Eve Golden on Jean Harlow, Theda Bara, The Castles & More

Past chats with our guests.
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

egolden wrote:Rex Harrison never loved anyone but himself. The only person I could find to say one kind word about him was Carol Matthau--even his sons threw up their hands when it comes to him.
Hi Ms Golden! I want to tell you that I am really interested by your bio of Kay Kendall. She was such a lovely comedian. I have seen her in Les Girls, Genevieve, The Constant Husband, Quentin Durward and The Reluctant Debutant. Les Girls is one of my favourite Cukor. When your book came out, the NFT in London had a short season of Kendall films. I managed to see again Les Girls on a big screen: it was a huge pleasure. 8)

Regarding Rex Harrison, I know full well he has a pretty bad reputation after reading many books about him. But, you should read the (excellent) autobiography of Lilli Palmer, his second wife. Overall, she draws a very balanced portrait of the man. Sure, he cheated on her, but, she still has some regards for him as a man and actor. They both struggled through the war years in London and he was a supportive husband. After reading Lilli's book, I realised there was more to Rex than just the 'Bluebeard' reputation he had. :wink:
egolden

Re: Tangents

Post by egolden »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:I'm glad you brought up Carol Matthau! I'd heard that she was Truman Capote's basis for Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany. Can you confirm?
I think she was based partly on Carol Matthau and partly on others--of course, everyone ever met Truman Caopote claims she was Holly Golightly!
egolden

Post by egolden »

Ann Harding wrote:Regarding Rex Harrison, I know full well he has a pretty bad reputation after reading many books about him. But, you should read the (excellent) autobiography of Lilli Palmer, his second wife. Overall, she draws a very balanced portrait of the man. Sure, he cheated on her, but, she still has some regards for him as a man and actor. They both struggled through the war years in London and he was a supportive husband. After reading Lilli's book, I realised there was more to Rex than just the 'Bluebeard' reputation he had. :wink:
I did use Lili Palmer's memoirs as a source, and I bent over backwards to be fair to Rex Harrison, which wasn't easy, as everyone had terrible things to say about him. Funny story: Rex and Lilli's son, Carey, told me, "My mother was always complaining about what a homewrecker Kay Kendall was, stealing a married man away from his wife. Well, how do you think my mother got Rex away from his first wife?"
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

You're right, Eve! :lol: Though I think Lilli's own views of her former husband are certainly colored by her own life story. She was a German refugee in England when she marrie Rex. She must have been extremely grateful to him for giving her a chance to be somebody again in the UK, i.e. to get British citizenship. I like Lilli. She was tough lady.

I'll have to get that Kay Kendall book. 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Ms. Golden's Thread

Post by moira finnie »

Re: Ms. Golden's Thread

Our guest Eve Golden has generously offered to leave her thread open between her two "official appearances" with us this past weekend and this upcoming weekend (3/8 & 3/9). As her schedule permits, Eve will be dropping by to answer our questions throughout the week. Needless to say, we're delighted to have her and want her to know how appreciative we are of her free-spirited and well-informed replies.

Thank you again, Eve!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

egolden wrote:

I have way too many books on old movies and theater, and I do indeed browse through them for my own pleasure as well as for "work." Darn bookfinder.com! I have found more books I didn't even know existed, and even I cannot justify all the money I spend on them.
You aren't alone on that one believe me. It's not only the money but where to put them all.

'Rex Harrison never loved anyone but himself. The only person I could find to say one kind word about him was Carol Matthau--even his sons threw up their hands when it comes to him'.

He is always referred to by the British press as Sexy Rexy. Why because he was married a few times? I've loved some of his films though.

You mentioned Anita Page, bless her. Why isn't her name better remembered? She made some good films and had a sparkling character. Where her memories confined to your subjects or did she open up about her time in Hollywood. Did she talk of working with Buster Keaton and Joan Crawford and being around when silents turned to talkies?

Thanks again Eve. You have been so interesting and you completely feel like one of us. Only you have more interesting stories :D

I too will have to get the book on Kay Kendall........I've just looked on Amazon and the synopsis told me something I didn't know, that Kay didn't know about her diagnosis but Rex did and kept it secret from her. Surely he did this to protect her? Perhaps there is a little teeny weeny bit of him that was nice?
egolden

Post by egolden »

charliechaplinfan wrote:He is always referred to by the British press as Sexy Rexy. Why because he was married a few times? I've loved some of his films though.

You mentioned Anita Page, bless her. Why isn't her name better remembered? She made some good films and had a sparkling character. Where her memories confined to your subjects or did she open up about her time in Hollywood. Did she talk of working with Buster Keaton and Joan Crawford and being around when silents turned to talkies?

Thanks again Eve. You have been so interesting and you completely feel like one of us. Only you have more interesting stories :D

I too will have to get the book on Kay Kendall........I've just looked on Amazon and the synopsis told me something I didn't know, that Kay didn't know about her diagnosis but Rex did and kept it secret from her. Surely he did this to protect her? Perhaps there is a little teeny weeny bit of him that was nice?
Amazon said Kay didn't know about her diagnosis? Those idiots--one of the points I make in my book is that of course she knew--you can't have leukemia for two years and not know it! By the way, Kay used to tease Rex mercilessly: "Sexy Rexy! Who said you were sexy, you long-nosed British ham!?"

As for Anita . . . I hate to plug my own book (she said, digging her toe shyly in the dirt), but I have an extended interview with Anita in Golden Images.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

egolden wrote:
As for Anita . . . I hate to plug my own book (she said, digging her toe shyly in the dirt), but I have an extended interview with Anita in Golden Images.
Go ahead and plug. If you can't plug with new found friends well..... (shucks)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Here's the link Eve so you can see for yourself. It makes Rex sound lovely

The Brief, Madcap Life of Kay Kendall

also there is this on Alibris.co.uk

http://tinyurl.com/yrmlgw
I hope it's of help.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi again, Eve.

