100 best

Chit-chat, current events
melwalton

100 best

Post by melwalton »

I got this from another site, a best movies list. and posted a criticism. I'll try to dig up the list if anyone is interested. Here's what I said;
Hi, Jeri.

I read the 40s list, Very good list except for the order. Why does everyone think 'Casablanca' is the greatest thing since chocolate? It was / is a very ordinary movie, plus the high rank for the confusing 'Third Man'. I can't accept there being 54 movies better than 'Brief Encounter'. The list, although a good one wasn't overflowing with musicals.

Consolation, Jeri, You'll get first pick in the draft. After the first two games, I thought we would but they crossed me up as usual. ...... mel
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I read those lists, too. As usual, the best actor and actress lists left me cold because of all the newbies ranking so highly.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

This would work better if there was context to this so yes please dig up the actual list for us to peruse. I'm sure i'll have tons of comments.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Thanks i'll peruse these tomorrow most likely.
melwalton

100 best

Post by melwalton »

Thanks Miss G. You saved me some work. .... mel
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Hmm interesting lists. The only real questionable calls I think is having Seven Samurai over On the Waterfront as best movie of the '50s.

Meryl Streep while very talented SHOULD NOT be #2 actress of all time. I think that should go to Bette Davis. As for the actors....Olivier in 2nd....Ummmm OK. I would've put Jimmy Stewart in that slot.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good evening,

Can someone help me to understand something please? Are they saying that the role listed after the actor's/actress's name was their best performance? Or is it merely listed as an example of their work? So many of them just don't seem to make any sense. And any list that has Raquel Welch listed amongst the top 100 actresses of all time, regardless of the role she played (in this case it's in "Fantastic Voyage") has to me at least, some serious credibility issues!

As always,

Hollis
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Hollis--
I agree with you about Raquel Welch. Acting? When did she ever act?
And Demi Moore? Puhleeze.
But maybe I'm being harsh...
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Have some issues with the best actor/actress lists, but can't quibble too much with the movies. I might make a change or two in the order, but over all, they seem to have hit the highlights.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde