Scene it Before?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Scene it Before?

Post by mrsl »

How often have you seen Bogart light a cigarette and carefully put the match into an ashtray? Or better yet, when through with the cig, see him put IT in an ashtray instead of tossing it whether inside or outside of a building? That's one. How many actors have actions you know are coming whether or not they're politically correct? Like Kate Hepburn looking at something full face instead of scrolling her eyes to the side? :roll:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

Good topic Anne.

The other day I was watching "Strangers May Kiss" I believe, and Norma Shearer's character said something like "I am white, single and..." to reinforce the fact that she was free to do whatever she wanted; it sounds very politically incorrect and prejudiced today.

I also remember watching "Six of a Kind", I think it was, not sure really...and someone referred to African American people as the "darkies". Very derogative.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, how about our girl Natalie Wood? From Love With The Proper Stranger" on, she always pushed away the hair that fell over her eyes.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Feaito:

Movies from the beginning to just about the 80's were very derogatory towards people of many different ethnic backgrounds. Thank goodness we know better today and have corrected ourselves in most cases.

I have said before however, the term 'African American' ticks me off to no end. You are either African, or American. You are either Italian, or American. You are either Polish or American. You cannot be both. You may be American of Italian familial background and so on. Unless you were born in Africa and became an American citizen, you have no right to call yourself an African American, or any other nationality you choose. Just because your ancestors came from Australia, does not make you Australian. Because of the large influx of Europeans arriving here around the time of WWII, it was a familiar question in a group of kids to ask "What's your nationality?" Except for Vietnamese and Mexican, we have not had that much of transplanted people, and in both cases, it's pretty obvious where both are from. I think it was wonderful Whoopi Goldberg who said, "When I was a kid I was colored, then I became a Negro, then I was Black, now I'm an African American, I wonder what I'll be tomorrow."

You can always count on William Powell to stroke his mustache in every scene he's in.

Anne
Anne

ken123

Post by ken123 »

IMHO worrying about what people want to call themselves is so silly.It is the same " America, Love it or Leave It Attidute " that spang up in the 1960's and just as dumb.I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings, but it is just dumb. A frighftul war, 45 - 50 million without health insurance,and people worry about this. Don't let the powers that be hoodwink you with these phoney issues

At the time of WW1 Ex - President Teddy Roosevelt railed against "hyphenated Americans ", meaning the Germans and the Irish, who to one degree or another opposed America's entry into the war, when the real " bad guys " was the very imperialistic and racist Wilson administration. Please worry about important things like war, hate, will our children have the same quality of life as we did ? These other things is just - well I wont say it ! People have a " right " to call themselves anything that they want - its called " free speech ' !

So much for my high horse !
klondike

Post by klondike »

Ticklish issue, I'll admit; but I think Maya Angelou said it best:
"It matters less what you call me, than what I answer to."
Still, strikes me that disputing what people choose to call themselves is much the same position as telling someone that he/she has misspelt or mispronounced his/her own name.
If you're not free to identify your own self as you see fit to your fellow citizens . . what exactly do you have left, at all?!!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Ken:

Normally I would ignore this and walk away, but nobody here is more concerned about the kind of life my grandkids' generation will have more than I. I have posted many times about sweating the small stuff when we have Iraq and Iran to worry about. I am one of those Americans without insurance, I am one of those people living on less than $1200 a month, so apparently you have never read any of my previous posts. I never mentioned any 'powers that be' at all, I said it was something that ticked me off. In other words, it is a personal pet peeve of mine. I may not be the best one, but I am certainly a loyal American, and I get angry when someone tries to split his or her loyalties with a country they have never and probably will never see. Like the telephone, freedom of speech goes both ways, I also have a right to it.

Anne
Anne

ken123

Post by ken123 »

I am glad that we can all state own positions here at SSO, even on non - film topics. I hope that I didn't offend you .
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I understand Anne's position perfectly. The kind of sensible patriotism (not "ultra" anything) we were given in schools is passe now. I was not happy with some of the things that went on in my daughter's elementary school. An emphasis on "multi-culturalism" can be educational, and good for self-esteem, but they forgot to remind these children that they were American. In trying so hard not to exclude any immigrant group in NYC, the Board of Education decided to remedy the situation by not mentioning America at all. My daughter was never taught any American folk songs or American folk tales, etc. in school. It was all "country of origin" kind of stuff. Fine, but not the only story. It's typical of the public school system to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and in presenting one point of view, completely disregard any others.

I tried complaining, to no avail. I made the point that if these children were some day called upon to defend their country, they'd say "OK, but which one is my country?"