CHARLES BOYER

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: CHARLES BOYER

Post by feaito »

Dear Ali,

Thanks for bringing up "The Magnificent Lie" (1931), a film I've been curious about for years and years, being one of the few films Ruth Chatterton starred in in her short film career and also being Boyer's first English-Language film. I watched it today on youtube and I liked it very much. I think that Ruth Chatterton's performance is pretty good and fresh, spirited and displays lots of humor. Ralph Bellamy is fine as the ex-soldier suffering from poor eyesight (and later....) due to shell-shock in WWI. It's also one of the few opportunities to watch the lovely Françoise Rosay in her prime in a Hollywood film; she's fine as the Theatre Diva. It's good to see Boyer playing and oily character for a change (he played another one in "Le Capitaine Fracasse" as I seem to recall?) and yes, apparently he's not wearing a toupee in this film so he looks with less hair than usual... The film is directed by Berthold Viertel, Salka's husband (who was Greta Garbo's friend and played Marie Dressler's role in the German version of "Anna Christie" (1930) and also scripted some of her films...) As far as I remember they were Peter Viertel's parents, who married Deborah Kerr.

I'd love to see Viertel's "The Man from Yesterday" (1932) in which Boyer has a bigger role opposite Claudette Colbert and Clive Brook; I've read it's a very good film.

Finally I have to say that I'm always in awe of Theresa's ability to write and put down so well her diverse opinions in relation to everything...You are so witty and cultured Theresa, when I read your essays I feel so "basic", truly. God Bless You. And Mesdames Moira, Alison, Christine, Paula, Lynn, April, Nancy, Wendy.... are in that category too. It is a pleasure to read your thoughtful, well-written posts and your witty exchanges...You make me realize that women are superior to us men in that league :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've got the Magnificent Lie queued up as my first watch when I get my streaming privileges back. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I've got the Magnificent Lie queued up as my first watch when I get my streaming privileges back. :D
I'm grateful for you :!:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

JackFavell wrote:I've got the Magnificent Lie queued up as my first watch when I get my streaming privileges back. :D
Have you been a bad girl?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thank you Fernando but I think all of us are posting in our first language but you are posting in a second language and are as eloquent as we are, that is talented.

Wendy, perhaps I could imagine Charles Boyer knitting, I just can't imagine the same kind of faces that Cary is able to pull and still look attractive. Boyer was good at comedy, a fact that wasn't exploited nearly enough. You should catch him in Une Parisienne to watch him play a lecherous prince, he does it with such flair.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for that nice compliment Alison...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with Alison. :D

I haven't been bad, no, at least I don't think so, Chris. it's just we pay for a certain amount of computer time, and we are at our limit for this month. I wish I had something more exciting and wicked to tell you. :D

Alison, I am going to try to get to Une Parisienne one too but I'm getting behind again!
charliechaplinfan

Me too, Wendy. One should always make time for our favourites but it's not always possible.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:I haven't been bad, no, at least I don't think so, Chris. it's just we pay for a certain amount of computer time, and we are at our limit for this month. I wish I had something more exciting and wicked to tell you. :D
Awwww geez. Cain't ya jest make up sumthin''?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]charliechaplinfan[/u] wrote:I will speak up for British males, particularly Cary Grant because if one man was going to challenge Charles Boyer...

Thank you Alison for taking the bait...I mean, for speaking up for British males. I was actually talking about on a more personal basis (British vs. French), but we'll just leave it at movies.
It was one of Cary's later films and although he's very good, especially at the end when he realises (isn't that a lesson in screen acting and both men acquit themselves well) I have to hand that competition to Charles Boyer but is partly influenced because I thought Cary got too thin.
I would have never thought of it on my own, but Boyer really is a worthy challenger to Cary Grant. I know what you mean about being too thin. As much as we want to focus on an actor's thespian abilities, there's no denying that the External is an important factor. It's all subjective.
Now look at Cary in the mid thirties to early fifties and there's no one to match him in the impact of his looks apart from Errol Flynn. The one thing Cary hasn't got is the English accent, which is another thing Errol Flynn has got going for him even though he's not English.
No doubt no doubt, Errol Flynn in his heyday was drop-dead gorgeous. But the actor whose looks are, for me, The Ideal...is TYRONE POWER.

ImageImage Image Image

The visual impact of Tyrone Power on a gigantic screen must have been overwhelming for women back in the late 30's and 40's. Was he genetically created in a test tube? His looks stun me into absolute silence. I saw Alice Faye interviewed very late in her career and asked about making movies with Tyrone Power. I never forgot she said: "Kissing him was like dying and going to heaven." << (( Sigh! )) >> One may argue about his range as an actor. Okay. Maybe. Yeah. For some, his beauty might negate his talent. But...I don't care...I don't care...I don't care...I don't care...I don't care! ("Nightmare Alley"). A film buff cannot live on bread alone!
In terms of longevity and maintaining his A-list credentials there's not a man to match Cary, in personal terms I'm not sure he was a contented man. Charles Boyer had personal and professional contentment until tragedy over took him.

I agree with you on that especially the consistent longevity. A sad end for Boyer...and maybe even kind of tragically romantic. Funny, I have no basis in fact to say this...but I do think Cary Grant was the epitome of the Male Movie Star re: scripts, leading ladies, dashing good looks; I daresay in their secret, private, solitary moments...ALL the guys wished they were Cary Grant.