What recourse, if any, do you have when some one at Amazon makes such a huge error? I remember hearing that story about Harrison's running interference for his wife, but it sounds like it was just another Hollywood myth.

I know the stories of Roscoe Arbuckle's acquittal were run on the back pages of most papers, especially those controlled by W.R. Hearst. Most people never read about the acquittal, and therefore the myth continues.

I hope you give the Amazon people a good, loud chewing! (We folks here at SSO are pretty loyal to our friends, and we all feel like you are our newest friend!)
Nancy
egolden

Post by egolden »

knitwit45 wrote:Hi again, Eve.

What recourse, if any, do you have when some one at Amazon makes such a huge error? I remember hearing that story about Harrison's running interference for his wife, but it sounds like it was just another Hollywood myth.

Nancy
Oh, well, I figure if people are at all interested in Kay Kendall or Rex Harrison, they'll buy the book--and then find out the straight dope.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Eve,
Thanks for coming back to the SSO playhouse again!

To anyone considering purchasing one of Ms. Golden's books: not only are they chock full of wonderfully reproduced pictures, but the text and the captions are rife with Eve's amusing asides as well. They're worth every penny for the entertainment and the information value they provide! BTW, I'd no idea that the author of nonfiction books was stuck with vetting and paying for the copyrights for photos. Now I'm even more grateful for the voluminous pics in your books.

Though I can't afford to buy all your books, do you think it helps if one asks book stores if they have your books in stock--and if not, why not? :wink:

1.) I was wondering if you could please talk a bit about one of the more interesting aspects of Kay Kendall's early life, the wartime events living through the Blitz in London and the subsequent effect, if any, that this may have had on her approach to life?

2.) Why do you think that Stanley Donen's Once More With Feeling (1960) is a relatively little known movie, despite the fact that, for all its flaws, it's a highly entertaining showcase for Kay Kendall's charm?

I just loved her throughout the film, though I felt that Yul Brynner's character, (unrepentent, dazzling bounder that he was), wears out his welcome about half way through the movie.

I'm so glad to read that Kendall had fun on Les Girls. I thought she stole the movie, lock, stock and hidden hip flask from everyone else, even Gene Kelly.

Regarding Rex Harrison: he must've had something more than simply attitude and a terrific theatrical talent to appeal to both Lilli Palmer and Kay Kendall.

3.)One question about Lilli Palmer & Kay Kendall, please, based on reading Lilli's autobiography, Change Lobsters and Dance. Did Lilli Palmer, who was well aware of Harrison's involvement with Kay Kendall while they were still married, really beseech him to marry the girl once Miss Palmer became aware of Kendall's leukemia?

Thank you so much.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

What good questions about Kay Kendall, Moira Finnie. I would slightly disagree with you about Les Girls and Gene Kelly. Noone can steal a film from Gene Kelly(big fan) but Kay Kendall was his equal, I will say that. Of all the girls she was by far the most memorable.

I reread Silent Images about Anita Page. She sounds such a lovely person. Full of memories. I like the bit when she said that she wasn't married to her first husband because they didn't have a Catholic service. Have I understood that correctly? It made me smile :)

What she said about Mayer was spooky.'I can destroy Garbo in three movies, I'll never move a finger to help you again' He never did and her career suffered.

Following on from that do you have any opinion about Mayer destroying John Gilbert's career. I can see that he probably had the power to do it but would he have, Gilbert made a lot of money for the studio?

We keep mentioning Roscoe Arbuckle, do you think he was hung out to dry not just by the San Francisco attorney but by Zukor too?

Does all the research you do make you more cynical about aspects of the golden days of cinema? ie. are you more likely to believe the other two happened based on the knowledge you have gained or more likely to dismiss them as having a touch of the 'Hollywood Babylon'? (sorry to mention that bit of typing, again)

Thanks again, I hope you're enjoying it here. We're enjoying talking to you and reading your responses :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I would slightly disagree with you about Les Girls and Gene Kelly. Noone can steal a film from Gene Kelly(big fan) but Kay Kendall was his equal, I will say that. Of all the girls she was by far the most memorable.

Hi CCfan,
While few sights give me more joy than seeing Gene Kelly dance, I thought he was a bit muted in the film Les Girls (1957). I believe that he was beginning to slow down physically, (no one, alas, can dance forever, and Gene was 45), he was going through a painful divorce at the time of the film, he was working with an essentially non-musical director George Cukor* for the first time, and contending with the myriad studio changes occurring at MGM and the Freed unit that had helped Kelly create his artistry on screen. Just not entirely himself, though he looked as though he was having a hard time keeping from bursting out laughing during several of his scenes with Kay Kendall, even if he was vexed by her height. She just shone in this movie like no one else, at least for me.

* Maybe I'm crazy to say this, but I wouldn't count A Star Is Born (1954)as a musical exactly, though it had lots of songs.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

There is a difference between A Star Is Born and Les Girls. I know what you mean. A Star Is Born did not require the same amount of choreography.

I also understand what you are saying regarding Gene Kelly and I agree. It was his last great film as a dancer. I should have qualified it by saying for me no one can outshine Gene Kelly in a musical. Even Kay Kendall and she was fabulous. He is slowing down but he still exudes the optimism and enjoyment of his craft that I love from watching his early films to this later one.

When I'm not masquerading as a Chaplin fan or Keaton fan, I'm a Gene Kelly fan. I don't know if there's a link :lol: