WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

JackFavell

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, I think you'll like it, Erik.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks to Theresa I watched "Another Language" (1933), a wonderful, gripping, powerful, adult drama that'd make a superb double bill with John Cromwell's "The Silver Cord" (1933), and I which I had wanted to see for a looooong time.

Helen Hayes is superb as the sensitive, intelligent, refined artist wife of Bob Montgomery's character, whose vulgar, annoying family's ways and interference have destroyed their relationship, especially his manipulative mother (Louise Closser-Hale). John Beal is impressive as well as Montgomery's sensitive nephew, who falls deeply in love with his new aunt. Margaret Hamilton is seen to great advantage as Montgomery's sister (perhaps the most likable character of Montgomery's family besides Beal and tame, good 'ole Henry Travers as Montgomery's dad). Superb dialogues. 9/10. These Precoders are great!

Thanks again Tess for sharing this gem with me.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh man, I love Another Language. I'm so glad you got to see it! Hayes is so good here, in a very modern performance. I too like the touching relationship between her and the younger brother and it's nice to see Margaret Hamilton in a role that lets her do a little more.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wen: we really have similar tastes pal! What about a movie night in Santiago? I can try to surprise you with a "unique" line-up :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I would love that! Movie night it is... except first I have to get enough money to get to Santiago... :D
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well....who knows what the future brings? I love your current avatar BTW. Never had seen Tippi so friendly with a "bird" :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know! They are positive chums. I like the humor of it. We don't get to see Tippi funny or nonchalant very often.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, Theresa Harris sighting!

Professional Sweetheart is a terrific and goofy little precode starring Ginger Rogers as a radio personality (kiddie program) who is tired of not being able to do anything bad in her private life. It has one of the best supporting casts I've ever seen - Gregory Ratoff, Norman Foster, Theresa Harris, Sterling Holloway, Franklin Pangborn, Frank McHugh, Allen Jenkins, Lucien Littlefield, Edgar Kennedy, Zasu Pitts, and Betty Furness!

Naughty Ginger becomes radio sensation "the Purity girl", selling Ipsie-Wipsie washcloths by singing sweet songs and telling stories to kiddies on air. Her nicey nicey image is a drag, though - she can't even eat what she wants for dinner, because producer Ratoff and press agent McHugh won't let her tarnish her image in any way, not even with lobster or caviar. Wholesome food, wholesome clothes, she gets sick of it. She starts acting out, telling them she won't sign her contract until she's allowed to "sin and suffer". Theresa Harris is her maid, and tells her about Harlem nightlife, so Ginger decides she wants to go there, she needs to have some fun.

Ratoff and McHugh will do anything to save their show and ratings, so they decide she needs a fella to make her settle down. They pick the most innocent of her fans, Norman Foster from Kentucky, to come to NY and have a big publicized romance. Gin and Norm fall for each other and he kidnaps her and heads for the hills, stranding the radio show. Theresa Harris steps in and sings a low down song on the air during Ginger's spot, making Ginger jealous enough to come back to NY to go on the air. Foster says OK because now he realizes she really loves him and it doesn't matter where they live.

She signs with rival show's sponsor, Kelsey's dishrags - causing angst for Ratoff. McHugh helps save the day by signing Foster to read poems on air at the same time. Finally the two radio producers merge their broadcasts to encompass both squeaky clean stars and make an oodle of money.

A cute little precode about the fickle public and unscrupulous radio producers. I completely enjoyed this one, just because it was back to back to back supporting actors.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

I thought you would like Professional Sweetheart, Wendy. It's been a favorite of mine for ages. And it's one of Theresa's better parts!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just loved the sly satire, which easily translates to today. I don't know why unscrupulous Hollywood or New York types make for such good movies, but they do. :D

Theresa's a pip in this one, once again showing how natural, beautiful and confident she was as an actress. I only wish she had been able to parlay that into a huge career. God bless her for getting out there and playing real live people and not stereotypes. She did more to end racism in the movies than any other actress and some entire studios.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Anybody recorded "Back Pay" (1930) with Corinne Griffith yesterday?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I totally missed it somehow - I was looking forward to seeing it too, Fernando.
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

Jack Favell

Your write up of Professional Sweetheart has whetted my appetite, it sounds like my kind of show. I am a big fan of Ginger Rogers. I have 53 of her movies, but not this one. You prompted me to go looking for it. I could find only one copy. Unfortunately at about AUD $50.00 I am destined not to see it.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ohhh, that's too bad, Fossy! I didn't record it, and now I'm sorry for it. I just didn't know it would be so much fun! If it comes on again soon, I will record it and make copies.
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Frank Borzage's 1922 film of Fannie Hurst's Back Pay with Seena Owen and Matt Moore is very powerful, even though there's about ten minutes missing.