Stars:
Robert Conrad--James "Jim" West
Ross Martin--Artemus "Arte" Gordon
Guest stars:
Ricardo Montalban--Colonel Vautrain
Diane Foster--Amanda Vautrain
Felice Orlandi--Captain Scofield
Gregory Morton--Levering

Plot: A magician chooses Arte as a volunteer in his act. When he makes Arte disappear he truly vanishes and nobody knows where he is. Jim investigates and the trail leads to Colonel Vautrain (Montalban). The Colonel had lost his legs seven years earlier at the Battle of Vicksburg against Captain James West's northern troops. He holds Jim responsible for his disability and is holding Arte's life as incentive for Jim to obey him.

The Colonel seems to have magical powers and has concocted a plan to go back in time and change history so that he doesn't lose his legs. But what other consequences could his actions have on the outcome of the war? The Colonel attempts to explain what he's going to do, "A warp in the fabric of space, a break that could permit an object or a group of Marco Polos, if you please, to enter and go voyaging through space's limitless Fourth Dimension....time! Which is what happened to the bronze bust (when it disappeared) and what happened to you gentlemen too, awhile back."
Jim, "The question was how you do it."
Colonel, "Ah, Mr. West. There are a lot of tags for the answer to that. The wise men of India call it Denasuk, faith that you can move the fabled mountain because you can depend on it. All the pent up power of the Universe is corralled up here (holding his temples) in all of us. But I have learned the trick of focusing it, releasing it and harnessing it. I wasn't sure it would work with people, but it does!"

Imagine Montalban in full angry emoting mode spitting out the speech (think Wrath of Khan!).

9* (out of 10) For the series.
9* (out of 10) for this episode. Was it western-aged time travel or an illusion? Another colorful guest star to keep Jim and Arte on their toes.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 8/7/2007
Title: The Wild Wild West TV Show Made: 1966-67
Genre: Western/Spy Studio: CBS-Paramount
Format: DVD Extras-This is the complete Series 2--28 episodes
Number of times viewed: 5

Season 2 Episode 16 Original Air Date: 1/13/1967
The Night of the Feathered Fury

Stars:
Guest stars:
Victor Buono--Count Manzeppi
Michele Carey--Gerda Sharff
Perry Lopez--Dodo
George Murdock--Luther
Hideo Imamura--Benji
Oliver McGowan--Col. Armstrong
Audrey Lowell--Wanda

Plot: Victor Buono returns as the mysterious, and sometimes magical, Count Manzeppi (Count Manzeppi was in the first episode of the second season, The Night of the Inferno 19-17-66. Buono also guest starred in the first season as Wing Fat and Juan Manolo.). This time the Count is desperately seeking a toy wind-up chicken! He is assisted by three henchmen, each with a deadly specialty, Dodo (Lopez), Luther (Murdock) and Benji (Imamura). There is also the duplicitous Gerda (Carey), who can't make up her mind whether she's working with the Count or betraying him to steal the chicken for herself.

The chicken ends up in Jim's hands which gives the Count a reason to send his killers after him. When Jim is confronted by the three ruffians and his defeat seems assured he is typically calm.
Jim, "Kismet! What will be, will be. I believe a man's destiny is written in the stars!"
As he's saying this he is cutting a rope that is holding up a large Star-shaped light that then crashes down on top of Dodo and Luther.

Inevitably Jim does get caught by the villain, which allows the Count to explain why he is after the toy chicken:
Count, "What is the big attraction, you ask? It lays these kind of eggs!" (Heholds up a handful of golden bolts).
Jim, "Nuts and bolts of solid gold?"
Count, "And this....and this! (Pulling out more golden bolts) A few nights ago these homely little objects were made of iron. I, myself, placed them beside the chicken by the light of the full moon, you understand, for that is a basic prerequisite, and before my very eyes they changed to purest gold!"

It turns out that the legendary Philosopher's Stone is hidden within the chicken. This stone has the Midas touch when set next to an item in the light of the full moon. But be careful not to touch the stone yourself when the full moon is out, it won't be a werewolf that you transform into!

Jim refuses to reveal the whereabouts of the toy chicken so the Count orders Benji to skin Jim alive until he talks. His final advice to Benji as he's about to begin the skinning, "He's apt to prove unpleasantly athletic. Have Luther and Dodo lend you a hand. Mr. West....enjoy!"

Arte gets to disguise himself as an Organ Grinder and as Uncle Heinzie, who invirtes himself into the Count's lair to free Jim. He uses a seltzer bottle filled with sleeping liquid to get past the henchmen.

