Eve Golden on Jean Harlow, Theda Bara, The Castles & More

Past chats with our guests.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Miss Golden,

:oops: Whoops, I am sorry! I thought that you had written a book on Pola Negri! OK, could you perhaps tell us who some of your favorite Silent Stars and films are. Those indispensible titles that come to mind?

Apparently, you have written on Clara Bow, who was another great Paramount Star of course. Apart from the obvious, is there a particular film of hers that stands out in your mind? Have you seen CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927), also with Gary Cooper, and Esther Ralston perhaps? And if so, what might you be able to tell us about it?

Again, sorry to have mis-understood! I look forward to reading all the fascinating books that you have authored certainly!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Your book on Theda Bara is not only well written but it is absolutely packed with lovely pictures of her. As someone who looks at the print type and pictures before buying anything from a bookshop I often wonder why more authors don't put as many pictures in to illustrate their work. Is it a cost issue?

The other thing to note about the pictures of Theda are that in some she is so beautiful but there is a picture in the book of a Liberty Bond rally that doesn't flatter her face at all. You've included both, it warms the soul to know that perhaps all of us have a little bit of film star in us :lol:

I also remember reading your Silent Stars book when I started getting interested about silent stars. I never knew about Max Linder's tragic end until I read your book. You got to interview Maud Linder. Did she ever give you any reason as to why he would end his life like that?
egolden

Post by egolden »

Gagman 66 wrote:Dear Miss Golden,

:D Thank you so much for gracing this board with your presence here! As you have written a book on Pola Negri I am quite sure that unlike the vast majority of us, you have seen Ernst Lubitsch FORBIDDEN PARADISE (1924).!
Sorry--I have not written a Pola Negri book, as much as I like her. I understand there is someone on the Board who has been researching her, though, and I urge them to do a Pola book!
egolden

Post by egolden »

mrsl wrote:Miss Golden:

As I stated before, I am not much of a non-fiction reader, nor am I well versed in silent movies. I know many names, and some of the bigger stars, but not well, but even with all of that, I have to write and say that you have been one of the most entertaining, funny, and informative guests we have had.

Anne
[blushes prettily, once again]
egolden

Post by egolden »

Gagman 66 wrote:Miss Golden,

:oops: Whoops, I am sorry! I thought that you had written a book on Pola Negri! OK, could you perhaps tell us who some of your favorite Silent Stars and films are. Those indispensible titles that come to mind?

Apparently, you have written on Clara Bow, who was another great Paramount Star of course. Apart from the obvious, is there a particular film of hers that stands out in your mind? Have you seen CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927), also with Gary Cooper, and Esther Ralston perhaps? And if so, what might you be able to tell us about it?

Again, sorry to have mis-understood! I look forward to reading all the fascinating books that you have authored certainly!
No prob! I did a Classic Images article on Clara (whom I adore--who doesn't?), which was included in my Golden Images collection. I have never seen Children of Divorce, though I would love to. It is one of my favoerite films (I'm also a Tony Moreno fan), and Dancing Mothers was terrific (I won't give away the ending, but it is modern and startling). Clara is wonderful in Mantrap, though the film as a whole drags sometimes, and both Helen's Babies (with Edward Everett Horton as the romantic lead!!) and My Lady of Whims are cute. Of her talkies, of course, Call Her Savage is a must-see.
egolden

Post by egolden »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Your book on Theda Bara is not only well written but it is absolutely packed with lovely pictures of her. As someone who looks at the print type and pictures before buying anything from a bookshop I often wonder why more authors don't put as many pictures in to illustrate their work. Is it a cost issue?

The other thing to note about the pictures of Theda are that in some she is so beautiful but there is a picture in the book of a Liberty Bond rally that doesn't flatter her face at all. You've included both, it warms the soul to know that perhaps all of us have a little bit of film star in us :lol:

I also remember reading your Silent Stars book when I started getting interested about silent stars. I never knew about Max Linder's tragic end until I read your book. You got to interview Maud Linder. Did she ever give you any reason as to why he would end his life like that?

$$$! It costs a fortune to get photo publication rights, and the publisher never pays. I think photos are very important in nonfiction, and it annoys me no end when I find an otherwise interesting book with a lack of photos. My biggest expense for any book is photos--I like to have at least 60 (publishers usually whine, as coated-stock paper is also very expensive). Much of the fun for me is photo research, hunting down just the right ones, not only of the subject, but of other characters in the book (for the Castles, their manager, music arranger, sheet music, contemporary newspaper cartoons of them, their rivals, etc.). I figure even if people don't like my writing, they will like the photos!

