abbott & Costello routine for effect here, but I will see "The Artist." I'llkeep an open mind and check it out. I hear the little doggie in it is very moving. I think I want to see a real silent movie before I go for that one.

charliechaplinfan

You know I love The Artist and cute as the little doggie is it doesn't have that big a role, I'd expected a film about a man's relationship with his dog, well, it is part of it but there's much more. Watch it when you're in the mood to watch it, you'll find plenty of us chipping in with our thoughts on the movie. Please when you've watched it give us one of your lovely posts with plenty of pictures of the leading man :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, what a beautiful review of THE CROWD. You brought the movie back to me so completely, I remembered parts I haven't thought of in years. I feel silly now, I replied to you the other day about this movie, and literally said some of the same things that you did here, but I swear I only just read this review! It's a lovely, sad and funny little film. It was my absolute favorite silent for years. I think the everydayness of it hits home even more than the tragic events, and that last shot.... well... gulp. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think you have such a great eye for talent, T. What you say about Eleanor Boardman and Esther Ralston, well it's true. They are both very economical actresses, there is nothing overdone with either of them. I think that's what you see that is modern, both delicate looking, but with hidden strength and reserves.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]CHARLIECHAPLINFAN[/u] wrote:You know I love The Artist and cute as the little doggie is it doesn't have that big a role, I'd expected a film about a man's relationship with his dog, well, it is part of it but there's much more. Watch it when you're in the mood to watch it, you'll find plenty of us chipping in with our thoughts on the movie. Please when you've watched it give us one of your lovely posts with plenty of pictures of the leading man :wink:
Wow. Thanx. I can promise you this Alison, when I do watch the film...I'll give it my fullest attention with an open-mind. I'm sure I'll like it. Hell, I resisted "FARGO" and "THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION" for the longest out of stubbornness for its popularity ( hype hype hype ) and when I finally saw them, I literally stood in my living room applauding.

Yeah, I'm crazy like that. :roll:

[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:Gosh, what a beautiful review of THE CROWD. You brought the movie back to me so completely, I remembered parts I haven't thought of in years. I feel silly now, I replied to you the other day about this movie, and literally said some of the same things that you did here, but I swear I only just read this review! It's a lovely, sad and funny little film...
Thanx Wen. I was unexpectedly touched by the film, when my intention going in was just to add another classic notch to my belt. I remember what you wrote to me, if I may please share with everyone what you said:
That's actually a very good description of the movie T, simple but epic. It translates to all lives. I know the first time I watched, I couldn't believe Vidor went there. You want so badly for it to turn out hokey or sentimental, but for everything to be OK. The fact that he didn't, well it's a real examination of one moment that just goes wrong in someone's life, that changing moment when someone gets pulled under. And the sad part is, James Murray, the actor, well, he went under. He never again had a role like this one and the rest of his life was just sad.

Sometimes I wish Vidor had stayed as powerful in his sound films as he was in silents. That is one of the greatest overlooked movies ever. For me, it's the first silent I would mention to someone who had never seen a silent film before, because it's so accessible to this day.
Don't forget...you and I are Gabors ( Eva and ZsaZsa...not Magda and Jolie ) so that might explain why we filter movies in a similar fashion...even though you have a deeper tolerance for more different kinds of films than I have.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yeah, I'm not sure how tolerant I am of other genres... sometimes I just need a change and I get inspired by those who write about the movies. I think lately I've been a lot less adventurous than you are. You've been really getting into some areas that are out of your comfort zone! I'm so proud of you! If I can find my copy amongst the rubble that is my movie stash, I'll rewatch THE CROWD. I think I need a refresher. How amazing that this movie, one I thought NO ONE knew of when I was young, has inspired so much great love and writing! I am so happy. It's a masterpiece, and deserves to be better known among regular people. Prime time, TCM, PRIME TIME. :D :D