most handsome/beautiful face in movies

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

most handsome/beautiful face in movies

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope nobody minds my starting a thread. I hope I've put it in the right place.

Beauty is meant to be in the eye of the beholder and we can't all like the same stars or else there wouldn't have been as many. Just based on looks who do you think is the most handsome or most beautiful star.

Mine are

CARY GRANT

and

CATHERINE DENEUVE.

They're both talented too. Sometimes life isn't fair :lol:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are as welcome as anyone to start a topic. This is as good a place as any.

Hedy Lamarr gets my vote as the most beautiful. Grant is as good as any man but for what it is worth the best dressed man in movies was William Powell.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

"Lamarrvellous" was truly one of the great beauties and one of my favorites too. Liz Taylor, Gene Tierney and Grace Kelly also had that kind of beauty that could launch a thousand ships. Awesome faces!
melwalton

beautiful actors

Post by melwalton »

Charlie.
You ask 100 people, you'll get 101 different answers. I'll vote for Dorothy Lee. ( when she was a blond ).
Some others ( not just pretty but stunners ) Cecelia Parker, Arlene ( wotta ) Dahl. Phyllis Calvert, Linda Darnell ( you had to see her in 3D, she didn't look quite as good otherwise. )
This topic would make a good 10/20 list of favorites game.
of the men; Robert Webber, Monte Marlham, ..... mel
Last edited by melwalton on March 7th, 2008, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
melwalton

dress

Post by melwalton »

Chris
Yes, Powell wore clothes very well. Another meticulous dresser was Joe E. Brown in his mid 30s movies. I think. they all had the clothes, it was just a matter of how they were worn Powell was very neat and precise, even when pouring a drink or lighting a cigarette. .... mel
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Cary Grant and Greer Garson (especially as she appeared in "Random Harvest") But this is why we have vanilla and chocolate!

As always,

Hollis
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I've always favored the brunette ladies. I guess I've always thought that Linda Darnell was the most beautiful, and I also like Dorothy Dandridge, Wanda Hendrix and Debra Paget. I also admired Dana Wynter, and Jane Wyatt (I thought they had very similar looks). And I think that Shirley Temple grew into a very beautiful woman.

As for the men - I've always thought of them in two categories: the beautiful and the rugged. Some, IMO, bridge both categories. I've always thought that Jeffrey Hunter was the most beautiful man in Hollywood, but he could play rugged as well. Same goes for Gary Cooper, who went from beautiful to beautifully rugged. Although I generally don't like the big-faced, cleft chin look, on Cary Grant it looks great. I think Robert Taylor was quite beautiful in his youth, as were Henry Fonda and Tyrone Power.

On the rugged, manly side, I'd pick Clark Gable first, as one who bridged both categories; also Spencer Tracy, and James Cagney. These are actors whose maleness gave their screen images great heft. On the hunky but not necessarily beautiful side I'd put Joel Mccrea, Johnny Weissmuller, John Wayne, and some of the other cowboys, like Jim Davis and Fess Parker.

Of course there are many, many more, but these were the first that came to mind.
movieman

Post by movieman »

Here's my list of most beautiful women:

The classic:

Ann-Margret
Catherine Deneuve
Ava Gardner
Gene Tierney
Jocelyn Lane
Jane Greer
Hedy Lamarr
Debra Paget
Jean Simmons
Jennifer Jones
Jill St. John
Jeanne Crain
Carol Lynley
Joan Hackett
Stefanie Powers
Paulette Goddard
Madeleine Carroll
Daliah Lavi

1970's onwards:

Ornella Muti
Agostina Belli
Susan Dey
Ilary Blasi

There's no use making the list any longer. There are too many beauties to choose from.
But, I guess Joan Hackett won't make the list of many. She's a personal favorite. She's no beauty among the classic streamlined ideals, but beauty is a matter of personal taste, like many other things in life.

If I have to throw in a couple of guys, they are:

Elvis Presley
Jeffrey Hunter

Even B
Last edited by movieman on March 7th, 2008, 1:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Top Ten Beautiful Actresses:

1. Sophia Loren
2. Sophia Loren
3. Sophia Loren
4-10. Everyone else

Actors (in no particular order): Cary Grant, Jeff Chandler, John Cassavetes, Steve McQueen, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., John Barrymore (though I'd rather watch Lionel), Montgomery Clift
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I no special order Maureen O' Hara, Linda Darnell, Dorothy Lamour, Ann Sheridan, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Bennett, Paulette Goddard,Ella Raines,Ina Balin,Marsha Hunt, and a whole lot more ! :wink:
melwalton

beauties

Post by melwalton »

I overlooked Odile Versois, Laura La Plante and Julie Summers. I'm getting old, I guess.
Hildy Parks was as pretty as anyone but I'm not sure she played in any movies, She was on TV with the Phil Silvers show. .... mel
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And as to Actors, I forgot: Robert Ryan and (at the risk of being called a "kid") Johnny Depp.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

A picture says a thousand words:

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr. A:

So, who is she? She kind of looks like a blond Natalie Wood.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Catherine Deneuve