Cary - Make Up Your Mind!!!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Cary - Make Up Your Mind!!!

Post by klondike »

Oh that Archie Leech!!!
Last week he was all about graduating Yale in Night & Day, and yet today, the judge in My Favorite Wife is rebuking him for being "a Harvard man!" !
:roll:
Can't help but wonder: were there any movies for old CG (Cary, not Clark!) in which he mentioned being an alumnus of Princeton, or Dartmouth?
:roll: :roll:
This inquiring mind wants to know!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Not that I can remember and I've watched my fair share of Cary movies. He does fit that kind of role very well, strange because hs upbringing was so different.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I think you're totally wrong. In HIS GIRL FRIDAY and in TALK OF THE TOWN, Cary sneers at the college-educated folks.

Now - you can't SERIOUSLY think he actually went to Harvard OR Yale after that, can you?!!

Or are you just trying to confuse me (again) (still) (as always)?

And don't bring up his medical student days of PEOPLE WILL TALK where he sticks a finger into the mouth of a supposed-cadaver.

Besides, we all know the end result - he's going to leave neckties behind!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

what about at the other end of the scale as the working class cockney making good as a Sargeant in Gunga Din
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I still have to see Gunga Din and Talk Of the Town. I've never really given the background of his characters he plays much thought. I do know that my husband always makes the comment that he plays someone with money all the time. It's mostly true. I've never watched None But The Lonely Heart though.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think you are right. The only other one that immediately comes to mind is "Father Goose." There may be something from early on in his career but it is not obvious.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't know if you guys ever saw that 2 hour bio of Cary that was made late in his life, but in it, it states that he worked hard to rid himself of his lower class habits and speech patterns and swore never to return to them. Therefore the roles he took were of already accomplished men with nothing to prove. I believe None but the Lonely Heart was a tribute to his mother after he found her and she had passed away.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************