Three Greatest American Talkie comedies

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

traceyk wrote:If we can use modern movies from Britain, I can name a couple that are faves of mine: "Waking Ned Devine" and "The Full Monty." Hilarious, once you get used to the accents.

Also, it's interesting how a lot of shows that started on the BBC now have American versions, like "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" and "Trading Spaces."
You know, Tracey, IMO our "Whose Line" is one instance where the American version is even better than the British version. I like the British version fine, but the North American players on our "Whose Line" really fly.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

My favorite comedy -- American, talking, or otherwise -- is easily Duck Soup.

Number 2 is easy, too -- Dr. Strangelove.

Maybe laughing about war is cathartic for me. Must be some Baby Boomer/Cold War syndrome.

After that, it depends on the day -- so today it's The Plot Against Harry.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jdb1 wrote:
traceyk wrote: our "Whose Line" is one instance where the American version is even better than the British version. I like the British version fine, but the North American players on our "Whose Line" really fly.
I really liked both versions of "Whose Line." I thought the American version late in its run relied too heavily on sexual innuendo too often. Through the years I became more impressed with Colin Mockery. The biggest problem with the English version was trying to understand anything John Sessions said.

On another note I really like "As Time Goes By." I think it is a softer form of comedy. I never could get "Are You Being Served." Too many weirdos for my money. But i liked the weirdest one of all - "Mr. Bean." What I've seen on "Black Adder" I like. We probably don't get near as many shows as we think we do.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb and tracey:

You forgot the biggest one of all, which I'll never understand - The Office. I don't like the American version because there is nothing about the star that I find likable. I don't find it in his movies either, so I know its' him and not the show. However, I like the English guy better because his opinion of himself is somehow funnier for him than the American guy.

I saw the J. Roberts/Hugh Grant movie Notting Hill, then a few months later happened to tune in to Coupling and was shocked to find half the cast from the movie in the TV show. Also, I could never recall John Hannahs' name until I caught him in his BBC show where he's a detective.

I'm so darn selfish I consider our stars ours only, but only recently have realized other countries have stars also, and occasionally they filter 'across the pond' to do a movie or two here, so it no longer surprises me when looking through imdB that someones' name may show up as starring in a movie made in England, Holland, or who knows where.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:
jdb1 wrote:
traceyk wrote: our "Whose Line" is one instance where the American version is even better than the British version. I like the British version fine, but the North American players on our "Whose Line" really fly.
I really liked both versions of "Whose Line." I thought the American version late in its run relied too heavily on sexual innuendo too often. Through the years I became more impressed with Colin Mockery. The biggest problem with the English version was trying to understand anything John Sessions said.

On another note I really like "As Time Goes By." I think it is a softer form of comedy. I never could get "Are You Being Served." Too many weirdos for my money. But i liked the weirdest one of all - "Mr. Bean." What I've seen on "Black Adder" I like. We probably don't get near as many shows as we think we do.
However, Chris, I think what we see on "Whose Line" is what the show's editors give us, and a great deal of the really smart stuff is shown to us only in little bits. To my eye, the British version was just a bit too reserved, and the "wilder" comic riffs were not shown, although you got the impression they were there. I think both versions could have been a tad more balanced, but I still prefer the American one, if only because the participants were generally more likable.

I love the British, but many of the participants on the first few seasons of the British show were on the distant and snobbish side, I thought. Episodes of that show that we saw later on had improv artists who were a bit warmer. Plus, there was always that British public school bias. I hooped and hollered when Greg Proops once baited the British host with "Isn't it time for you to make some inappropriate anti-American comment now?" Colin Mocherie is definitely a treasure; sharp as a tack, smart as a whip, and in no discernable way egotistical about it -- I wonder how we can lure him out of Canada again.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Also, it's interesting how a lot of shows that started on the BBC now have American versions, like "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" and "Trading Spaces."
There's a long tradition of comedy being stolen for the other side of the pond, and almost always the remake is awful. And while that applies to American remakes of English shows, it's actually even more applicable to English remakes of American shows, because I can't think of one off the top of my head that worked that way.

There are a few exceptions from England to the States though. I've never really seen these but Sanford and Son, All in the Family and Three's Company are apparently true American classics, even though they're all remakes of English shows. I have seen the original English versions of all three and they're classics in their own right. I haven't seen the American version of The Office either, but people tell me it works well.

However, avoid the American versions of Coupling or Men Behaving Badly with as much passion as you should avoid the English versions of Married with Children or The Golden Girls.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

By the way, I was delighted to discover that The Major and the Minor and Midnight will be releasd on DVD April 22, 2008! I can't tell what kind of supplemental material they'll feature, other than introductions by our very own Robert Osborne.