9* (out of 10) For this episode. Victor Buono is a very colorful villain with his own style of pizzaz. The Count uses a mechanical toy shop as his hideout which lends itself to several interesting visuals. A fun story from beginning to end with an interesting fantasy angle. The viewer is never quite sure if the Count actually has mystical powers or is just a trickster.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 9/5/2007

Season 2 Episode 17 Original Air Date: 1/6/1967
The Night of the Tottering Tontine

Stars:
Guest stars:
Harry Townes--Dr. Raven
Robert Emhardt--Grevely
Steve Gravers--Stimson
Michael Road--Dexter
Henry Darrow--Maurice
Arthur Space--Applegate
Lisa Pera--Amelia
Willliam Wintersole--Baring
Wilhelm Von Homburg--Pearse

Plot: A group of very wealthy investors had banded together to create the Tontine (an investment arrangement and contract). The only thing they miscalculated was that they set the group up so that in the event of any of their deaths the survivors split all profits. Someone has decided to increase their share by killing off members of the group. Since these are very well-known and wealthy men (and one woman) Jim and Arte are assigned to protect Dr. Raven (Townes) from becoming one of the plots victims.

As Dr. Raven, accompanied by Jim and Arte, travels to the Grevely (Emhardt) Mansion to meet with the other investors, they meet Stimson (Gravers) in a bar. Stimson is also an investor who likes to show off his six-gun prowess by shooting bottles off the bar. When he draws his second gun and fires it has been rigged to shoot backwards, killing him.

Jim accesses the situation, "Stimson down. Six corpses (investors) to go!"

When they arrive at the Grevely Mansion, which is positioned on a cliff surrounded by a 1200 foot drop, Arte is not with them. Dr. Raven impatiently wonders where he is. Arte arrives in disguise with the excuse, "Sorry I'm late, mustache trouble!"

Inside the mansion are the six investors, Jim, Arte and Amelia's (Pera) bodyguard, prizefighter Baring (Wintersole) congregate. Almost immediately they find that the exit from the mansion is inactive and they are all trapped within the home, setting up the perfect old dark house scenario. Thunder and lightning (absent upon Jim and Arte's arrival) puts on a show outside the windows. Another member dies before the group's eyes and they all begin to worry.

Grevely (in a frenzy), "I no longer want to have a meeting in my house. I move we adjourn right now!"

Everyone retires to their assigned rooms (old dark house cliché #254). Jim snoops around the basement to find clues to the killer. He is assaulted by three men in black hounds and knocked out. He awakes to find himself tied to a rocket sled on tracks aimed to launch over the cliff. Of course, after the bad guys light the rockets they leave the room assuming Jim will be launched into oblivion. Bad guy boo-boo #1.

The story includes trap doors, red herrings, death traps, narrow escapes, disguises and cliché plot devices. How fun! There is never a dull moment and the show continuously provides an adrenaline rush. (I had just been reading an article that said Robert Conrad busted the seams on the back of his skin-tight britches often during filming of the fight scenes). Another colorful episode with gimmicks and guile. Bravo!

9* (out of 10) For the series!
9* (out of 10) For this episode. Yes, I am very biased, but this is one of the most entertaining series ever made!
Last edited by cinemalover on October 12th, 2007, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 9/24/2007

Season 2 Episode 18 Original Air Date: 1/20/1967
The Night of the Gypsy Peril

Stars:
Guest stars:
Ruta Lee--Zoe Zagora
Ronald Long--Sultan of Ramapur
Mark Slade--Hillard
Arthur Batanides--Scullon
Johnny Seven--Mikolik
Charles Horvath--Gombal

Jim and Arte are assigned to safeguard the Sultan of Ramapur (Long) as he travels from San Francisco to Washington on the Wanderer (Jim's personal train) for a diplomatic mission. One small complication, the Sultan insists on bringing a sacred white baby elephant, Akbar, with him to present to the President as a goodwill gift. Shortly after departed S.F. the train has to stop due to a rockslide on the track. As soon as they stop they are boarded by a gang of outlaws looking for an easy score. That score will include the elephant.

Hillard (Slade), the gang-leader, "We're taking it with us!"
The Kid, "Why?"
Hillard, "Because elephants are worth money....lots of it!"

The gang takes the elephant and asks for one million dollars in ransom. The Sultan is outraged. He demands that the U.S. government pays the ransom or he will call off negotiations and imprison all American citizens that are in Ramapur. Hillard orders the kid to take the elephant off into the woods and kill him because he knows he can get the ransom with or without the elephant.

The kid is too soft to shoot Akbar, so he figures to take the elephant far enough away that Hillard won't know. The kid meets gypsy Zoe Zagora (Lee) who leads a traveling gypsy circus. She offers to buy the elephant for her circus and offers to read the kid's future as well. While reading his future she uses gas to knock him out, steals the elephant and his wallet too.