...Except Clark Gable.
Who do I think is the best actor in my list? In general Charles Boyer but I don't think he could do the completely silly, I mean I don't see him bouncing around in a negligee or sitting with old ladies concentrating whilst knitting. Cary Grant's acting talent is that he makes it look so easy when in fact it can't be.
Yeah, I don't quite see Boyer in a negligee...but I liked him in "Cluny Brown" and I liked this moment in "History Is Made At Night" when he gives Leo Carillo a slightly back-handed compliment on his sauce, walks out of frame, walks back in frame, clucks his tongue and then walks back out. I loved that moment. These two (Boyer & Grant) are like Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck for me in terms of the war in my pointed little noggin' about "Who-Is-Better." Missy and Bette can both stride into a room like a panther, they can both be at home in a nightclub or at home by a fire. They can unload a revolver into any man without batting an eye. But I don't see Bette jumping on a horse and riding away lickety split. Or doing a burlesque strip tease.
Peversely being English I like French actors, Boyer heads the list but I'm partial too to Jean Louis Trintignant, Maurice Chevalier, Alain Delon amongst quite a few others. None of them has an accent quite as seductive as Boyer's.
We probably didn't hear Trintignant or Delon do much in English as we did with Boyer. (Delon was gorgeous!)
I like how excluse our Boyer club is, enough to be able to talk about him to our hearts content but he's our secret. I don't actually know how Jean Arthur didn't get carried away.
Ha!! I'm (re)-discovering actors that you guys have been so totally into from the start. I'm playing catch-up. Guess I've got to check out the "Magnificent Lie" too.

Now tell me...what's the secret handshake?

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:That was a lovely comparison, Alison! You make me realize how much I like Cary, and how skillful he was at pretty much anything. Think of Robert Donat (whom I love dearly) doing any Cary grant role... and then you realize how gifted Grant was.

Isn't that the truth? Comedy, drama, pratfalls, thrillers. Don't all the greats make it look sooooooooo easy, without phoning it in?
Maven, I haven't seen the Plainsman in years and years, but you make me want to watch it again. That's saying a whole lot since CBD is not my favorite director. I remember Jean as being more beautiful in that movie than any other I can think of, even in her Calamity Jane buckskins and all, plus I LOVE the dress she wears with the ripped sleeve, I like the fur trim on it. Amazing that I even remember such ridiculously girly stuff, but it's stuck in my brain for years.
I've never seen it in its entirety (was that a wig Coop was wearing?) You just be the girlie girl you are Wendy. I loved Jean in the buckskins. My favorite outfit of hers is from "Only Angels Have Wings" with her hair loose and shoulder-length (can't do the up-do and tight curls) and that jacket...Aaaaaah, that jacket!

By the by...Boyer and Cary Grant shared a number of leading ladies too:

* Irene Dunne
* Joan Fontaine
* Katharine Hepburn
* Ingrid Bergman
* ...and Jean Arthur

Gee, I'd have loved to have a nice roundtable moviechat with these ladies!

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]feaito[/u] wrote:Finally I have to say that I'm always in awe of Theresa's ability to write and put down so well her diverse opinions in relation to everything...You are so witty and cultured Theresa, when I read your essays I feel so "basic", truly. God Bless You. And Mesdames
Moira, Alison, Christine, Paula, Lynn, April, Nancy, Wendy.... are in that category too. It is a pleasure to read your thoughtful, well-
written posts and your witty exchanges...You make me realize that women are superior to us men in that league
:wink:
WHEW!!! Awe? Culture? I shall have to frame your post and mail it to family and friends because those are two words they have never ever associated with me. Ha! Thank you so much for the compliment. You are too generous. (I will claim the wit, though again, my family might change the first consonant).

Please don't feel your writing is "basic." I find it to be eloquently expressive!!! And you can write in TWO languages at that!

I like so much of the writing here at the Oasis. Why else would I be here, reading, lurking, commenting? I can sort of almost "hear" all your voices by the way you write; especially when you go into detail on why you LIKE a film, and initiate your thoughts and opinions on films. It helps me paint a picture of you for me. Keep writing. Keep sharing.

...But yes, girls write better than boys!

charliechaplinfan

I can't possibly take up the argument British versus French, it can be very contentious at times but personally I love France and the French, our tabloid papers try to drum up headlines from time to time to fill news print and President Sarkosy gives them plenty of ammunition. I love French cinema, actors and actresses, the country, the food etc.

I was thinking further along the lines of similarity towards Cary Grant and Charles Boyer, they aren't actors you would immediately pair but there are similarities that we've discussed but is it possible that adept on screen as they are, the are typecast or unable to carry off a certain kind of film. The period pieces I've seen Cary Grant in are misfires, even I can't believe him in Howards of Virginia and I don't think it's that it was a bad performance but Cary Grant is of the moment, he's 'on trend' if you will and certainly doesn't suit breeches, cut off jackets and wigs. Boyer on the other hand is brilliant in period pieces, Mayerling and Conquest but wasn't given the extremes of screwball comedy to carry off, I think he'd have been hilarious because he's so serious.

I haven't seen very many of Tyrone Power's pictures and I can see that he is a contender to the most handsome man in pictures but for me he's just too handsome and sculpted, strange thing for me to say as Errol Flynn is another man who is just too good looking for his own good but he does get me. I have enjoyed the Tyrone Power movies that I've seen and it's refreshing that Alice Faye said it was so lovely to kiss Tyrone Power, usually they say that it's all in a day's work or there's too many people around, it's too technical etc.

Delon is gorgeous but like Tyrone Power he's just too good looking and I think Delon knows it too. I'm far more a Trintignant kind of gal, he's the better actor too in my opinion although for a pretty boy, Delon is a very good actor, Trintignant is one of my favourites.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Wendy too.

And Theresa, you SSO women write down your thoughts as poetic Goddesses...that's why you are superior to us mortal men...

Looking forward to reading more enlightening posts at SSO