I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 21st, 2024, 5:57 pm The subject matter of THE GODFATHER holds no interest to me and the movie itself was not captivating enough for me to ignore that.
I really struggled to finish the movie when I had to watch it for a class in college.
I think I watched it in fifteen or twenty minutes intervals over a period of a few days.
I can't see myself ever watching it from beginning to end in one viewing.

I'm much the same when it comes to the subject of THE MAFIA, it's not something that "speaks" to me or piques my interest (not like NAZIS or VAMPIRES- I will watch ANYTHING about either) , and i ff'd through ALL of BRANDO'S scenes in the second half.

THAT SAID...

I checked out GODFATHER II for the first time ever soonafter, and while the subject matter still doesn't GRIP ME (ALTHOUGH: there is an interesting subplot about CUBA)- THE ACTING is across the board CAPTIVATING, especially from JOHN CAZALE and LEE STRASSBERG as a JEWISH GANGSTER- the latter of which you MIGHT find interesting because I know you have a background in theater (STRASBERG) and it is an interesting depiction of a JEWISH CHARACTER both in a sense of "for the times" and "for this type of movie (crime)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:15 pm

Mother Night (1996) -- Based on a Kurt Vonnegut novel, this film tells a very dark tale.

MOTHER NIGHT is my FAVORITE VONNEGUT NOVEL
(I've read just about everything he wrote- with wildly varying opinions across the board)- but I recall just being BLOWN AWAY by MOTHER NIGHT and every time I am asked by someone what my favorite VONNEGUT BOOK is (it does come up a fair amount), I say "MOTHER NIGHT" and they give me a funny look...maybe it;s because it's not as well known as a lot of others, maybe it's because it's the one book he wrote that is straightforward and not at all cryptic and linear and not absurd at all- it's very REAL, and devastatingly so. i have never seen the 1996 movie- man, 1996 was THE year of stars doing little INDIE films that were HERE TODAY, GONE TODAY wasn't it?- but i kinda don't want to, largely because the book made SUCH AN IMPACT ON ME.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 1:24 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 12:15 pm

Mother Night (1996) -- Based on a Kurt Vonnegut novel, this film tells a very dark tale.

MOTHER NIGHT is my FAVORITE VONNEGUT NOVEL
(I've read just about everything he wrote- with wildly varying opinions across the board)- but I recall just being BLOWN AWAY by MOTHER NIGHT and every time I am asked by someone what my favorite VONNEGUT BOOK is (it does come up a fair amount), I say "MOTHER NIGHT" and they give me a funny look...maybe it;s because it's not as well known as a lot of others, maybe it's because it's the one book he wrote that is straightforward and not at all cryptic and linear and not absurd at all- it's very REAL, and devastatingly so. i have never seen the 1996 movie- man, 1996 was THE year of stars doing little INDIE films that were HERE TODAY, GONE TODAY wasn't it?- but i kinda don't want to, largely because the book made SUCH AN IMPACT ON ME.
I understand why you would be reluctant to see the film if you had such a visceral reaction to the book, but I did hear that Vonnegut himself was extremely impressed by the film. Very few went to see it though. It grossed less than a million. Forgot to say that Alan Arkin was also in it, and Kristen Dunst had a one scene cameo.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 21st, 2024, 5:57 pmThe subject matter of THE GODFATHER holds no interest to me ... I suspect I will enjoy THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 for a lot of reasons.
I'm like you with no interest in the subject matter of The Godfather plus the only time I liked Brando was in On The Waterfront. I delayed seeing it for decades, but finally watched all three just because.

I liked Pelham, so agree that you are likely to like it.
kingrat wrote: May 21st, 2024, 9:32 pmSpeaking of the 1970s: consider the difference between Blow-Up (1966) and The Conversation (1974), which borrows liberally from the plot of Blow-Up, only with sound instead of photography.
Been awhile since I saw both, but found Blow-Up hard to follow whereas The Conversation was clear. So I'm not fond of the first but liked the 2nd well enough for repeat viewings a couple of times.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 1:17 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: May 21st, 2024, 5:57 pm The subject matter of THE GODFATHER holds no interest to me and the movie itself was not captivating enough for me to ignore that.
I really struggled to finish the movie when I had to watch it for a class in college.
I think I watched it in fifteen or twenty minutes intervals over a period of a few days.
I can't see myself ever watching it from beginning to end in one viewing.

I'm much the same when it comes to the subject of THE MAFIA, it's not something that "speaks" to me or piques my interest (not like NAZIS or VAMPIRES- I will watch ANYTHING about either) , and i ff'd through ALL of BRANDO'S scenes in the second half.

THAT SAID...ti

I checked out GODFATHER II for the first time ever soonafter, and while the subject matter still doesn't GRIP ME (ALTHOUGH: there is an interesting subplot about CUBA)- THE ACTING is across the board CAPTIVATING, especially from JOHN CAZALE and LEE STRASSBERG as a JEWISH GANGSTER- the latter of which you MIGHT find interesting because I know you have a background in theater (STRASBERG) and it is an interesting depiction of a JEWISH CHARACTER both in a sense of "for the times" and "for this type of movie (crime)

I've heard and read a lot of good things about THE GODFATHER PART II. Based of your comments I think will check it out without revisiting THE GODFATHER.
I'm a fan of Al Pacino and John Cavale, and the chance to observe Lee Strasberg "in action" definitely outweighs my dislike of the first GODFATHER movie. (I'll just read the plot summary of the first movie.)

