The Lusty Men (1952) Nick Ray

Ann Harding

The Lusty Men (1952) Nick Ray

Post by Ann Harding »

This wonderful Nick Ray picture is not at all a standard western, but as it takes place in the world of rodeo cowboys, it certainly belong to some extent to this thread. I discovered this film years ago on a big screen. I revisited it yesterday. It proved as powerful as I remembered.

Jeff McCloud (Robert Mitchum) is a rodeo cowboy. He tours endlessly the country riding mad bulls and wild horses until his body just gives up. He is penniless and homeless. He decides to revisit the place where he was born where he meets Wes and Louise Merritt (Arthur Kennedy and Susan Hayward). He works as a cowboy on a farm and they are hoping one day to be able to buy one themselves by saving money. But Wes gets the bug for rodeo. He realises he can earn a lot of money very quickly. His wife is very reticent; it's a mad and dangerous sport....

Nicholas Ray dispells any illusion you might be still harbouring about cowboys. This is a badly paid job and your only option is this rodeo riding if you want to earn some money. But, this world is just a pie in the sky! You might earn a fortune one day and be dead or crippled the next. The cowboys spend their evenings drinking and playing crap game until they have lost all their earnings. They all live in trailers. Robert Mitchum has never been better as Jeff McCloud; he is just a wanderer. He is in love with Louise (Susan Hayward), his partner's wife while hiding carefully his feelings. As for Wes, it's excellently played by Arthur Kennedy who usually had supporting roles in countless classics (High Sierra, Lawrence of Arabia, etc...). The relationship between the three characters are elaborate and all of them are very much three-dimentional figures. I was surprised to notice that Lee Garmes photographed this film: it's a very different universe from his most famous work at Paramount (City Streets, Zoo in Budapest)! I read (in Lee Server's bio of Mitchum) that the script was written as the film was shot. It certainly gave the actor perhaps this extra edge in their acting as they didn't know how the film would end. I certainly won't tell you how it ends, but it's very moving.....
I don't know if this RKO feature is shown often on TCM or other channels in the US, but if you have an opportunity, don't miss it! :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The Lusty Men is one of my favorite Mitchum movies. Though I don't like the ending myself, I agree it won't leave you unmoved!

I'd like to add that Arthur Hunnicutt gives a colorful turn as an eccentric rodeo oldster---living proof of what old rodeo cowboys end up as.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I, too, like The Lusty Men, and like Miss Goddess, do not care for the ending. But I do feel all of the lead roles were cast perfectly and acted equally well, and as usual Arthur Hunnicott never turned in a bad performance as far as I could see. Ann Harding's review was very special and needs no additions, it is one of my 'really liked' movies and although set in a Western scenario, the thoughts and actions could have been attributed to a couple working in a factory in Chicago or New York. Don't let the Western scope stop you from seeing this one when possible, it is not your typical western shoot em up.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Lusty Men (1952) Nick Ray

Post by moira finnie »

*bump*

The Lusty Men is scheduled to be aired on TCM at 6pm (ET). It may be one of the best Nicholas Ray films ever, right next to They LIve By Night (1949). It features a shaky triangular alliance formed by ne'er do well Robert Mitchum, a clear-eyed wife, played by Susan Hayward, and a naive and feckless Arthur Kennedy, all of whom do some of their best work in a tale set against the unusual background of life on the rodeo circuit. The story touches on dreams, delusions, loneliness, power struggles and the longing for and fear of intimacy. A beautifully done slice of Americana, with a nearly silent opening sequence that is simply beautiful, as a down and out Mitchum returns to his boyhood home.

Ray, whose female characters sometimes appear to be sketchy at best to me, brought out something special in Susan Hayward, who parks her usual spitfire tricks at the curb, creating a nuanced portrayal of a grown woman surrounded by boys, both of whom she happens to love.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Re: The Lusty Men (1952) Nick Ray

Post by MissGoddess »

Completely agree! I love this movie, I tend to loosely group it alongside The Misfits and Lonely Are the Brave for the tone and the characters.

P.S. I would add Bitter Victory as one of Ray's most brilliant yet little known films.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers