Angel and The Badman

movieman1957
Administrator

Angel and The Badman

Post by movieman1957 »

I think this is a terrific little western. Wayne, at his most charming self, is changed from outlaw type to pussycat by the lovely Gail Russell.

Not much action but fine example of two cultures clashing and what a little love can do. Wayne and Russell work very well together. Pretty good supporting cast, mainly Harry Carey and of the mother played by Irene Rich and the ever cynical doctor played by Tom Powers.

Fun film may contain the worst comb-over in the history of movies.

It's not a great film but most enjoyable and maybe the most underrated film in Wayne's catalogue.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I got this one on DVD in a small 6 film box set of JW's 1930's films, which I really like. This one with Gail Russell shows his female side, but a little too much to the left. Sure love can change a guy, but not quite as much as we are led to believe, and throwing the gun in the dirt at the end was a little too, too. Let's face it, he's been a gunslinger, and just because he wants to quit, doesn't mean others will let him do so that easily. A few may come along and test his endurance too far. I've had a little personal experience with changing ways, and there is always some fool who refuses to accept it when told, "I don't do that anymore", but anyway, it was a good movie and definitely a re-watch, more than once.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************