JUPITERS' DARLING

mrsl

JUPITERS' DARLING

Post by mrsl »

Big favorite of mine because this is one of the films I saw with Auntie when I was about 9 or 10. Lots of reasons for liking it. The songs are all jumpy and fun, the color is all over the place between the ladies outfits, the scenery, and even the underwater shots.

The main thing is, not only do you get Esther Williams with her beauty and wonderful swimming excursions, you also get to hear and see (sigh) Howard Keel in Roman shorty toga (blue ribbon on that). Best of all is although I like Fred and Gene and all of their partners, none of them compare to Marge and Gower when it comes to synchronization. Their up tempo numbers are always cute and bouncy (he tosses her around like a pillow), but their slow numbers are so gorgeous and dreamlike, they look like each is an extension of the other.

In addition, I would swear that George Sanders broke out in laughter after each of his scenes - he was absolutely ridiculous with his excessive posturing and making fun of himself. None of the actors in this movie are taking it seriously.

The movie itself starts out by saying "If you have questions about Hannibal and his travels, this movie will not help you", and it definitely doesn't. You shouldn't expect great acting or a great story in this, you'll find neither, but you will hear fine music, laugh a lot, see great dancing and swimming and should thoroughly have fun for one hour and 44 minutes.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************