CARY GRANT

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: CARY GRANT

Post by feaito »

AMAZING Alison!! Today I watched portions in my 40" HD LCD and the difference is BIG! I want a LED TV now :wink: Today I also saw two bonuses from the Blu Ray Edition: Cary Grant, A Class Apart & a Documentary on Hitchcok. Both very informative and entertaining.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've seen A Class Apart and he certainly was. I like Cary's Hitchcock films, I think Notorious is my favorite, I think I'd have liked Suspicion more if he actually was a thorough baddie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

What I like about Suspicion is the constant "doubt" about Cary's character...being portrayed by debonair Cary Grant, one is not sure of anything until the end. "Notorious" is a masterpiece, but "North by Northwest" is knockout in all respects.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

My favorite sentimental comedy of CARY GRANT.
1938 Comedy ... that we all know about.

BRINGING UP BABY

Here are my two favorite photos of that movie ... Cary Grant in that silly nightgown!
This movie always tickle my funny bone!

Turner Classic Movies will be re-playing it again on Sunday, May 15th (2011) at 6:15 Eastern Standard Time.
Attachments
Great Scene Photo from Bringing Up Baby
113.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
112.jpg (160.39 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My favorite Cary Grant movie is without a doubt Mr. Lucky. It's got everything - comedy, drama, romance, a moral boosting theme, and Cary is just great as a darker character, a mystery man who takes another man's name in order to get out of the army and pull a heist on some society fundraisers. Of course, unexpected love changes him. I believe this was his favorite role as well. The chemistry between Grant and Laraine Day is just great.

[youtube][/youtube]

Here it is on Lux Radio Theatre:

[youtube][/youtube]

I liked the TV show too, but no Cary in that.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I discovered Mr. Lucky last year and I found it totally irresistible; an absolute gem! The knitting scene is a riot!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I get all verklempt over this movie! I love Cary, only he can pull off a scene like that. When he rips the needles away from Mrs. Van whatever, it always cracks me up... like Cary's saying "Please, I can do it myself!"

It's so romantic at the end. And I love the fact that each of them changes by coming in contact with the other.
charliechaplinfan

I haven't seen Mr Lucky or Penny Serenade and I do have them. Maybe I need a fix of Cary pretty soon.

I love those pictures of Cary in a negligee, I can't think of any other man who could don a negligee and still be attractive, I think of all my other favorites, Charles Boyer, Montgomery Clift, Fredric March, Charles Farrell, Gene Kelly, Marlon Brando and I'm sure they wouldn't do anything for me in a frilly pink negligee, but Cary Grant, he still has it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree about the negiligee!

I also think it says something about how secure Cary was in himself that he could take up knitting needles or wear a negligee, or dress in female military clothing and not care one whit what people "thought".
charliechaplinfan

Yes and it's refreshing, I especially love him in comedies.
feaito

Post by feaito »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I haven't seen Mr Lucky or Penny Serenade and I do have them. Maybe I need a fix of Cary pretty soon.

I love those pictures of Cary in a negligee, I can't think of any other man who could don a negligee and still be attractive, I think of all my other favorites, Charles Boyer, Montgomery Clift, Fredric March, Charles Farrell, Gene Kelly, Marlon Brando and I'm sure they wouldn't do anything for me in a frilly pink negligee, but Cary Grant, he still has it.

Ali...go rush!!! And watch two of Cary's greatest films!!! IMO, "Penny Serenade" contains one of his most touching, dramatic performances.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Don't talk about it, Ferchu! I'm going to start sniffling!

I'll say the same thing, go rush and watch them - I love both movies so much. :D :cry:
charliechaplinfan

I promise you both I'll watch them, just wait until after the weekend, Chris isn't a big fan of Cary Grant.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Okay, this pre-code scene from The Woman Accused (1933) starts off slowly as fairly boring, but becomes sort of jaw-dropping, thanks to some unexpected reactions from one of the actors. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Cary Grant in this light before either. The movie starred Nancy Carroll as a girl trying to go straight with Cary Grant (who wouldn't?) . The story was based on a 1933 serial in Liberty magazine in which 10 well known authors (Gertrude Atherton, Polan Banks, Vicki Baum, Irvin S. Cobb, Vina Delmarr, Zane Grey, Sophie Kerr, J.P. McEvoy, Ursula Parrott and Bayard Veiller) wrote a chapter for Liberty Magazine. Paramount followed up with this movie. I've no idea if the rest of it is as outlandish as this scene, but perhaps someone else has seen this?

It's Cary Grant vs. Jack LaRue. Who wins?

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Holy.... !!!!

What the heck???