There was one photo of Irene Castle and Clifton Webb dancing, ca. mid-1930s. The stock photo house wanted $800 for it! I told them, "for $800, I expect Irene Castle and Clifton Webb to come back from the grave and blow me." [Am I allowed to say that?]

Theda Bara was not a classic beauty, by any means. She had a heavy jaw, and smiling made it stick out more. I like the fact that Theda--like Sarah Jessica Parker--is an unattractive woman who became a sex symbol! There's hope for all of us.

Well, all of us under 40, anyway.

Maud Linder says she has no idea why her father killed himself and has no desire to investigate that. I wonder how enthusiastic his very young wife was in the "suicide pact" . . . I recommend Maud Linder's documentary The Man in the Silk Hat--it was released on video; I don't know if it's on DVD. Great clips of Max, with English-language narration by Maud.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Eve!
Thanks so much for returning for another day.

A bit of a search confirmed that The Man in the Silk Hat (1983) appears to be readily (and affordably) available on vhs, but I have yet to discover a dvd of this film.

I must tell you that I was not particularly enamored of Jean Harlow before your biography of the actress, but found that the person who emerged from your book, Platinum Girl, made me smile. By the time I'd come to the end, she broke my heart a bit--she had become good company too!

Prior to reading your book, however, I was delighted by the Hollywood parody of Bombshell (1933), and especially the performances of Harlow and Lee Tracy. It was interesting to read in your book that Mr. Tracy thought that Jean Harlow's sense of comedy and her timing were praiseworthy. As most of us undoubtedly know, Tracy's career was blighted by his *ahem* overindulgence and subsequent lack of inhibitions while on location in Mexico for Viva Villa (1934). Yet, thanks to TCM, his rediscovered films from the early '30s have sparked renewed interest in him, as did his deftly acted ailing Prez in his last screen role in The Best Man (1964).

When you were researching Platinum Girl, were you able to find much info on the talented Lee Tracy, one of the few actors from that period who spoke his lines faster than James Cagney?

Thank you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
egolden

Post by egolden »

moirafinnie wrote:When you were researching Platinum Girl, were you able to find much info on the talented Lee Tracy, one of the few actors from that period who spoke his lines faster than James Cagney?

Thank you.
Lee Tracy was wonderful, wasn't he? I'm from Missouri (well, not really, but you know what I mean)--till I see some confirmation or first hand account of Lee Tracy's kickings-up on Viva Villa, I will raise one eyebrow and say hmmmm. I never believe anything till I see some kind of proof.

One reason he never became a star may be that he just wasn't handsome enough (though Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart may put the lie to that). At least he had a good 30-year film career, unlike poor Robert Williams.
Alan K.

Lee Tracy and proof of his, um, excesses

Post by Alan K. »

I'm from Missouri (well, not really, but you know what I mean)--till I see some confirmation or first hand account of Lee Tracy's kickings-up on Viva Villa, I will raise one eyebrow and say hmmmm. I never believe anything till I see some kind of proof.

Hi Eve:

I have come across the Lee Tracy story concerning his impromptu "relief" and subsequent removal from the location shoot of Viva Villa on several occasions. I appreciate your healthy skepticism about a Tinseltown fable that has been repeated so many times that it now takes on the air of permanent truth in certain quarters. This type of story is reminiscent about some of the personal gossip that has been written ad nauseum about Barbara Stanwyck, Cary Grant and Agnes Moorehead among many others that is not only largely irrelevant, but also, IMHO, untrue. There is certainly a distinct difference between repeating a story from an old timer to round out a portrayal instead of printing it as an irrefutable fact. Glad to see you make the distinction.

Concerning the photos for non-fiction books about vintage film; I couldn't agree with you more.