Yippee!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's funny you mention Benny Hill as he was an early into to British humor. (After Monty Python and the practically never heard of "Doctor In The House.") I thought he had some fun characters and looked like he loved every minute of it. One of the things I admired most was his/their talent for writing all those songs. Not an easy thing to do. They were fun and often pretty decent tunes.

I read somewhere that British TV doesn't want to show them anymore as they don't reflect English society now. Too bad, one can always use a good laugh.

I agree with you on "Are You Being Served." Just awful IMO. I like "Keeping Up Appearances." I really like "As Time Goes By" for what I see as a gentle comedy. A natural group of relationships. (Can't stand "Aunt Penny" though but I guess that is the point.)
Chris

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

05/15/2008 Sorry to weigh in on this so late. Kinda quiet on the TCM Board tonite. Besides, I want to have a different experience.

For my money...the three greatest American comedies would be:

1. "PILLOW TALK"

2. "ANNIE HALL"

3. "BLAZING SADDLES"

The romance of the chase with the greatest romantic comedy screen couple in movie history: Rock Hudson & Doris Day. Does any couple come close to them in their trilogy of films? If you're in the doldrums, put any of their three movies on your DVD. You'll see.

The history of a relationship from meeting, getting to know each other and breaking up. Woody's movie is the blueprint for every modern day romantic comedy in films since the 1970's. It must've been what it was like to see Rock & Doris for the first time. (I have never been able to warm up to "My Man Godfrey" and I'm a big Lombard fan).

The anarchy of Mel Brooks was insane. I used to go to the Sutton Theatre (in NYC on 57th Street & Third Avenue) and stay for at least three screenings back-to-back of "Blazing Saddles" and the audiences howled. Mel turned the western genre on its ear touching race, sexuality and Hollywood movies. The ending when the characters have a pie throwing contest and drive off the set of the movie we've been seeing has not been topped.

Mel, Gene, Cleavon, Madeleine, and Harvey Korman as Headley Lamarr...Mel Brooks was a genius.

I'd like to give an honorable mention to that disgusting piece of scatological comedy: "BORAT." I loved the film and left the theatre in tears with my stomach hurting from laughing SO hard. It was truly outrageously hilarious. You haven't lived until you see the fight scene in the hotel between the two male leads. OMG!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Today:

1. The Bank Dick - #1, without question. I roar every time I watch this film, but my friends just don't seem to get it.

2. Bringing Up Baby - oh, so conventional a choice, but I think Grant, Hepburn, May Robson and Charlie Ruggles are a scream.

3. My Man Godfrey ('36) - which boasts possibly the greatest casting ever in a screwball comedy. Alice Brady and Eugene Pallette are just as good as Powell and Lombard.

On another day, I might replace #2 and/or #3 with A Shot in the Dark, Duck Soup, Trouble in Paradise, Auntie Mame, The Lady Eve, It's a Gift, or The Miracle of Morgan's Creek.

Glad this was limited to talkie comedies. Otherwise I'd have never been able to neglect Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd.

-Stephen
Last edited by srowley75 on May 15th, 2008, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

This one is kind of tricky as only one of my 3 is pure comedy:

1. Holiday - Hepburn and Grant at the height of their powers. Not strictly a comedy, but I am in awe of the chemistry of the two leads.

2. Stage Door - Ginger Rogers is adorable and their is just too many good lines to count, from pretty much everyone.

3. Bringing Up Baby - More Hepburn and Grant, just ridiculously good throughout.

Honorable mentions include The Awful Truth, His Girl Friday, UHF, The Big Lebowski, and Office Space.

But Kate overrides them all.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

CineMaven wrote:05/15/2008 Sorry to weigh in on this so late.
No one should be sorry about being late to anything. Sometimes having an old thread brought up gives all a chance to think about things again. I think it's good when new people bring up some old stuff.

Don't worry. Feel free to look through the old threads and comment on anything.
Chris

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't think I've put my two penny worth in here. These are mine

1 Some Like It Hot Perfect, perfect, perfect. I love it so much. Billy Wilder's best film

2 Bringing Up Baby 'I'm coming Mr Peabody' :lol: This film showcases not only the acting talents of Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant but also the adeptness at physical comedy.

3 Arsenic and Old Lace I know it has it's detractors. Many people don't like it. However the idea of two nice old ladies killing of gentlemen callers is so funny to me. Cary hated his performance, he thought it too overdone and didn't like the film at all. You've got to look at it as very tongue in cheek
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin