Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:This morning's "Gunsmoke" was kind of creepy. There is Ken Curtis not playing Festus. He plays a man who takes up with a married woman and even has time to kill someone along the way before meeting up with his demise. What is even stranger is it looked like he wore the same boots and spurs he wore later when he did play Festus.
Gee, this sounds like a great part for Curtis. Having watched some of the Gunsmoke episodes with Dennis Weaver and without his guileless, wistful character of Chester, I am convinced that Ken Curtis made a terrific villain but an unlikely deputy to Marshal Dillon. I must confess that I liked Ken Curtis fine when he was a singer in the '40s with Tommy Dorsey and as a member of The Sons of the Pioneers, but find Ken sort of insufferable as an actor--though in a strange way I admire his ability to go dark and dirty .

In the period of The Searchers, I thought that Curtis was perfectly cast as a totally vile, smiling and obsequious, snake-like sidewinder in his efforts to win Vera Miles hand, at least in my admittedly prejudiced pov. In an alternate script for The Searchers that I'd like to believe existed, Curtis is also captured by the Comanches, and they kill him just to make him stop singing and smiling so darn much. I also root for The Killer Shrews and The Giant Gila Monster whenever I see those monster movies Curtis appeared in during the late '50s.

I'm not sure which is worse: Ken Curtis in his cleaned up slick mode or Ken Curtis in his smelly saddle tramp mode. I've tried to see some of the episodes when he was a central figure in Gunsmoke, but I rarely am able to last throughout the hour, especially if Festus has any long speeches.

"Creepy" is the perfect word for Ken Curtis. Sorry, Gunsmoke aficionados. I'll try to be more positive (less facetious and more serious) next time I post.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: I also root for The Killer Shrews and The Giant Gila Monster whenever I see those monster movies Curtis appeared in during the late '50s.
What a rush!
Ken Curtis actually shared screen time with Fred "Leg-up" Graham as the unforgettable Sheriff Jeff, stalwart nemesis of the Giant Gila Monster! :mrgreen:
Man, you know your work is immortal when it's showcased on "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"!
8) 8) 8)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Klondike. Welcome back. Things feel normal now.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

Pleasure to be back, Neighbor.
Don't think I've ever been credited with maintaining normalcy before; fits good, though, and feels nice! :o
klondike

Post by klondike »

Pardon me, Friends, for replying to my own post, so to speak, but I'm halfway through my third Thanksgiving Eve Jameson's, and I just found the following, and felt it had to be shared right here & now, 'cause for all "Gunsmoke"'s vaunted appeal down the long years, I ask ye:
Did Matt & Doc & Kitty ever have their show's theme performed post-facto by a top-selling recording artist ?!!

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Neither "Gunsmoke" theme (version) was all that memorable. "Bonanza" didn't suffer that fate.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I caught what must have been the ultimate "Gunsmoke" this morning (almost all of it.) "Prairie Wolfer." Had everyone of what would be the regulars in this one. Chester, Quint, Matt, Kitty and Doc (I came in late but they were in the credits) and Festus. None of the three "sidekicks" appeared in the same scene that I saw. The telling part was at the end when Festus was going off to Texas Matt asked him if he'd come back. Festus answered that Matt could count on it.

I wish Weaver had a little better send off but I guess they didn't do that in the old days.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I've really gotten attached to Chester. I love Festus, too, but I was sad that Weaver just sort of disappeared from the show.
I remember when I was a kid and they played the episodes where Doc was gone for a while and they had this "substitute"
doctor...and they put into the plot that the regulars were not as friendly toward them because they loved Doc and looked
upon him as an interloper, especially Festus who couldn't stand him. And I was just as bad! I HATED the new guy, I was
SO UPSET that he was there and I was all mad that Doc was gone it was like a member of the family. I was so happy
when Doc came back, ha.

Boy, this is when you know you truly are of the "TV Generation" when these people are too real to you.

Heaven knows how I will react when we lose Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore. I may have
to put on widow's weeds.

:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The smart thing they did was go to a whole different character rather than just replace Weaver. They both share a basic gentlemanly quality to them. Almost always polite but Chester had a quiet sense of him. He was often shy. That was not a problem with Festus but his boisterousness never get in the way of his really being a good man and friend. I don't care how much he and Doc fought they would have been lost without each other.

I never watched it much when I was a youngster and I don't remember the time you mention but I can see why. It is hard to imagine that group staying with one show so long.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Chester was shy but not with the ladies! He always seemed to be sweet on any girl who looked at him, ha. I think
there were only a couple of women who fancied Festus...his personal hygiene probably was behind that. :D

I bet after 20 years the cast really felt like a "family" and it must have been fun going to work every day. When
you like who you work with it isn't like work at all, and I can't imagine being together that long without feeling
really closely tied. Amazing that Matt, Burt and Newly are the only ones left. Or is Dennis Weaver still with us?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Weaver died a couple of years ago.

BTW, Festus was beardless this morning.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I never warmed up to Chester especially where the ladies were concerned. He seemed to come on like he expected every lady to be enthralled that he was paying attention to her. He didn't look like any Greek God I ever heard of, and any lady who lived in town and met him (even out of town on a nearby ranch), would know that he was working with only 3/4 of a loaf, unless she never talked to him. Festus, on the other hand was more worried about the lady's well being in most cases than in any romantic way, except in the episodes where he played someone other than Festus.

I'm still enjoying Gunsmoke thoroughly, but I've noticed one irritating thing. Matt doesn't always wait to hear both sides of a story. If he sees a fight, or a gun fight, he assumes the one standing is the one to arrest. e.g. today's story, the cook was deliberately mean to the little boy, even if he was an indian, he was still a hungry child, and to dump his food into the dirt was unnecessary, and any man worth his salt would take a couple of swings at the cook, yet, when Matt got there, the cook was lying on the ground and the other fellow was arrested for attacking him. Matt, being as honest and fair as he usually is, would never arrest the guy after hearing the story, but this plot had him acting out of character as has happened quite a few time that I've seen. If the man is a stranger, Matt arrests, but if Matt knows him, even slightly, he listens to the story of what happened.

As for Doc Adams, I may be mixing up his character with another from another show, but didn't he leave for heart surgery and be replaced by Pat Higgins? It should be coming up soon and maybe I'll get some info then.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Know what I think?
I think that if Matt & Doc & Kitty & Festus & Sam the Bartender had a big old fistfight with the four original Cartwrights, plus Hop Sing, that the Ponderosa gang would definitely win . . :twisted: !
. . . As long as their toupees didn't get knocked off . . . :|
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Mrsl, did you notice Leonard Nimoy as one of the bad guys in that episode? ("His Name is Wonder.")

Also great to see Eddie Little Sky as the cavalry Indian scout.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Eddie LIttle Sky was one of the few American Indians working in acting at the time, now a lot of them have returned to their old stomping grounds around Montana and California.

Trust me Pvi, I never miss a Star Trek alumni in 50's shows or movies. DeForrest Kelley shows up quite a lot and from another 'star' Harrison Ford was the bad boy one day last week too.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************