Dickie Lord Attenbourgh

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Dickie Lord Attenbourgh

Post by stuart.uk »

a great icon of The British Film Industry, first as an actor, then as a Director. he is also the voice of Bafta anually handing out the life achievements awards.

as a young man in played the gutless sailor, who redeems himself in In Which We Serve. he made what many consider his best film Brighton Rock, playing a baby faced, but vicious gangster.

Though i think John Mills was the British Film Industrys greatest actor, i thought Dickie stole the film from him and other co-star in the moving Dunkirk, where he played at first a reluctant civilian, who lifts British troops of the French beach in Dunkirk in his small boat

he teamed with Ian Charmichael for Private's Progress and its sequel I'm Alright Jack. he was also in The League Of Gentlemen with Jack Hawkins

In The Angry Silence, he plays a factory worker, who becomes a pawb between managment and Bernard Lee's trade union, refusing to strike after he's threatened by Lee and becoming the victim of abuse from his fellow workers. also in the film was Michael Craig and as a villain Brian Bedford

Dickie played what i think was the only factual character in The Great Escape, though the surmane of Roger's Big X was changed for the film

There was also The Flight Of The Pheonix with James Stewart. he was also the big name British actor teamed with John Wayne in Brit cop movie Branigan

As a Director he did Oh What A Lovely War, Young Winston, A Bridge To Far, Ghandi, Chaplin and Shadowlands

Dickie returned to acting for Elizabeth with Cate Blanchett and Jurassic Park.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I actually enjoy his brother's work more. (No disrespect intended.) Some of those documentaries David does are the most amazing things. He loves it too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

It's been a while since I've seen "Oh, What a Lovely War!" but I would like to see it again. It was interesting, and I'd like to see it on a big screen instead of a movie screen pulled down in a chemistry lab, which is how i saw it the first time.

"A Bridge too Far" is very well done.

Attenborogh also gives a fine performance as the weak husband in "Seance on a Wet Afternoon," which is a very unsettling movie.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

That's fair enough. David Attenbourgh's the best there is in his own field with The Blue Planet one of his latest works, exploring the depths of the sea.