Meanwhile Jim is captured by Hillard and the gang while trying to get the elephant back. Arte has to come to his rescue, signaling him with a coyote call before saving him.
Arte, "How'd you like my coyote call?"
Jim, "That was a coyote?"
Arte (bragging), "I had three answering calls from females proposing marriage!"

As always the chemistry between the two stars is one of the strongest and most entertaining points of the show.

Jim runs off to track down Akbar and stumbles upon the gypsy camp in the middle of the night. As he's snooping he walks right into the barrel of a large hand-gun , held by Zoe.
Jim, "You wouldn't shoot anyone with that cannon, would you?"
Zoe, "Only thing that holds me back, there is nothing more irritable than a band of gypsies woken out of a sound sleep!"
Jim, "Oh, well...that's simple. If you'll drop the gun I'll leave very, very quietly."

When asked what he's doing sneaking around the camp...
Zoe, "Speak up. I don't want to shoot a handsome thief" (flirt, flirt)

Jim uses the excuse that he's on the run from the law and wants to join the circus as an acrobat.
Jim, "Do you think you could get me an audition with the head man?"
Zoe, "I am the head man!"
Jim, "That's a GREAT disguise!" (flirt, flirt right back at ya')

Arte soon joins the troop dressed as Zumo, the peddling man. He's a loud, obnoxious salesman. Together Jim and Arte have to figure out how to smuggle out Akbar.
Arte teasing Jim, "Why haven't you taken Akbar back?"
Jim, "Because I can't run very fast with an elephant on my back!"

Once Jim and Arte get an opportunity to closely inspect Akbar they realize things are not all that they seem. Now they must solve the mystery of who is really behind the ransom scheme.

9* (out of 10) For this incredible series.
7* (out of 10) For this episode. It is not quite up to the high standards of the series. Too much silliness and no strong central villain for Jim to play off of. There is a lot of banter between the boys, but they can't be at their sharpest without being challenged by a solid, over-the-top nemesis.
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I moved my Wild Wild West thread over from TCM as I have completed my transition. I have been methodically (and lovingly) viewing the entire second season of one of my all time favorite television shows. I welcome any of your opinions on this show, which I am admitedly biased towards. I hope to have the entire second season reviewed here in time. (And future seasons as they are, hopefully, released).

Anyone else fall in love with this wild show while growing up?
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Date watched: 10/21/2007

Season 2 Episode 19 Original Air Date: 2/3/1967
The Night of the Tartar

Stars:
Guest stars:
John Astin--Count Sazanov
Malachi Throne--Kuprov
Susan Odin--Anastacia
Andre Phillipe--Fidor Rimsky
Martin Blaine--Millard Boyer
Walter Sande--Colonel Crockett
Chubby Johnson--Prospector
Michael Panaieff--Chekov

Plot: Here's an episode that features some Mission Impossible style deception and a story that twists and turns so that you're never sure who or what can be trusted. Jim and Arte are assigned to transact a prisoner exchange. They will be trading the Russian Feodor Rimsky (Phillipe) for the American Vice Council Millard Boyer (Blaine). One slight complication, Millard is being held in Siberia by the unstable Count Sazanov (Astin) and the boys must travel there to complete the exchange.

Prison guards deliver Rimsky to Jim and Arte aboard the Wanderer (their train).
Jim (to the guards), "Thank you, gentlemen. Give your warden my best!"
Guard (shrugging), "Why not? He sent you his worst!" (Nodding towards Rimsky.

As soon as the guards have left rifle shots penetrate the windows of the Wanderer, presumably with the intent of killing Rimsky before he can escape to Siberia. It turns out that Rimsky has been a very bad boy. He routinely exploits and blackmails the Russian immigrants in the area, making their lives even more miserable than the poverty-stricken homeland they had hoped to escape. Under the confusion of the shots Rimsky bolts for the door and runs off the train. He is obsessed with accomplishing something, but he refuses to share the facts with jim or Arte. During his attempted run Rimsky is accidentally killed.

Now Jim and Arte are in a real pickle. They must have Rimsky to get Boyer safely home. It's a darn good thing that Arte is a master-of-disguise and just happens to speak fluent Russian! Jim and Arte (as Rimsky) prepare for their long voyage which includes meeting some local Russian characters to try out Arte's ability to remain undetected. They are both drugged. When they awake they believe it to be a month later and that they have landed in Siberia. Jim goes to meet with Count Sazanov to bargain for the prisoner exchange. Arte is left behind to protect their assts, namely himself. The Count is not interested in bantering and throws Jim in the dungeon, swearing that his men will be able to find Rimsky on their own. Once in the dungeon Jim meets the imprisoned Boyer. Atre is soon captured as well and all three sit in a prison cell. The Count is really only interested in Rimsky because he sent Rimsky to America to raise five million dollars for him, and he wants his money, whcih the real Rimsky has hidden somewhere.

