Well known Brit girls that get the odd chance to shine

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Well known Brit girls that get the odd chance to shine

Post by stuart.uk »

I hope Americans on the forum don't mind this, but i can think of a few actresses, well known in the UK, who every so often get a chance of a wider audience in international movies

a favourite of mine is Barbara Flynn who starred in acclaimed tv work like A Family At War, Open All Hours as a milkwoman the object of errand boy David Jason's affections, my own fav The Beiderbreck series with James Bollam and the UK version of Cracker with Robbie Coltrane. however, it's only recently in middle age she's been seen by an American audience in Miss. Potter, playing the heroine's mother and brilliant she was too

supporting Pauline Collins in Shirley Valentine were Joanna Lumley, Alison Steadman, Sylvia Syms and Julia McKenzie

in John Hurts Champions you had Jan Francis, Alison Steadman, Caroline Pickles, Anne Bell and Judy Parfit

Penelope Wilton played the female lead in Cry Freedom with Kevin Kline. Wilton appeared with Steadman in Clockwise with John Cleese. then again Wilton was one of The Calander Girls. apart from the big two others involved were WI leader Geraldine 'Ghandi'James, Annette Crosbie and the brilliant Celia Imrie

Some of Alfie's conquests were international stars, but also included Jane Asher and Julia Foster

in The Eagle Has Landed you had Judy Geeson, Jenny Agguter and as a Nazi spy Jean 'Upstairs Downstairs' Marsh

Maureen Lipman as Tish in Educating Rita. Maureen for a while played Joyce Grenfel on stage. Joyce though known for her St Trinian movies also played Ingrid Bergmen's side kick in The Yellow Rolls Royce

Muriel Pavlow was only known for two roles. Thelma Bader in Reach For The Sky and Nurse Joy in two Dirk Bogarde 'Doctors' films

Diane Keen played oppisite John Thaw in the movie The Sweeney
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Unfortunately most British girls don't become too well known here unless they have some sort of cutesy, or sexy aura about them. The girls from To Sir With Love - Judy Geeson, Lulu, were cute little things, and of course because of Goldfinger Shirley Eaton had her 15 minutes of fame. There have been more, but unless they stay here in H'wood and plug away, they are forgotten quite quickly.

Because I like the dry English humor in most British movies, I know many of the ones you named, but not by sight, I still have to look at the ending credits for names.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I usually think region-encoding's primary effect is to strip huge geographical sections of the globe of accessing more entertainment, and these actresses are part of those losses. I'm not sure there's any benefit to this design at all.

And that's not even listing the Tushinghams or Agutters.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison Steadman has become a favorite of mine. She was great in Shirley Valentine which is one of my top 25 movies. Our PBS Station is currently featuring movies from the works of Jane Austen, and she is Mrs. Bennet in "Pride and Prejudice" Her performance is like nails on a blackboard, but I think that is exactly how Miss Austen intended her to be portrayed. Wonderful actress!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne-Lulu has ben a major star in the UK for over 40-yrs and if anything is more attractive in her 50s than she was when she was youngershe even replaced Julie Walters in The Diary Of Adrain Mole

Shirley Eaton played the female lead in the first two Carry-Ons Sargeant and Nurse. she did the pilot for The Saint and i've just ordered an early film of hers The Love Match

Nancy-Alison Steadman i think is a fantastic actress
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

What you said proves my point exactly. They went home to England and are basically forgotten here. Also, as I said, I know some of the ladies you mentioned, but not all, and very few people here know anything at all about any of them.

Anne
Anne

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

i think Catherine Zeta Jones maybe a case in point. she had success in tvs The Darling Buds Of May in the Debbie Reyolds role, but she was still unknown in the U.S. she gambled everything on making it big in America. it took a while but she made it

folk like Cliff Richard and Morcambe And Wise were all ready huge stars in Britain. they didn't need to start at the bottom again

there was an irish actress Brenda Fricker, who made her name here in medical drama Casualty. then she got great international acclaim as the mother in My Left Foot. however, once that was done, she did one more series of Casualty and has made special guest appearences in the show since

on the other side of the scale American's Steve Forrest (The Baron) Richard Bradford (Man In A Suitcase) Stuart Damon (The Champions) Lee Remick (Jenny; Lady Randolph Churchill) Robert Vaughan (The Protectors)Tony Curtis (The Persuaders)Elaine Strich (Two's Company) Ed Bishop (Captain Scarlett and UFO) and in the acclaimed war series Colditz Robert Wagner all came over to the U.K with the plan to enhance their careers in Brit shows
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

You see all those people you named, when they went over to Britain, they were all but forgotten here because those shows were not available here to keep the names alive. It's a little different now with the BBC/America channel now, but until that came along we had nothing except an occasional PBS British series, like Upstairs/Downstairs. Since Robert Wagner was one of my teenage idols, if I had the opportunity, I would have tried to see his TV show, but as it was, I thought he was just in retirement.

Anne
Anne

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Colditz was a 70s drama series made when RJ was only in his early 40s. he played an American RAF officer. the other big name in it was David Mcallum. among the Brits were Jack Hedley as the senior Brit officer, Edward 'Son of Cedric' Hardwyck as the escape office until he got away when DM took over the post. Bernard Hepton was camp chief and Anthony Valentine a German officer with Nazi leanings

there was also the film The Colditz Story with John Mills in the Hardwyck role and Eric Portman in Hedley's
melwalton

Brit girls

Post by melwalton »

Hi, Stu.

True enough, we don't get to see a lot of British girls here but we do get to see some.I saw Barbara Flynn in a detective story and in a gem of a tv show called 'Season's Greetings' with Peter Vaughn; Anna Massey, Jeofrey ( I'm not spelling that right ) Palmer, and Nicky Henson.
I saw Caroline Pickles ( only once ) in an episode of Christie's 'Poirot'.
Judy Geeson was shown here in a film that's been shown more than once. I forgot the title, Richard Attenborough played a murderer, Title had a street address. She was in another where Sidney Poitier played a school teacher.
One of Cyril Cusack's daughters ( Irish name, could be Sinead ) was shown here in a tv show played a blind girl. Peter Vaughn played an assassin.
Only a few but so good.
Sorry, I don't recall what channel I saw these on ( probably PBS ).
I liked Frances Low. She played in a 'poirot' show.
.... mel