In addition to the cost issue, there is also the mostly fictional problem of release rights with book publishers for vintage movie stills up into the late 1960's. Most of these photos were never copyrighted, constituted piecework jobs by phototogs for the studios and are covered by fair use. Unfortunately, the byzantine details of copyright law are not generally known to publishers (or anyone else), so the writer frequently has to cope with publisher requests to obtain releases for photos that are in the public domain.

Alan
"First is First and second is nobody"
charliechaplinfan

As an biographer and a fan of classic movies do you have a library of film books to dip into or is it a bit like a busman's holiday (I don't know wether this is a recognised phrase in the States) but put simply, do you own and read books for leisure when you work on them for a living?

I like your reference to the Irene Castle and Clifton Webb picture :lol: .
charliechaplinfan

I'm back again. Do your books on Jean Harlow and Kay Kendall have as many pictures? I love the Theda book all the more for the pictures.

I don't know a great deal about Kay Kendall I know she died tragically young of leukemia and was married to Rex Harrison. I also heard she was the only woman he really loved. On this I am a little sceptical because I know little about Rex either and I am cynical that 'they' would say that wouldn't they because it makes her death even more sad.

I know I've liked her in the two films I've seen her in Genevieve and Les Girls. She is marvellous in Les Girls, the most memorable of the girls. When you were researching the book did you find out much information regarding the film. I know it was made towards the end of Kelly's dancing career (it's one of his best movies) Did Kay enjoy making the movie? Was it a happy shoot? When I'm not masquerading as a Chaplin fan I'm a big Gene Kelly fan. I find it hard to get a feel for the man behind the star. Leslie Caron thinks he was wonderful and so supportive, Debbie Reynolds tells a different story. I'd like to believe he was a team player and good tutor. can you shed any light on it from your research?

Thanks again Eve :)
egolden

Post by egolden »

charliechaplinfan wrote:As an biographer and a fan of classic movies do you have a library of film books to dip into or is it a bit like a busman's holiday (I don't know wether this is a recognised phrase in the States) but put simply, do you own and read books for leisure when you work on them for a living?

I like your reference to the Irene Castle and Clifton Webb picture :lol: .
I have way too many books on old movies and theater, and I do indeed browse through them for my own pleasure as well as for "work." Darn bookfinder.com! I have found more books I didn't even know existed, and even I cannot justify all the money I spend on them.
egolden

Post by egolden »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'm back again. Do your books on Jean Harlow and Kay Kendall have as many pictures? I love the Theda book all the more for the pictures.

. . . I also heard she was the only woman he really loved . . .

. . . When you were researching the book did you find out much information regarding the film. I know it was made towards the end of Kelly's dancing career (it's one of his best movies) Did Kay enjoy making the movie? Was it a happy shoot?

Thanks again Eve :)
The Harlow, Bara and Golden Images books have photos scattered throughout; the Held, Kendall and Castles books have one or two photo-insert sections. My current press is very good about letting me put in all the photos I want.

Rex Harrison never loved anyone but himself. The only person I could find to say one kind word about him was Carol Matthau--even his sons threw up their hands when it comes to him.

Les Girls was indeed a happy shoot for Kay, though she was scared to death being surrounded by professional dancers. She loved being a "moooovie star," Gene Kelly and George Cukor adored her (though she towered over Gene Kelly, which he resented--notice the flats she often wears in the movie!), and choreographer Jack Cole was great at making non-dancers look like dancers.

Taina Elg (very nice lady) told me she and Kay used to pal around at lunchtime, have champagne and order in food, while Mitzi Gaynor turned her nose up at them and nibbled on carrots and celery.
egolden

Re: Lee Tracy and proof of his, um, excesses

Post by egolden »

Hi Eve:

I have come across the Lee Tracy story concerning his impromptu "relief" and subsequent removal from the location shoot of Viva Villa on several occasions. I appreciate your healthy skepticism about a Tinseltown fable that has been repeated so many times that it now takes on the air of permanent truth in certain quarters.
Alan
Of course, it may very well have happened--the incident didn't have any bearing on my book, so I didn't investigate it further.
Moraldo Rubini

Tangents

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

egolden wrote:Rex Harrison never loved anyone but himself. The only person I could find to say one kind word about him was Carol Matthau--even his sons threw up their hands when it comes to him.
I'm glad you brought up Carol Matthau! I'd heard that she was Truman Capote's basis for Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany. Can you confirm?