Arte's disguise faces the ultimate test when he meets Rimsky's wife, Anastasia (Odin). Anastasia obviously recognizes the fake, but she won't turn Arte in if he'll just tell her where the money is. Oh, and by the way, Boyer is really working with the Count and is planning on splitting the profits evenly.

There are Cossacks tossing spears at jim's bound body, deception at every door and a crazy Count who likes to fire off his pistol randomly throughout his palace, simply because he can. Betrayal follows betrayal and Jim and Arte can't keep up with whom is playing whom. The end supplies another surprise as nothing is as it seems.

Campy fun at its adventuress best. John Astin, who was only one year removed from having immortalized Gomez Addams, plays his character so broadly and comically over-the-top that you wouldn't need a sattelite to spot him from space. The comradarie between Jim and Arte is outstanding as always and the rest of the cast fills in the blanks.

9* (out of 10) For this episode. Astin provides a wacky villain who stands up well in the shows rogue's gallery. It's just fun, what can I say?
Chris

cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I'm headin' back in to visit our two western spies on the Wanderer...

Date watched: 11/9/2007

Season 2 Episode 20 Original Air Date: 2/10/1967
The Night of the Vicious Valentine

Stars:
Guest stars:
Agnes Moorehead--Emma Valentine
Diane McBain--Elaine
Sherry Jackson--Michele
Henry Beckman--PJ Lambert
Walter sande--Col. Crockett
Shephard Menken--Itnelav
J. Edward McKinley--Curtis Dodd
Owen Cunningham--Minister
Mitzie Evans--Aide

Jim and Arte are investigating the "Alphabet Murders", where several prominent industrialists have turned up dead. At first there doesn't appear to be any connections between the deaths but Jim and Arte persevere. Their search leads them to The Friendly Card Company. This company specializes in wedding invitations for the well-to-do, among other things. The light bulb goes on in our boys' heads and they realize that every man on the dead list had recently gotten married. In fact, not only had all these rich old men been newlyweds, they all wed beautiful young women.

Jim and Arte are faced with the unenviable task of convincing millionaire PJ Lambert (Beckman) to cancel his wedding to the beautiful Michele (Jackson). They try to convince him that this marriage will lead to his untimely death, but PJ is thinking with other regions of his body and isn't going to disappoint his fiancé. Especially after she tears up upon hearing the possibility of a postponement.

Michele has someone helping her with all of her preparations, in fact it is the person responsible for her meeting and courting PJ. That supporter is Emma Valentine (Moorehead), who seems unusually interested in Michele's successful wedding vows. Miss Valentine inspects the bride-to-be's attire prior to the ceremony. When Michele seems to be having some second thoughts about going through with the marriage Miss Valentine scolds her. "I really don't understand you, you silly girl. From a barmaid in a filthy French bistro to the wife of the wealthiest man in America, you should be grateful! It wasn't easy teaching you how to walk, dress, and to speak in just the way calculated to win PJ..."
It seems Miss Valentine has schemes all her own and may be behind the other deceased millionaires.

Jim suspects that Valentine is behind the whole mess and snoops around her quarters, looking for proof. Instead he is captured by her thugs and locked down in a real "loveseat". He is pinned to the chair by three sets of mechanical arms, made to look like the arms of attractive young ladies. The pressure at which the arms hold Jim down is entirely in the control of Miss Valentine. One wrong move and Jim could be hugged to death!

In the tradition of all good villains, Miss Valentine cannot resist bragging about her plans to her captive audience.
Miss Valentine, "After today, I will control enough strategic wealth to become a real power in this nation. Enough to make Congress meet my every demand!"
Jim, "What are your demands?"
Valentine, "That this country be temporarily governed by the monarchy system under which I shall reign as queen!"
Jim, "You mentioned a temporary monarchy?"
Valentine, "Well, yes. I should not wish to rule forever, just long enough to secure total independence for women. Then, after time, I shall release this country into a democracy....and allow a grateful nation to elect me president!"

As the wedding approaches Arte joins Jim on the captured list. They are both strapped onto a cored device that is in "tune" with the chapel's piano. At the conclusion of the playing of the Wedding March Jim and Arte will be dead.
Arte (commenting on his impending fate), "I don't usually cry at weddings but I may make an exception in this case!"

Can the boys save themselves so that they can save PJ form being "lovestruck" at his own wedding?

9* (out of 10) For this wonderful series.
9* (out of 10) For another quality episode. Moorehead is fabulous as Miss Valentine, who wants to fill the world with her own special brand of love. Her costume and the outrageous sets with a Valentine theme as a visual delight. Lookout when she starts to use that "Endora" voice!
Chris