most handsome/beautiful face in movies

Chit-chat, current events
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

You're too modest John. Even on that crappy recording I can tell both of you have great voices (I can't sing at all). The Fantasticks was my Mom's favorite musical so I'm well familiar with that song.

I'm like you--I never recorded or archived anything I've ever done live. I went over to a guitar player's house once and he had video footage of every show he'd ever played! That seemed pretty pompous to me, but now that I'm older, I do wish I had some of that stuff on film or tape. There are also some hilarious moments that happen from time to time (I’m sure you’ve got plenty of stories too) that would have been nice to preserve on one format or another.
David

Best Looking Actor/Actress

Post by David »

Actor: Cary Grant

Actress: Rita Hayworth
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Actress - Maureen O' Hara

Actor - Cary Grant :wink:
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Hmm.

For actress I can't choose between my Big Three:
Louise Brooks, Clara Bow, Jean Harlow

For actor: Ramon Novarro, Jack Gilbert, Jimmy Stewart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I forgot Vivien Leigh :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Re: most handsome/beautiful face in movies

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My personal nomination would be

Rita Hayworth and Tyrone Powers in Blood and Sand

Not only that Rita is incredibly gorgeous - Tyrone is equally handsome as well.

In that very same movie its has Linda Darnell and Anthony Quinn too.

A combo of Hayworth/Powers is hard to beat.
charliechaplinfan

Rita was stunning, I've never found Tyrone Power attractive, I'm sure I'm alone in that thought.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Rita was stunning, I've never found Tyrone Power attractive, I'm sure I'm alone in that thought.

I actually thought he was more attractive when he got older and lost some of the refinement of his youth. I feel the same about Robert Taylor.

Another great thing about a new member is getting these older threads revived. Sometimes I find with time my opinions have changed! :D

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Me too.

I've just discovered that Alain Delon has a pretty perfect face. Although my personal favorites, Chaplin, Keaton, Boyer aren't known for being the most beautiful faces, they're all handsome and interesting. I still stand by Cary Grant being pretty perfect and one of my favorites.

I prefer Robert Taylor to Tyrone Power but both are better with a bit of maturity.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Just spotted this thread, CCF. Thanks for starting it. I'll have to keep thinking about my vote for the guys, but I've recently become awed by Frances Dee. I have a Wellman pre-code called Love is a Racket where she plays Douglas Fairbanks Jr's love interest. Photographed from any angle, in any lighting, she's breathtaking. Even in a film made ten years later, the Val Lewton thriller, I Walked with a Zombie (which she agreed to make so she could buy her mom a new car), she's still pretty stunning, with a score of, say, Fay-Wray-in-her-prime. Can she act? I really couldn't say because I'm always too gob-smacked to notice.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't think it's possible to choose a 'most' handsome or beautiful because tastes vary so much. Personally I love Robert Mitchum's sexy, rugged look, but I also admire Cary Grant's suave air. Then, again, I feel Gregory Peck is nearly a perfect specimen of a handsome man, yet others would disagree. I can't choose any silent movie actor because they all wore makeup, I still giggle when I see early movies with the Duke (of al people!!) and Bing Crosby and how silly they look -- to me -- with makeup on. Make up is the reason I cannot choose an actress because they all have makeup on to cover any disconcerting blemishes.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

It's one of those threads that I can come back to and find that my opinions can waver, not on the beautiful faces but on the actors and actresses who use their beauty to the best effect on screen. Some look better in stills, others better on screen.

I'm thinking Ava Gardner was one of those who came across better on screen, not that she photographed badly but on screen something else can out.
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

I agree with Anne. It is so subjective that it is impossible to choose. I can list about 15 movie women I could be in love with. The men I admire would list only about 8.

IMHO movie women are chosen for their face, camera image, and their voice. Since all movie women have nice figures I doubt their shape is the reason for playing a role. Busty women get special roles for an effect.

Men have the "square jaw" image and are usually chosen for that. Today's actors are chosen for wearing scruffy beards well. Women can compete if they have a cute mouth and are willing to show cleavage. Joan Crawford would never make it today.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
feaito

Post by feaito »

Beauty is important for women, but on the other hand ladies like Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn, Barbra Streisand, Glenn Close should have never made it either during the '60s, '70s, '80s, but their talent surpassed the lack of "conventional" beauty....
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

My favorites are a couple of unconventional beauties -- Agnes Moorehead and James Mason. :)