The great American interpreters and teachers of Stanislavski's techniques (Lee Strasberg, Stella Adler, Sanford Meisner) rarely performed for the camera so seeing any of them "doing" interests me a lot.
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have watched now several episodes on: The Bugaloos (1970–1972).

I believe that this programme is proof that Britain was continuing to receive very high-grade weed from its colonies in the Caribbean.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 9:23 pm I've heard and read a lot of good things about THE GODFATHER PART II. Based of your comments I think will check it out without revisiting THE GODFATHER.
I'm a fan of Al Pacino and John Cavale, and the chance to observe Lee Strasberg "in action" definitely outweighs my dislike of the first GODFATHER movie. (I'll just read the plot summary of the first movie.)The great American interpreters and teachers of Stanislavski's techniques (Lee Strasberg, Stella Adler, Sanford Meisner) rarely performed for the camera so seeing any of them "doing" interests me a lot.

you will be totally fine seeing GODFATHER II without reviewing PART I
, and really- THE reason to see the film is that it is a BUFFET OF GREAT ACTING, and various acting styles.

even if the subject matter doesn't compel you, that won't matter: THE ACTING (and the photography which is STUNNING) will.

and while I think that JOHN CAZALE had the most challenging part AND gave the BEST performance in the film, LEE STRASBERG very quietly BLEW ME AWAY, and believe me, I went in with my eyebrow raised and all ready to JUDGE (OK, MR TEACHER, show me what you got) but no- (AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING PRETENTIOUS) LEE STRASBERG does not act in GODFATHER II, he IS.

he showed me, and mama, I was awed.

It is just one HELL of a quiet performance- really, it seems EFFORTLESS and in the best way. Also- while he is playing a JEWISH GANGSTER he is able to sidestep a lot of STEREOTYPES we can all imagine, he eschews flamboyance completely- in fact, when you first see where his character lives in the movie, it will disarm you. it really is masterful work, I think you can gather that from this picture, where he is serving "we are not amused" with the MOST WITHERING of CASUAL GLANCES

(maybe you have been on the receiving end of a look like this from a relative?)

besides that PACINO is incredible and TALIA SHIRE is great- devastating really in one last scene at the end- even though she has a smaller role than she does in the first film.

and MICHAEL V. GAZZO gives a WILD, LARGER THAN LIFE performance, he is the only actor I know who SOUNDS DUBBED but who isn't and it's great (hard to explain)

the only performance that i felt was a misfire was from DIANE KEATON, who has a BIG SCENE with PACINO that (for me) goes off the rails and I would have asked for another take..,thing is, from watching and rewatching it, I KINDA GET THE SENSE PACINO HITS KEATON FOR REAL FOR REAL IN THE SCENE. I know the two dated at the time and hated one another for years after. don't know what the whole story was.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

WOW. Bet JEANINE BASINGER could write a whole 400 page thesis on MARTHA RAYE'S CHARACTER in the above video.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: May 22nd, 2024, 9:55 pm I have watched now several episodes on: The Bugaloos (1970–1972).

I believe that this programme is proof that Britain was continuing to receive very high-grade weed from its colonies in the Caribbean.
Britain has had some weird kids shows, but this was an American production, from the Krofft brothers, who were responsible for a host of wacko Saturday morning shows. I was 6 when it premiered, and watched it every week, along with H.R. Pufnstuf.

The Bugaloos group members, however, were Brits. Supposedly Phil Collins auditioned for one of the spots!

This show was my introduction to Martha Raye.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Lorna wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 8:37 am
Holy ****!!!!
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 8:37 am

Writing credit for this episode of THE BUGALOOS is given to John Fenton Murray, who also wrote THE BRADY BUNCH episode "The Voice Of Christmas."

Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

We're watching SUGAR on Apple TV. We're only three episodes in so please, no spoilers. I really like it so far. It's kind of "noirish" and I love how they insert some old movie clips from true film noirs. There are some similarities to THE BIG SLEEP and although it's current day it also has a LA CONFIDENTIAL feel. I think most noir fans will enjoy it assuming it doesn't go "off the rails" in the remaining five episodes.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 12:41 pm
Holy ****!!!!
Mama, ain't NUTHIN HOLY ABOUT THAT.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hoganman1 wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:02 am We're watching SUGAR on Apple TV. We're only three episodes in so please, no spoilers. I really like it so far. It's kind of "noirish" and I love how they insert some old movie clips from true film noirs. There are some similarities to THE BIG SLEEP and although it's current day it also has a LA CONFIDENTIAL feel. I think most noir fans will enjoy it assuming it doesn't go "off the rails" in the remaining five episodes.
THANK YOU, there are very few media review sites left, and it's harder than ever to get an honest opinion, but I read a headline about SUGAR on PAJIBA.COM that mentioned they thought there was no way that the SERIES CREATORS would be able to end it well.