*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Interesting stuff, guys. I try to keep my daughters informed of the great movie stars of yesteryear and to my surprise they have impressed me.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BARBARA BATES
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JEFFREY HUNTER (1926 - 1969)

RICARDO MONTALBAN (1920 - 2009)

JESSIE ROYCE LANDIS (1896 - 1972)
Joseph Goodheart
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Mongo! I am thankful for this wonderful thread with all of its fantastic photos!

Sandy K
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

I also am very thankful for your continuous "Candids" thread - it's what I wake up to every day!!!
Hope you and your family have lots of turkey & dressing and some luscious pumpkin pie!!!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Love the glamourous picture of Jessie Royce Landis....

In 1957, I was leaving NYC to go to university in Heidelberg Germany.
A friend, Margaret West had an afternoon party for me at her apartment in the Sherry Netherlands Hotel.
Among the people there were Pola Negri, Mary Boland and Jessie Royce Landis and her husband (an American army general).
All of these ladies were great talkers and the general & I just sat there quietly. I asked the general if we should interupt and just say something - a few words!!!
He looked terrified and said, "And start World War III?... I'm too old to go to war again!!"...

Several years later, I was at Rideau Hall in Ottawa at a party given by the Governor- General of Canada, George P. Vanier, and his wife, "Madame" Vanier.
My mother and her friend, Mrs. Isnor, wondered what Madame Vanier's first name was as she was always addressed as 'Madame'...
Suddenly, Jessie Royce Landis and the General arrived - "Pauline, darling!!", Jessie called out and flung her arms around Madame.
"Well", said Mrs. Isnor to my mother, "now we know!!"

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Sandy. I'm glad that you enjoy the thread and hope that you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving day.

Larry, I did have a happy Thanksgiving with turkey and all the trimmings plus that pumpkin pie...with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nice to read your recollections of the wonderful Jessie Royce Landis. Always a pleasure.
It's nice to know that you continue to enjoy the thread.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The fabulous Barrymore siblings Ethel and John at a train station
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
FRANCES DEE (1909 - 2004)
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving.

I have to ask seeing as I'm running backwards and forwards, buying gifts, organising the school fair, baking cakes for the Christmas productions, sorting out my Christmas cards and the kids etc. How do you find time to have Thanksgiving too?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alison, my wife takes care of most of that. We had Thanksgiving day at our daughters home and was served well. Most important, we are retired. It took a long time but we finally made it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ADELE JERGENS (1917 - 2002)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel take a java break on the set
of "Bonnie Scotland"
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Now, somebody look at that fine, vintage pic and convince me that a kilt's not absolutely the most comfortable garment a man can wear south of a shirt ?!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving.

I have to ask seeing as I'm running backwards and forwards, buying gifts, organising the school fair, baking cakes for the Christmas productions, sorting out my Christmas cards and the kids etc. How do you find time to have Thanksgiving too?
It depends on who's doing the cooking. A fellow our company does business with stopped in Weds and said, "I love Thanksgiving! All I have to do is show up and eat food!" Most people I know take at least one dish of food to the gathering, so the cook doesn't have quite so much to prepare. (Other than Cleaning the House for Company, making sure all the silverware and dinnerware is clean and presentable, thinking about a "theme" for the decorations, scratching said "theme" in favor of clean and presentable, dealing with lots of "help" in the kitchen, then dealing with the cleanup when all the "help" goes home....finally....)